Audi A5 This sleek mid-sized A5 coupe offers performance with a roomy interior.

Original sound system or B&O?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 07:15 AM
1st Gear
Default Original sound system or B&O?

Hi all, its my first post here =]

so i am considering to get a new A5 sportback 2012 model, and maybe i will add some options to it and i came across this thought. Is it really necessary to upgrade to B&O or does the original speakers will make no difference?

anything else should i be aware of this model? (i am a car newb)

any help is appreciated!

Old 05-17-2012, 02:58 PM
1st Gear

After having problems with the B&O system due to a water leak, and having driven a few vehicles(loaners because my car was being fixed) with the normal Audi sound system, I'm here to tell you there really isn't a dramatic difference in the sound systems. Outside of the DSP module and the enhanced speakers that B&O system had, I know it isn't worth the extra cost.

This is the first of my 3 Audi's I 've owned that do not have the stock Audi system. After living w/ the B&O system for 3 years, it just does not justify the cost.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:20 PM
1st Gear

I think it depends on your plans for the car. If you do not plan on making any changes to the sound system, then I would say go for the B&O--in the grand scheme of comparable premium sound systems, it is one of the better ones, and furthermore, not terribly expensive (though that is for you to decide). If, however, you plan on going the aftermarket audio route, then just get the standard.

I have the B&O and I have been happy with it in the context of an OEM system, but now I am starting to move in my own direction with audio upgrades and would have gotten the standard if I had planned on changing it from the start.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:47 PM
1st Gear

This is not a direct comparison but close. I drove a BMW 330XI with a Harman Kardon stock stereo with two small subwoofers for seven years. I then drove several Audis, some with B&O and some without. The first time I tried the B&O I told myself that this was the sound that I had been missing for seven years, even though the BMW was the "premium" stock audio system in the BMW. Now driving around with a new A5 Cab with my B&O stereo blasting with the top down. Worth it in my opinion.