Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windows with a mind of there own

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 07:32 PM
2nd Gear
Default Windows with a mind of there own

So my drivers side windo has been freaking out. Every 3rd or 4th time i roll the window up. It stays up for a second and then it opens about a 1/4 of the way down. I out it back up and i comes down again. i have to repeat this process numerous times before finally the window will stay up. Any ideas? im guessing its just a wiring issue that will be next to impossible to track down and diagnose.

Old 08-04-2006, 07:34 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Windows with a mind of there own

take your door panel off and see if something is stuck.. it's a safety feature for the window to roll back down if something gets stuck.. i don't know, it's worth a shot.

Old 08-04-2006, 07:34 PM

keep the button pressed all the way up then do the same all the way down this will reset the memory

Old 08-04-2006, 07:38 PM
2nd Gear

Perfect thats what i was looking to hear from both of you!!! I love these forums . Ill try the mem reset first, and if that doesnt work ill open the door up and check it out.

Old 08-04-2006, 08:39 PM
1st Gear

it could be your window regulator. about two months after i bought my 01 a4 i had to replace both back ones and the front passenger one. my windows did the same thing...but they made a grinding noise too. first they'd go up then come down then back up then stay down....it sucked and set me back about $400. (the first one that broke i took it somehwhere, when my front and back passenger sides went out i bought the regulators at egermanparts.com and did it myself...saved a sh*t load of money that way).

but anyway if its not grinding or making any nosies it might not be the regulator....

Old 08-05-2006, 01:53 AM

My passenger side rear window does that on the highway... For me it was caused by the top right corner window molding... not sure if its the actual molding... it is the felt looking material that helps seal the window when closed... either way, at highway speeds the wind is enough to move that corner of the felt/rubber stuff out and it gets stuck on top of the window. The window then rolls back down. I just firmly pushed it back into place and it hasnt done it since.

good luck!

Old 01-07-2007, 11:18 AM
1st Gear

Talk about reviving an old thread! This happened to me today too. Couldnt figure out why the hell my driver side window kept rolling down. Finally I decided the best bet would bo to simply park the car within sight as I went to grab some food. I'll have to try the memory reset trick you guys mentioned. I wonder, if the windows are sensitive enough so that the single millimeter of tint causes a restriction....

Old 01-07-2007, 12:10 PM

tint should be no problem but ant moss or dirt build up in the guide will cause problems ensure the windows operate smoothly

Old 01-07-2007, 01:28 PM
1st Gear

Also having this happen to my rear windows. Upon taking them apart I found two reasons why this was occuring.

1) There is a little white plastic clip in the regulator guide channel that if worn, chipped or broken it will make the window tilt very slightly which will cause resistance which will make the window stop (because I guess it thinks there is an obstruction present i.e hand, childs head etc.). I bought a used regulator which solved the problem on one window. I'm not sure if that plastic clip is sold seperately.

2) On my other window the window channel gasket was worn causing that same resistance. NOW, here is the catcher, be prepared for a shock on how much that gasket cost. Don't ask me how much because my brain has blocked this $number out. Either the parts guy at the dealer didn't know what he was doing or AUDI has completely lost their mind.

hope this helps

Old 01-07-2007, 01:47 PM

lost their mind is a gimmick they know exactly what it costs and in most casesthe guidesneed lubing ( when was the last time you serviced your windows ?? ) or your locks for that matter WD40

Quick Reply: Windows with a mind of there own