Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

worst luck. please help....

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 05:08 PM
1st Gear
Default worst luck. please help....

ok. driving home had the car in second gear about 4k rpms... let off to come to a corner. utilizing the engine braking to make the slow down , got back on the throttle, and it moved. but no power and the car sounded like it was underwater. like a subaru almost. i nursed it home and check all my coilpacks. im fine. when reving up at 1/4 throttle the noise cannot be heard as soon as you give the car any more throttle. it sounds like sh**.?!?!

i was thinking maybe valve related but i was not over revving the car at all. i was low on coolant...barely. hardly any at all. the coolant light hadn't even come on.
i am still boosting fine, oil pressure is ok. wtf!>!>

car has 90k. thanks

Old 12-14-2007, 05:15 PM
Default RE: worst luck. please help....

Does ur oil have coolant in it? Thats odd.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:19 PM
1st Gear

would that cause it to do it. my car has a minute coolant leak that i have been trying to find. i am running synthetic. i just had the oil changed a few weeks ago. by one of those jiffy lube places.......even if those morons didnt put in synthetic it wouldnt cause this would it. what do you recommend?

Old 12-14-2007, 05:39 PM
3rd Gear

Maybe Plugs???

Old 12-14-2007, 05:47 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiCAJ8ULnaI
I honestly have no idea on your car due to not seein it. If your head gasket is blown there maybe coolant in the oil. CHeck the simple stuff first, shorts,how are u sure the coil packs are fine?,how are the plugs any of em more worn then the other?,pull the codes as the CEL doesn't always go on. Sounds like ur car is starvin for fuel if its makin that deep boxer note. My bikes sound like that when they are on their last putt that or when i blew an ignition coil on my ZX-6,it was still rideable but wouldn't pull past 130(out of a 154 top speed thats significant) and would stall if the clutch was pulled in from high RPMs. The engine makin any loud or odd mechanical noises. Pop the hood and have someone else rev it and drive past. Simple stuff is usually/ hopefully the problem. Vag-com first i think its autozone that does it free and psot the codes.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:53 PM
1st Gear

i am going to change the oil and plugs. will let you know how it sounds. then i will pull codes if it doesnt go away

Old 12-14-2007, 06:10 PM

no u don't understand, look at the oil for coolant or any abormal feel or color or tints or hues to it.If the coolant isn't leakin on the ground when u are lettin the car warm up or are lettin it cool down,never makes no steam and doesn't show any sign of leaks on the hoses or radiator the head gasket may be done. If i were u i'd pull the codes first and check the oil if its pissin coolant like that with no puddles or visible leaks.

Old 12-14-2007, 06:13 PM

Changin the oil doesn't fix a head gasket,lots of labor and mucho dinero do. Any over heating problems? Does the temp gauge go past the halfway point? Were u low on coolant in the radiator or overflow? When was the last time u checked ur coolant? If the anwsers never then hopefully the place that changed it just didn't top off the overflow and its a coil pack. I ask again how did u check the coil packs?

Old 12-14-2007, 06:41 PM
1st Gear

coil packs.
remove plugs in pack. ground them. crank over car. look for spark

Old 12-14-2007, 07:10 PM

Not 100% fool proof. The engines not under load, your problem as stated by you occurs under load. Pull the codes,but as stated previously when was the last time u changed/checked the coolant and how long have u owned the car.

Quick Reply: worst luck. please help....