Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

windows malfunctioning

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 03:47 PM
Default windows malfunctioning

I have a 2002 A4 Avant and the windows are not working. First, the rear window safety override button (located on driver's door) kept "tripping"off periodically (as if there was a short somewhere) so that the rear windows could not be operated by the rear passengers. Now the safety switch is permanently tripped and only stays in the off position. Then, the front passenger and driver window's stopped operating, when using the switch located on each particular door. In other words, the passenger can't operate his window, the rear passenger's can't operate their windows, the driver can't operate his window. But the driver can operate the other three windows (just not his own).

Trying to get an idea if this is something I can fix easily by a simple door panel removal, or if it is part of some major electrical repair job. Thanks for your help.

Old 11-06-2007, 01:42 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: windows malfunctioning

the same happend to my 98'. For whatever reason they just seemed to start working again. Someone once told me that I neede to have the ecu cleared by the dealership. Call your dealer and ask if they can help.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:05 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: windows malfunctioning

haha same thing just happened to me i just fixed it today. most likely its not the wiring or anything major like that its probably just the switches going bad. you can test them by taking the door panel off (not that hard just take out 2 screws and lift up) and switching they wires around. for example on mine they all worked except for the drivers window. to test it i took the wires that control the left rear window and plugged it into the switch for the drivers window. i know the switch had gone bad because the back window wouldnt roll down using the drivers window switch.

now you can order new switches and i dont think they cost all that much. but all i did was switch the drivers window switch with the left rear passanger switch. so now i can roll down my window and even though a rear passanger couldnt roll down there window i can still roll it down using the drivers switch for the rear window. make sense?

Old 11-06-2007, 05:55 PM
1st Gear
Default Drivers door window switches

I would replace the driver door window switches. You can do as "nwrandal" said because he is talking about a 01 or older and you have a 02. Also the door panel is harder to remove than he discribed. There are several screws behind trim strip, 2 behind grab handle and on on bottom center. Then there are 9-10 clips, you have to pop them out to get the panel off. Then the switch is pretty easy to replace. If you need the part check out: www.avalonmotorsports.com they may not have it on their website but they can get it.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:35 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Drivers door window switches

Master window switch, common problem on the B6.