Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worth getting an A4 w/ quattro over a BMW 3-series?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 07:13 PM
1st Gear
Default Worth getting an A4 w/ quattro over a BMW 3-series?

Yes, yes... I can already smell a flame war, but I've been looking to buy an BMW e36 (1992-1999) 325 or 328 (I really wanted an e30 325ix for the all wheel drive, buuuuut they're kinda scarce) and I figured I may be better off with a B5 A4 2.8 (30v) with Quattro (edit:The amount I have to spend seems to limit me to 1996 and 1997 models) as I spend a lot of time driving to ski resorts and generally farking around in less than favorable road conditions.

Now, I know all about the capabilities of quattro and what-not, I drove an A4 avant wtih quattro for almost 2 years, what I need to know is about the reliability of these cars above 150K miles.

Unfortunately, my allowance for the car is just under $6000us, which looks like it will buy me a decent 325 and a few basic mods (parts for BMWs are more abundant than for Audis, and generally seem to cost less), or an alright A4 that sounds like it'll need a few grand worth of parts and service within a few months of getting one.

I don't want this thread to be about performance, I've driven both and I'm looking more for a fun car that'll go fast when I want and get me somewhere safely when I'd rather take the winding snowy back dirt road, not the absolute powerhouse that a lot of you are probably looking for. I'm really just looking for info about the dependability of these cars and how much money I'll have sunk into it after a year.

Old 11-23-2006, 07:21 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: Worth getting an A4 w/ quattro over a BMW 3-series?

having quattro is way worth it

Old 11-23-2006, 07:22 PM
4th Gear

Money wise, thats gonna depend on the car you buy... Your gonna wanna buy a car thats very clean, lowest miles avalible for your money range and one that has been taken on a regular basis to get looked at or checked up on. Make sure you check the carfax, make sure you know the cars past (What state it was in, Accidents etc...) Also if above 60k miles *Which for 6k US it will be* find out if the timing belt has been changed... If everything is 100% then basic mantnience should keep the car running perfect. Just read our forums for a few days, you can actually learn alot

Old 11-23-2006, 07:41 PM
1st Gear

Just read our forums for a few days, you can actually learn alot
That's what I've been up to... Here and bimmerforums... And I have certainly learned a lot about both cars.

And yeah, whatever car I get, unless the seller can show me receipts for a recent timing belt/chain change and fluids and what-not, it'll be in the shop getting it done before I start using the car daily...

Old 11-23-2006, 11:28 PM
4th Gear

Good to hear

Old 11-23-2006, 11:49 PM
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Old 11-24-2006, 01:16 AM
4th Gear

Well, dont buy one with 150k on it already if you can help it.

for 6k, find the lowest miles A4 quattro, probably 6cyl that you can find.

If you can find one that has a good service history, 6cyl, and say 110k, you should have a very reliable car that will get you around the snow in style.

If well taken care of, the a4 is an extremely reliable vehicle. And it will last a long time as well. Search for the thread here titled "how many miles are on your car?".

Old 11-24-2006, 01:30 AM
2nd Gear

a 96, 97 2.8 its 12v... u can find a good audi for $6500 but i looked for a bmw in the same price range and it was all 94's and 318's or very high miles...

Old 11-24-2006, 01:34 AM
1st Gear

Well, I just picked up a 96 a4 quattro for 6k, with 55k miles on it. Its got the winter package, new brakes, new tires.. I got it off of ebay. I sold my truck a week and a half ago and spent the time looking for a car. Ebay rocks. The best part was that the car was only 15 minutes from my house. I know its a rare find, but...Its worth it to keep looking. I wouldn't go with a car over 80k personally. If you can't afford one, you can't.. But don't look to get another 50k miles out of car with 100k w/out knowing its maintanence history. Because the cars that hit 150-200k were taken care of very well. But look around and see what you can find.

Old 11-24-2006, 02:18 AM

IMO, I would get the A4 over the E36. You kinda answered your own question about which car to buy, because you'll be driving it in the snow and other "less than favorable road conditions". If you like the Bimmer, then get the 325ix, if you can find one. Gotta have the four wheel drive though, especially if you're gonna play in the snow. Keep looking... you'll eventually find what you're looking for, whether it be an A4 or an E36.

Quick Reply: Worth getting an A4 w/ quattro over a BMW 3-series?