Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'02 3.0L A6 poss. misfire/flashing check engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 09:01 PM
1st Gear
Default '02 3.0L A6 poss. misfire/flashing check engine

Hi All,
My Avant wagon has suddenly started to run like it is missing on one cylinder (low power/rough vibration). I took a peak into the engine compartment and one of the orange covers over one plug seemed to be about 3/8 inch higher than the rest. I snapped it down to the level of the rest but the symptoms persist. Also just started seeing the flashing check engine light.
Towed it to the shop for tomorrow, but any advice appreciated in the meantime.
Thanks in advance.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:48 PM
Site Moderator

If the coil pack has lifted off its seat, cylinder pressure is getting past the spark plug pushing up on the coil pack. Remove the coil pack and make sure the spark plug is torqued correctly. If that doesn't fix the misfire, its the coil packs themselves causing it. Those push down packs on the 3.0L are garbage, buy a whole set to replace all 6. www.ecstuning.com sells them.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:56 PM
1st Gear

Audi US has told me there is a recall (that they are not calling a recall) on the coil packs that could cover this repair, even with an independent shop. Any experience with that out there?

Old 08-03-2010, 11:49 PM
1st Gear

Yes, most Audi (and VW) coils are on a campaign right now. This includes all 1999-2007 engines with the push in type coils. Bolt ins are not though. Audi has gone with a new and better vendor for the coils to resolve the failure problem. Independents can't do it, only the dealer. We inspect the coils for part numbers and replace any that aren't on the good list, which is any original or replaced coil made before 2008. Call your dealer with your VIN and they can run it to see if this (and any other campaigns or RVU's) are open (or p/m me with the VIN and I can run it for you). If the MIL is flashing the tow to the dealer is also covered, provided the cause is a bad coil that is and 99.9% chance that it is in every one of those cases.

Just a note: If you've paid to have a coil or coils replaced due to a failure in the past, and have the receipt you can get reemburssed even if it was at an indie and/or aftermarket coils. Yes, aftermarket coils will be replaced under the campaign too. So far the new coils have been fail proof. Problem with the old vendors design is, water (even just plain old moisture from humidity) could migrate into the primary windings and cause failure.

One note: It's always a good idea to have a dealer check on campaigns or RVU's every once in a while if you aren't the original owner and haven't sent Audi the change of ownership card so notices will be sent to you. RVU's don't have notices sent, they are only improvements made during production that get applied to the previous cars (required vehicle updates). They aren't safety related or anything major (like coils). It's usually an ECM reflash to prevent false codes or to install an improved fastener on the ash tray or something like that. We are required to do them when the vehicle comes in for service unless the customer declines the RVU. RVU's have expiration dates, safety recalls do not. That's the short version of the very long recall, campaign, RVU procedure!

Last edited by aspen79; 08-03-2010 at 11:51 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:10 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by aspen79
This includes all 1999-2007 engines with the push in type coils.
Why does their website (http://www.audiusa.com/us/brand/en/o..._vehicles.html) only include 2001-2007 (and specifically - 2001: A4/TT; 2002: A4/A6/TT; 2003: A4/A6/AR/TT; etc)?? And you can look up your VIN on there, although it definitely didn't give me a whole lot of info (not that i need it haha).

Last edited by nm3210; 08-04-2010 at 01:12 AM.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:18 PM
1st Gear

Oops, it is 2001-2007. I was thinking of something else at the time. Sorry.............The campaign started on 1.8L first since they seemed to have the most problem and then additional engines and years were added little by little. They do this so the dealers aren't suddenly overwhelmed with appt's and of course, supply numbers. The vendor can only make the coils just so fast. The same applies to most campaigns. They send a certain number of notices to owners, then a couple weeks later, another batch........etc.

Doesn't matter anymore but, Audi (and VW) did have a TSB out that any vehicle that came in with a misfire caused by a dead coil would get all the coils replaced and that would satisfy the campaign, even if that engine or model hadn't specifically had an owners notice sent out yet.