Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Wipers, comments please......

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 02:13 AM
1st Gear
Default Windshield Wipers, comments please......

Driving down the street on a snow day and windshield is kinda dirty so I pull on the wiper arm and unleash the fury of our shitty washer fluid nozle and man do those things suck one squirts the car behind me to the right lol but anyway my wipers turn on and man it made it worse than what it was. It was like wiping it with a dirty greasy cloth... Took some glass cleaner when I got home cleaned the windshield off and then lifted up the wiper arm and wiped it down more than 5 times with the glass cleaner solvent, and on the rag that i cleaned it with there is black grease all over it??? WTF? cleaned it another bunch of times same thing on both wiper arms. Called the dealer they want $68 for new windshield wipers... is this a reasonable price? I went to a local store and looked at the higher end wipers and they came out to about $55-65 anyone know what I should do or if this has happened to you? When I got the car they worked fine took it once in for service and they applied some sort of coating on it and now it is FACKOCKED and I am pissed off...sorry about the rant but any suggestions?

Old 01-03-2008, 11:17 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Windshield Wipers, comments please......

anyone????

Old 01-03-2008, 11:55 AM
1st Gear

Go to advanced auto, napa, or whatever and buy some wipers that fit. They should be able to look it up. Someone just asked this question and was given exact sizes so you'll be able to find that post.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:57 AM
1st Gear

But could I clean out all that grease? Where is all the grease coming from?

Old 01-03-2008, 09:51 PM
2nd Gear

idk where the grease is comming from but i would go to a store and buy bosch icons. there about $40 and you wont be sorry at all

Old 01-03-2008, 10:50 PM
Administrator

Hell, I spent $20 on Anco winter blades and they're just as excellent now as they have been for the 13 years I've used them so far. No need to spend $40-60 on f*cking wiper blades.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:29 AM
2nd Gear

'02 and up, can't get regular blades from a regular parts house. Different mounts.

Use Glass Scrub:

on the windshield, and an alcohol wipe on the blades.
I know Checkers/Schuck's/Kragen has the glass scrub, and the Trico blades they sell come with alcohol wipes, so bum one of the extra unused ones off of them.

I've got the same squirter problem and use it on tailgaters. I like it.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:40 AM
5th Gear

check your windshield fluid. there's no need for wipers that cost that much. just get winter blades that cost about 20 bux well it would probably cost like 30 in your area. don't ever go to the dealership for anything unless it's like a special clip or something. as far as the nozzles go, mine does the same thing, hell it shoots all the way over my car lol. and i think it only takes like 15 squirts including squirting the headlights when the light shows up saying i'm low haha.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:46 AM
3rd Gear

That's not grease, it's the blade's rubber protective coating or the rubber itselfactually.I think the windex eats at it, so don't do that. LOL - I have had the same wipers on my car since I bought it in 2002.

Hey Highwords, when I first got the car, I swore there was a washer fluid leak, because mine gets low real fast too with seemingly little use.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:01 AM
1st Gear

The black that you get when wiping the rubber blades is oxidized rubber and is normal. I have found that when using the washers you have to just tap the lever quickly and the headlight washers don't come up that way. Three or four quick taps usually does it. Buying the fluid two gallon at a time gets expensive at todays prices. Seems last year it was $.79 a gallon now its closer to $1.99 most places. Must be tied to crude oil Huh? LOL

Quick Reply: Windshield Wipers, comments please......