Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wierd burning smell of rubber..

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 12:16 AM
2nd Gear
Default wierd burning smell of rubber..

lately ive been smelling burnt rubber but im not peeling out or anything. at first, i thought it was my tires having low tire pressure, so i got them all aired up since they were low. i didnt really smell it too much until a few minuties ago. i was just at walmart to pick up some rhino ramps because my snub just came in. well when i was driving it up on the ramps, i smelled the burnt rubber again. i knew for a fact it wasnt my tires cuz i eased it up on the ramps. then i started to think maybe it was my timing belt. so i lifted it up and i smelled it. what i want to ask is, do timing belts smell of burnt rubber when they are about to go? if they are then thats ok because it is covered under warranty.([sm=groupwave.gif]) some feedback would be great. thanks.

Old 12-28-2005, 12:31 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: wierd burning smell of rubber..

Are we talking about "I can't see from the front of garage to the back" smell of burned rubber, or just a little smell? I have had a little smell from time to time, but have not seen anything to worry about.

Old 12-28-2005, 12:34 AM
Administrator

Kelly, your Avatar looks awesome...

Juice.. try to see if you can hire a hound dog and track down the smell.. or use your own nose.. but you might have a belt about to go

Old 12-28-2005, 12:53 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: Redgoat

Kelly, your Avatar looks awesome...

Juice.. try to see if you can hire a hound dog and track down the smell.. or use your own nose.. but you might have a belt about to go
ya well thats what im thinking.

Old 12-28-2005, 01:05 AM
3rd Gear

check the dipstick, is the oil level too high? sometimes an overfill of oil can cause a burning rubber type of smell

Old 12-28-2005, 01:33 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: sandman

check the dipstick, is the oil level too high? sometimes an overfill of oil can cause a burning rubber type of smell
no actually i have to get my oil changed in about 50 miles, so it wouldnt be that

Old 12-28-2005, 01:36 AM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: juice88

ORIGINAL: sandman

no actually i have to get my oil changed in about 50 miles, so it wouldnt be that
Clutch??

Old 12-28-2005, 02:19 AM
2nd Gear

Im thinking clutch too.

Old 12-28-2005, 03:07 AM
Site Moderator

Could also be a locked up caliper and the pad is burning away... If thats the case you will end up with a warped rotor and vibrations when braking... You never know.. But if you smelled it after driving up the ramps it could deffinately be the clutch. My gut tells me clutch though.

Old 12-28-2005, 04:02 PM
2nd Gear

i just got a new clutch in a few weeks ago..

Quick Reply: wierd burning smell of rubber..