Audi A5 This sleek mid-sized A5 coupe offers performance with a roomy interior.

B&O Sounds System stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 02:11 PM
Default B&O Sounds System stopped working

Hi peeps,

before I contact my dealer, I wanted to ask if anyone else has experienced loss in their B&O speakers. I returned to my car this afternoon, turned on the car only for my speakers to make an ear cringing POP, almost like a bang (no pun) - After turning the car off and then back on again, I only had sounds from the radio coming in the back speakers, I went through all the menu items and all seemed fine - then the sounds went all together! It wasn't until ten minutes later that my system made an electrical arching sound and came back on again.

Now, unless this does this whilst I am at the dealer, they are not going to believe me, especially if I explain my experience as well as I have here - so if anyone can explain to me from their own experiences, what the hell is going on, id be very grateful

Old 01-09-2010, 03:09 PM

I am surprised it actually came back on, as it sounds like you've lost an amplifier section. Honestly though, unless it happens again, and you take it to the dealer and it is still not working, it might be a bust. AFAIK the sound system is not covered under the regular vehicle warranty, and probably is covered by Bang & Olufsen.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:41 PM
1st Gear

Sounds like a possible amplifier surge which can cause the speakers to blow. They may still have sound coming through them at low power levels but I would include getting the speakers checked by the dealer as well. If the amplifier caused this, they should be able to test it on a bench and see where the problem is/was. If the speakers are blown, they should be able to detect crackling in one or more of the speakers at higher levels unless the POP you described was lower than peak power to the speakers. Regardless, I believe the dealer should have to deal with this issue vice B&O since it is part of the OE - unless of course the car is out of warranty. That all being said, I have the B&O system and have not had a similar problem. Good luck.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:46 AM

A5Pete - thanks for the reply. I have the car booked in next Monday, explained the situation to the dealer, and they were very understanding - 'I'll order you another amp - oh no, it's covered under warranty' he said.

Does make you wonder why AUDI decided to expose the amp like they have though, I mean I live up North, and it is forever raining - god only knows how many blow outs I am going to have....

I'll keep you posted and thanks for your comments.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by watherton
A5Pete - thanks for the reply.
Me = chopped liver.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:45 AM
1st Gear

Did you get your windows tinted?

Old 02-25-2010, 01:14 PM
1st Gear

I have not tinted my windows though I want to. I'm concerned it may be too dark at night. Plus, by law, no tint to the front windows is allowed and the back and rear to a max of 35% - legally. I believe it's a state law here. Why?