Audi A5 This sleek mid-sized A5 coupe offers performance with a roomy interior.

Audi A5/S5 child seats

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 12:10 PM
Default Audi A5/S5 child seats

Hi everyone,

I'm in the market for an A5 (potentially s5). I realize it's not convenient to have child seats in coupe cars, but the A5 will be our second car and not the main one that we'll use for driving the baby. So I'm Ok with it being somewhat inconvenient. Having said that, I want to make sure that we can safely install a child seat in the rear. I've read conflicting opinions and wanted to see if anyone had thoughts on using child seats with the A5 (or S5) . Can they actually be installed in a safe way and do you have any recommendations for child seat models?

Thanks!

Old 09-05-2010, 12:43 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

Pretty much any car with a LATCH system and you should be good to go. Any car seat you buy will be LATCH compatible.

I would recommend that for the initial installation you should see about having it installed by a "car safety seat technician". Most dealerships have one or two floating about on any given day. Local hospital is supposed to have a few (wont let you take a newborn home until seat is inspected). Local fire/police/ambulance folks usually have some on staff. These folks will check your seat to make sure it is installed correctly and show you how to make sure it is in properly after you take it out.

The biggest drawback to having child seats in any car (coupe or otherwise) is that some of the larger ones, with the detachable carrier and stuff, require you to put one of the front seats so far forward you can't put a normal sized person up front. If you don't plan on putting the kid in the Audi that often, look for a seat with a small footprint.

Final thought: more expensive is not necessarily better. There are plenty of reviews available on the web that show exactly that. Get whichever will work out best for you.