Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wierd burning smell of rubber..

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 01:38 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: wierd burning smell of rubber..

ORIGINAL: Cameron

Good to hear you solved it juice. I remember one time I was showing my friend my launching skills, but I got the RPMs too high by accident and slipped the clutch through first and burned up the clutch. We laughed about it and moved on, until a couple minutes later when the smell of the clutch filled the cabin and overwhelmed us so much that even driving with all four windows open, AC blasting didn't help. We sacked up and dealt with it.
once i was running through the shifts very quickly etc. but i popped it into third kept going, and suddenly my RPM's shot right up, at first i thought i lost traction but then i realized i was burning up my clutch. i still dont know how it happened. it didnt feel like it was grinding or anything and i didnt do that little trick where you accidently put it halfway into gear, it was all the way in just like normal. it happened again a couple of weeks later, i mustve been doing something wrong [:@]

Old 12-29-2005, 01:47 AM
3rd Gear

your clutch will last longer if you "heel toe" shift. match those rpms when you downshift.

Old 12-29-2005, 06:19 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: sandman

your clutch will last longer if you "heel toe" shift. match those rpms when you downshift.

what exactly is heel toe shifting, i never really found out.

Old 12-29-2005, 06:21 PM
2nd Gear

double clutchin' haha

Old 12-29-2005, 08:22 PM
4th Gear

When was lat time your clutch was changed? The clutch is a very distinct smell. If you drive in 1st gear your RPM's are high but your car does not accelerate then its ur clutch could happen in 2nd gear also. The smell is somewhat close.

ORIGINAL: juice88

lately ive been smelling burnt rubber but im not peeling out or anything. at first, i thought it was my tires having low tire pressure, so i got them all aired up since they were low. i didnt really smell it too much until a few minuties ago. i was just at walmart to pick up some rhino ramps because my snub just came in. well when i was driving it up on the ramps, i smelled the burnt rubber again. i knew for a fact it wasnt my tires cuz i eased it up on the ramps. then i started to think maybe it was my timing belt. so i lifted it up and i smelled it. what i want to ask is, do timing belts smell of burnt rubber when they are about to go? if they are then thats ok because it is covered under warranty.([sm=groupwave.gif]) some feedback would be great. thanks.

Old 12-30-2005, 02:43 AM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: IWantAnA4

it would be more accuratley described as big toe little toe shifting. you know how when you downshift and let out the clutch your rpms increase, well "heel toe shifting is when you push in on the clutch, down shift and break and blip the gas at the sametime with your bigtoe on the break and the pinky on the gas, then let out the clutch. the down shift will be smooth and unnoticable to passreners if done right. you can practice it by not using the break, you know in safe situations when only a downshift is needed. push in the clutch blip the gass to where you think the rpms will be when you let out the clutch. it takes practice, and heel toeing it on our cars is a bit tough because the break and gas pedal arent even.

Old 12-30-2005, 03:03 AM
2nd Gear

it could be from the clutch but i have the same problem sometimes when i rev the rpm to like 5-6 grand i smell burnt rubber smell just like you were saying. my friend took it to the shop and looked at it i had a small oil leak. it wasnt a big problem but im guessing it was the burnt smell of the oil bc if it was something big i think check engine would of popup rite away. take it sumwhere to look at it.

Old 12-30-2005, 03:11 AM
4th Gear

I don't know, but burnt oil smells like nothing but burnt oil. maybe your engine is out runing your belt. ( belt sliping.) just a guess.

Old 12-30-2005, 06:45 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: IWantAnA4

it would be more accuratley described as big toe little toe shifting. you know how when you downshift and let out the clutch your rpms increase, well "heel toe shifting is when you push in on the clutch, down shift and break and blip the gas at the sametime with your bigtoe on the break and the pinky on the gas, then let out the clutch. the down shift will be smooth and unnoticable to passreners if done right. you can practice it by not using the break, you know in safe situations when only a downshift is needed. push in the clutch blip the gass to where you think the rpms will be when you let out the clutch. it takes practice, and heel toeing it on our cars is a bit tough because the break and gas pedal arent even.

thank you....im going to start practicing that