Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 a6 2.7t losing coolant slowly

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 10:00 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: 02 a6 2.7t losing coolant slowly

it IS a VERY common cause of the leak and it is not a matter of IF it'llleak but more when

By the way, if you they replace it, they have to remove/move the intake at the top of the engine, so while you're at it spend 75-160$ or so on intake spacers/gaskets such as New South Power gaskets or VAST phenolic intake spacers.
I love mine, the engine runs cooler and is torquier atlow and mid RPM's. It'll be no labor since they'll already ahve the intake off.

here's what I have, they are the NewSouth Powergaskets for $75
http://www.gmpperformance.com/index....59555&VS=1
[blockquote]
PowerGasket™ gives you up to 5% more power from your engine by reducing the temperature of the incoming air to your engine. NewSouth Performance has designed an insulating gasket that radically reduces the heat transfer from the cylinder head to the intake manifold. This gives you cooler, denser air for more horsepower and performance from your engine. Made from a high performance polymer, PowerGasket™ conducts on average less than 1/500th of the heat of the steel gasket that it replaces. Your intake manifold will stay 30-50° F cooler and your incoming air will stay 20-30° F cooler. PowerGasket Plus™ is a composite material that has a significantly higher continuous operating temperature than the original PowerGasket and does not require the application of any extra sealant.

VAST makes those too, $160

Phenolic Intake Manifold Spacers
[2.7T, 2.2T, 2.3 ...]

$160.00

Click to enlarge
We're the first to release phenolics for the 2.7T, 2.2T/2.3, and 4.2 motors. Accept no other imitations out there without our research, build and install experience for hundreds of sets to date. These are ~10mm phenolic spacer kits. For the Audi 2.7T, Variations include: S4 intake manifold to S4 heads, RS4 Intake manifold to S4 heads, RS4 intake manifold to RS4 heads. We designed these from scratch and make them by hand. The intake manifold will be insulated from heat conduction through the heads, leading to lower intake air temps -extends the intake runner lengths for better low end torque. Expect a minimum of 5-10hp at the crank. Comes with all gasketing and bolts. Please see our other variants.

Note, on 2.7T installs, ***especially noted for APR BIPIPE USERS****. These fit with any version of bipipe or throttle body boot you may have but some timing belt covers with hard piped bipipes may need slight trimming on the unnecessary timing belt cover threaded bosses. You don't need the screw holes on the timing belt covers on the bipipe. It also helps to install the 2.7T spacers while slightly pushing back on the intake manifold to get good clearance to your mechanical fan.
[/blockquote]

Old 03-22-2008, 11:02 AM
1st Gear

thanks all. Ill see what they say today or on monday. Will keep everyone posted.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:53 PM
1st Gear

THE VERDICT IS IN !!!!!

Audi called me today and they said the problem lies in one of the turbos. It wasnt a leak after all. He said the turbo was burning up the coolant somehow, mentioned a defect on one or more of the fins on the turbo. Audi is going to take care of it for me, no cost. I will be getting a new pair of turbos installed and should have my car back by monday. The car is out of warranty too! Ive had it for 5 years, but the milage is only 42k. Maybe the decided to be nice because the milage is so low. Anyways, cheers to Audi. Stand up guys and I have a lot of respect for them for how they treated me. I was also given a loaner during the 3 weeks it took them to fix this, no cost to me. All of this is out of warranty.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:02 AM
2nd Gear

WOW impressive
ask them for KO4s as they are in a generous mood

Old 03-27-2008, 11:31 AM
3rd Gear

I'll add my WOW to the comments.

AUDI isn't all bad.... Makes me wonder how they can be such jerks about the MMI issues and then be so giving about the turbo. Maldorf must have the golden touch!

Old 03-27-2008, 11:49 PM
1st Gear

Guess I should mention that the dealership where I bought the car new at has a lifetime warranty on the engine and drive train. Audi took care of it for the dealership, if I understand the manager right. So perhaps it was the influence of the dealership and not me. The end result though is that I was taken care of and the problem is solved.
I DO HAVE ANOTHER ISSUE TO LOOK AT THOUGH! The electronic low oil level indicator is coming on intermittently now. The one that has the sensor sitting on the bottom of the oil pan. They told me to wait and see if it clears up after the turbos are fixed, probably a long shot but who knows. The sensor does not appear to be bad. He mentioned that it could be the cluster in the dash that is bad. Sound right?

Old 05-13-2008, 02:23 PM
1st Gear
Default DISMAL UPDATE STATUS

They have now replaced both turbos, head gaskets, and some other gaskets in the coolant lines. It is still losing coolant, no affect whatsoever. It takes about 350 miles from filling the coolant tank to where it will set the alarm off on the dash. SO the repairs done havent helped at all. Taking it back to the dealership on Monday. Everyone is stumped. ANyone have ideas? If you read this whole post youll see how they have exhausted about every option. Even called in a tech from Audi central to look at it. No signs of leaking anywhere, no traces of the dye.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:26 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: DISMAL UPDATE STATUS

Head Gasket??? The water has to be going somewhere!

Old 05-14-2008, 01:31 PM
1st Gear

They replaced both head gaskets and set the heads off to a shop to have them checked out. Its got to be something internal in the engine. I think the next step is a new engine.

Old 05-14-2008, 11:39 PM
1st Gear

Anyone got any other ideas?

Quick Reply: 02 a6 2.7t losing coolant slowly