Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'04 A6 does not up-shift when it is cold....

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 01:44 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Asianicestyles
Sorry bud, but have you been in a cave lately?
I guess we can communicate without personal affronts, unless of course you've been living only in a cave and, understandably so, lack some manners.
(By the way, "cuz" is an abbreviation for "cousin")

Since when fuel is cold it doesn't vaporize as quick so when your engine is cold you're using a LOT of fuel but not necessarily burning it all.
That was exactly my point. Read again, because I'm not sure what else different you try to convey.

They have auto trans that can shift much faster than we can...
I'm not sure who are "they" and who are "we", but one thing is for sure. Delaying the shifting from 1st to second, while maintaining high RPMs is by no long shot "fuel economy".
Every automatic car I had so far (Nissan, Ford, Hyundai) didn't exhibit any shifting delay, even if the engine didn't reach the "proper" operating temperature. The fact that Audi has the shifting delay is also beside the point.
No matter how you look at it, reving up the engine while delaying the shifting (and that's valid for any gear) means anything else but fuel economy.
Besides... my commentary or question was solely directed at the VAG "quote", and not at someone's opinion(in this case 2001A6), anyway.

Nevertheless, your tone of addressing leaves something to be desired.
Thank you.

Last edited by chefro; 12-23-2008 at 01:48 AM.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:50 AM
1st Gear

Dude honestly WTF? I lack manners? I was replying to your post if you don't like what i said or how I said it...I really could care less. If you're not going to take my post into consideration then let it be I was trying to point something out to you but if you wanna make this a whole english/manners deal I aint gon try explain nothin else to ya bud.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:42 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by 2001A6
"To help the engine and catalyst warm up quickly
for reduced emissions, the transmission may
delay upshifts somewhat, resulting in
momentarily higher engine speeds. This is not
an operating problem, it’s simply an intelligent
system doing its job to manage emissions and
fuel economy." - VAG

I wasnt kidding!
Thanks for making it clear!

VAG says that the goal is reduced emissions. Heating is just a method to get to the goal, not the goal itself. If heat was the goal they would have talked about passenger comfort etc.

All it takes is a little logic and common sence. LOL

Old 12-23-2008, 03:56 PM
2nd Gear

I think we said the same thing, just in a different way. I could have been more specific I guess but o well, being VAG, everything is a little VAGue, lol.