Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You wouldn't believe this<------------

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 01:08 PM
Default You wouldn't believe this<------------

I know this is a long post. If you take the time to read through it, let me know what you think.

So, my work week has been a little full, and I needed my oil changed. This is a 45min job tops, and I figured any place could take care of such a simple task... I was wrong.

Monday-11:00am-Call up a Sears Automotive to make sure they go get a Mobil1 oil filter for me and that they have some Mobil1 Full
Synthetic oil in-stock. Guy I speak with said they should have in about an hour. So I ran some other errands since
Monday is my day off, and went in later in the afternoon.

2:00pm -Arrive at Sears, they brought the wrong filter. So I had to wait a couple of hours for them to get the right one and
do the service.

4:30pm -Pay for the service. And the girl at the counter asks me, "Did they tell you about the issue with your dipstick?"....
I go outside to check this out. The plastic tube that the dipstick goes into had 3 splits going about 4" down, and
the top 1" was missing. The dipstick itself was broken near the top, and I could see little orange fragments every-
where...even down inside the tube... So I go back in, informing them that we have an issue here.

5:00pm -Manager finally agrees to pay for these repairs and flush out the oil, toss the filter, and redo the job. They call my
local Audi dealership to see if they have the parts.They say they do, but no-one has any way of getting it to
Sears today. So, I tell them I will pick them up myself, and bring them back here.

5:20pm -Get to the stealership, all they have is the dipstick... They said they told Sears this, it would take a day or two for
the tube piece to come in. So I call Sears and tell them this, they said they would give me a call on tuesday with
an update on when to bring my car back.

Tuesday- No call all day... So I call them at 5:00pm, guy said he has the part sitting in front of him... So I tell him to make sure he
has my oil and filter for tomorrow morning. (They open at 7:30, and I work at 10:00-so I needed to leave by 9:30
to get to work on time. Again, I was thinking this should be simple enough and take no longer than an hour...)

Wednesday-7:20am -Get to Sears and they start pulling the old tub off.

7:40am -Guy walks up to me and asks me to come to the managers office (out of sight from other customers) The part
they got from audi was the lower half of the tube, not the upper half...and of course audi is not open this early.
They tell me they will give me a call as soon as they have the part. A friend I work with lives nearby and gives
me a ride to work.

2:00pm -again no call... I call them up, they tell me the manager is running to get the part right now. So I tell themI
have a ride in a 1/2 hour, and will be down there to pick it up. So I take off work for an hour to go get my car.

3:00pm -My car is waiting for me, my ride takes off(they had an appt in the area), and I go inside to get my keys. I start
up my car, let it idle for about 2 seconds......when it idled down to 1k rpms, the whole car shaked...and I don't
mean a little vibration, no, it felt like there were 4 15" subs going full blast right behind me kind-of-shaking...
I pop the hood quickly, hear an air-leak and notice a loose hose... and quickly kill the engine....

Now I'm getting pissed... I storm back inside, they come out and take a look. "It must have happened when you
started the engine, I would have noticed this when I pulled the car out.." &lt;--This guy has the f*^&amp;ing nerve to
try and say this was my fault, that these plastic pieces were just brittle and breaking...MY CAR IS 5 YRS OLD!!!

What was broke was a T-joint connecting 3 hoses, right above the oil filter. It was snapped in half! The guy
finally admitted he must have broke it when he was breaking off the old dipstick tube... And I actually had to
debate with them on replacing this now... They said they could get this part for me tomorrow, that I would be
fine to drive it..."Your fuel/air ratio is just a little off, it'll shake at low rpms, but you can drive it...." &lt;--again,
are you f*&amp;^ing kidding me! I tell them f*&amp;^ no, and that I'm not driving it anywhere.

4:00pm -So I don't have a ride back to work... I tell them that they need to go get this f*^&amp;ing part right now so I can
leave. They call some places, and tell me that they will have the part here and my car fixed in 40 minutes...

6:45pm -My car is fixed... I tell this girl how upset I am about this whole situation. How my car was returned to me twice
with a new issue. After a couple of minutes of me cussing them out, she says "I don't want this to affect our
integrity. It's not like we tried returning your car to you broken, I told you about the dipstick issue."

.............[sm=bangbang.gif]

1) You told me about that, [sm=smiley32.gif], not the other stuff...
2) I shouldn't have to gripe at you people for you to fix anything you broke. A good company would take care of
these issues, no questions asked.
3) After a 3-day oil change, your integrity doesn't mean s*&amp;^ to me anymore.

So.... has anyone had any issues like this before? Or what do you think about my experience?

Old 12-22-2007, 01:23 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: You wouldn't believe this<------------

Taking an Audi to a Sears auto shop or The Bay or Walmart or anywhere else where the same company will sell you thongs and bras is just asking for trouble.. I'm not saying you deserve it, GOD NO... No one does but this level of service is what you can expect to get from these retards...... Here in Canada, I would never take it anywhere but my VW mechanic who knows these cars inside and out.... See if you can find a good mechaninc who you can trust and remember, if the price to do somehtng is dirt cheap, so is the help. I've had my share if retard mechanics so now I bite the bullet, pay a fair price and walk away with some peace of mind.

Old 12-22-2007, 01:24 PM
1st Gear

hahahaha wow, thats why i do all my work myself, oil change takes no more than 20 min with minimum tools, but ****, sorry to hear that man, i'd go through the roof if somethign like that happened.

Old 12-22-2007, 01:24 PM
1st Gear

I would believe it...I used to work for a Jiffy Lube in south Tampa. I saw some guys there do some of the stupidist **** you could imagine. And I don't know how many times I saw a car get filled with oil, started, and driven out of the bay BEFORE there was any oil ever drained out of it. After working for them, I will never take a car there, or any other quick lube place, unless I know the people that are working on the car.

Old 12-22-2007, 01:37 PM
6th Gear

I would have killed them all if they did that to me, but thats why I DIY so if anything gets FUBAR'd I'm the only one to blame.

Sorry to hear it took em 3 days to change your oil though, did ou at least get it for free since they f'd up?

Old 12-22-2007, 01:40 PM
3rd Gear

That sucks good do hear they fixed it all.

Old 12-22-2007, 01:42 PM
1st Gear

1st mistake - Taking your car to Sears to have you oil changed.
2nd mistake - Actually letting them touch your car.
3rd mistake - Coming here and admitting it.

You drive an Audi for a reason, don't neglect the MOST important maintainance item by taking it to a bunch of morons. Quit trying to save a few bucks and take your car to the dealer or qualified Audi or VW tech for service. Quick change oil shops don't care that you drive a $30,000 audi, it's all about getting you in and out as quickly as possible. They don't take pride in their work or attention to detail, it's all about volume. It's just another car to them.

Old 12-22-2007, 02:23 PM
1st Gear

That blows. You should have had them tow it to another place and pay for their service. I would recommend doing the changes yourself. I just watched the jiffy lube scam video clip on here. Seems like shakedowns are common, do the changes yourself!

Old 12-22-2007, 02:30 PM

Don't get me wrong, I'm a DIY guy myself. I just didn't have a lot of free time this week to mess around with it, I only have one day off. That day was booked with other stuff I had to take care of.

Plus-this was only an oil change&lt;- not something you would think could get this messed up(on any car!)

Of course I was not charged for anything, after yelling at the mangager for a few minutes.

And AvantSport - Clearly the first two are obvious mistakes, but posting this isn't - more so a warning to anyone who may stumble into the same issue. Had nothing to do with trying to save a few bucks(would have just done myself if that were the case). I had 1 day off, figured they could do it since I was going to be in the area doing most of my holiday shopping anyway. Really just trying to save myself some time, not a mistake I'll make again.

Old 12-22-2007, 04:08 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: duburban

That blows. You should have had them tow it to another place and pay for their service. I would recommend doing the changes yourself. I just watched the jiffy lube scam video clip on here. Seems like shakedowns are common, do the changes yourself!
Hey duburban,

Can you give me the direct link to the jiffy lube scam vid????

Thanks

Quick Reply: You wouldn't believe this<------------