Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wierd Noise from Engine---a movie is better then words

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 04:50 PM
1st Gear
Default Wierd Noise from Engine---a movie is better then words

Hi all, I normally use the search engine to find answer to my question but this time I didn't know what to look for.

So yeah yesterday I fooled a bit in the snow doing 360s and ****...

Today again I was with a friend and we went drifting for 30 sec or so.

After droppping him off my engine started doing a wierd noise - high pitch rev- note that it doesnt seem to be comming from the engie itself but near it. I can't seem to figure out from wehre tought.

Also I don't have the power steering functional anymore. I looked at the hydrolic reservoir and it was ok. note that the liquidwas all bubbly is that normal ?

So here is a video of the sound it makes.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Sly

Old 12-31-2007, 05:27 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Wierd Noise from Engine---a movie is better then words

Sounds to me like a noisy pulley. I had the exact same sound previously when an idler pulley had bearings squealing. Mine sounded just like supercharger whine. From the video, that's almost identical to whatI had going on. It could be other things, like alternator bearings or water pump, any high pitched whine that matches RPMs is going to be SOMETHING on the acessory belt route. That's where I'd start at least.

hope it helps... however vague it may have been.

-Ryan

Old 12-31-2007, 05:29 PM
1st Gear

So if I coincide this with my new power steering problem I guess the assesory belt drives the power steering shaft.

Hummmm I will have to look into that then thanks for the input really appreciated.

Old 12-31-2007, 05:44 PM
4th Gear

It could also be the power steering pump itself giving out. I've got a leak on my steering rack, and I first noticed it when enough fluid had leaked that the pump started having trouble, it makes a loud whining sound like that when it's not running properly. That could alsoexplain the bubbles in your PS fluid.