Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whining sound from engine...and another

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 04:23 PM
1st Gear
Default Whining sound from engine...and another

I'm not sure if it is normal but my car makes this whinning sound all the time. I'm not sure if its supposed to sound like that, i dont think its the turbo, kind of sounds like the noise that the engine makes when a bad ground is made or something. I can't figure out where it is comging from or what it is. The car is a 98 1.8tq. I'm giong to try and upload a sound byte soon.

I bought the car with a sony deck in it, i've found that the radio doesn't work and the front speakers are the only ones that are working. i dont know if it was a bose or not because the orig. one was removed. i'm going to take pics of other questionable items i have and am wondering about...

thanks for all of you help in advance.

Old 11-02-2006, 04:29 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Whining sound from engine...and another

If you got an owners manual with your car there should also be pamphlets regarding the audio system. They should indicate wether or no you have bose. Also your speaker covers should have a Bose badge on them if it is/was a bose setup. Does the whine/bad ground "sound" come from your speakers or from the engine itself? The Bose speakers have individual amps and if a speaker isnt hooked up or the ground is off, youll hear a whining through the speakers. My ground on my amp (for sub) came off the other day and i had whining through the speakers until i hooked it back up.

Old 11-02-2006, 04:36 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Whining sound from engine...and another

unfortunatly it didn't come with the manuals...or the switch blade keyfob; both of which i'm in the process of getting from ebay. i can't fathom spending 175 for a dealer key when i can get it from ebay for 20 bucks shipped and with a blank key. the covers dont have the bose logo on them, that was my thinking as well, i figured if it was Bose, it should have the badge on them.