Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WRX vs A4 quattro...

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 08:18 PM
Default WRX vs A4 quattro...

So im in the market for a new car, something used in the under 20k price range. I want AWD or 4x4 because I will be moving to the mountains soon, and my beat up toyota 4x4 isn't up to the DD task. I plan to use it as a DD, take on road trips, the occasional outdoor/camping adventure, and I had aspirations of the occasional autox or track day but who knows. I need something thats reliable, easy to maintain (im not exactly a mechanic, but I do alright with my own work on stuff), and id like something sporty, I want a manual and fuel mileage is a concern for me. I've ruled out suvs for the most part since the mileage isnt great, theyre boring and I already have a 4x4, although I kind like the Acura MDX. I have narrowed my choices down to a Subaru WRX wagon and anAudi A4 with quattro. So far these seem to fit the criteria the best and I cant decide very easily between the two. Let me know what you guys think, being Audi owners. Are there any notorious or re-occuring problems one has? Upkeep a pain? Is it everything youd ever hoped for?

Old 12-22-2007, 08:34 PM
tdn
2nd Gear
Default RE: WRX vs A4 quattro...

I might not be much help, but have you considered a b5 s4? you can find them with 50k miles for around $15k. that and a chip, makes it a great car. more expensive on repairs, but with that extra 5k saved for a rainy day... unless you plan on getting financed then, I'd go with an a4. Subaru will be more reliable, but not nearly as nice of a dd in my opinion.. though neither are much for track cars stock/chipped so you'll have to spend atleast a few grand afterwards.

I'm no expert, so I'll end it there.

Old 12-22-2007, 08:35 PM
1st Gear

as for your awd concern...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4TfbcvRg7MY

Old 12-22-2007, 08:37 PM
1st Gear

Sounds like a wrx is more your style. If your going from a yota to an audi and looking for easy maintenance at the same time, you might give yourself a headache by buying an audi. I'm sure a 20k dollar audi wouldn't give you trouble right away but in the long run... Id feel a lot better taking a wrx on an outdoor camping trip than an audi. I'm not bashing Audi but if i didn't start getting my hands dirty i'd be out loads of money of repairs. Drives incredible for a car with 170k but i used to own a suby and never touched it with a wrench. Sweet ride either way!

Old 12-22-2007, 09:03 PM
2nd Gear

well AWD and some off road camping/mountains.... maybe a Audi Allroad is your cup of tea

Old 12-22-2007, 09:29 PM

Im currently looking at an Audi right now, 2004, 1.8t Quattro, 51k miles, great condition, for 16k. Turns out after all the related costs (tax, reg, and the much higher insurance of a fully covered car) has dropped my cap to16k or so. Really thinking about pulling the trigger on it, the only real thing holding me back is that ive heard a few times that audis can be a bear on small little things going wrong with them here and there that nickle and dime you to death, but I have no real basis for that and was trying to prove it one way or the other through you guys.

PS the camping is very occasional, but still something I was keeping in mind.

Old 12-22-2007, 09:54 PM
3rd Gear

Look at the avant (audi wagon) which is more in line with the subaru outback or wrx wagon. An A4 Avant only weighs about 200 lbs more than the A4 sedan, and you'll have room in the back for when you need it.

Old 12-23-2007, 03:50 AM
Administrator

All I got to say is that the Audi would be a more comfortable car.

While the Subaru would be easier to maintain.

Good luck on your purchase/hunt for your new car.

Old 12-23-2007, 04:26 AM
3rd Gear

They will both probably handle the same. Its either the Luxory of the audi and being less reliable Or the WRX being alot less luxory but will never fail you.

Old 12-23-2007, 08:31 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: christyle

So im in the market for a new car, something used in the under 20k price range. I want AWD or 4x4 because I will be moving to the mountains soon, and my beat up toyota 4x4 isn't up to the DD task. I plan to use it as a DD, take on road trips, the occasional outdoor/camping adventure, and I had aspirations of the occasional autox or track day but who knows. I need something thats reliable, easy to maintain (im not exactly a mechanic, but I do alright with my own work on stuff), and id like something sporty, I want a manual and fuel mileage is a concern for me. I've ruled out suvs for the most part since the mileage isnt great, theyre boring and I already have a 4x4, although I kind like the Acura MDX. I have narrowed my choices down to a Subaru WRX wagon and anAudi A4 with quattro. So far these seem to fit the criteria the best and I cant decide very easily between the two. Let me know what you guys think, being Audi owners. Are there any notorious or re-occuring problems one has? Upkeep a pain? Is it everything youd ever hoped for?
BTW what's a DD?????

Quick Reply: WRX vs A4 quattro...