Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What should a failed water pump look like

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 02:28 PM
1st Gear
Default What should a failed water pump look like

First post and unfortunately it is because of a problem. I've had the car for three weeks now - a 99.5 A4 1.8T TIP w/ 100K miles - and I've already replaced the ignition module after it left me with a dead #2 cylinder and now it overheated on me this morning on my way to work. The temp light came on and steam was coming out from under the hood after 15 min of 50mph driving. However, when I popped the hood I didn't see a lot of coolant everywhere as I would expect from a blown hose - it was dark so I couldn't see much any how. But I was still getting heat so I had some coolant left and while there was some coolant under the vehicle there was not a huge puddle - SO when a water pump lets go does it just stop pumping on these Audis or does it bust and leak out everywhere? If it is the waterpump can I replace it without touching any of the timing belt stuff? Man I need to get me a Bentley book. BTW when I bought it they had the timing belt and tensioner replaced but didn't touch the water pump.[:@]

Old 12-07-2005, 02:52 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: What should a failed water pump look like

Should have replaced the water pump.

Water pumps, on the Audis, have a little hole at the bottom that when the pump breaks dumps water out of the hole. The hole is probably 1/4 inch diameter. If the water is leaking slowly, it is probably the water pump. Have a Audi garage pressure test your radiator, that will tell where the leak is coming from. When my water pump went, it had a little stream that ran down the front of the engine and across the oil pan and onto the ground.

Oh and I say should have replaced the water pump because it is run on the timing belt so time to redo the timing. If you do it yourself, 4-6 hours. Dealer will charge for 2-3 hours on an A6, but I guess an A4 takes a little more time. I am not really sure on the 1.8t.

Old 12-07-2005, 03:17 PM
1st Gear

Thanks and I'll have to check it out. I guess the second part of my question is does a broken water pump still partially pump coolant? I ask because I was still getting heat which obviously requires warm coolant to get up to the heater core via the pump pressure. Is that possibly to do with a broken pump?

Old 12-07-2005, 03:19 PM
3rd Gear

yea most complete TB kits come with a new water pump. wheres the car now? dont drive it! if the TB breaks u could really be in a pickel. good luck!

Old 12-07-2005, 03:46 PM
1st Gear

If it turns out to be the pump would a bad pump cause the belt to break? The timing belt only has 2,000 miles on it and this was done prior to me getting the car or else I would have requested the pump be replaced as well.

Old 12-07-2005, 05:30 PM
1st Gear

Still thinking on this but has anyone ever had a stuck thermostat? It was -3F so it could have taken 15-20min to finally overheat. After letting it sit for 15 min on the side of the road I started it back up and temp gauge went to the center. I wonder if the thermostat could have stuck and finally opened after I turned it off because if it was the cooling system was completely overheated I would have expected it to still read high even in the low temperature. Man, it would sure be nice if it was something simpler than a water pump.

Old 12-07-2005, 05:51 PM

are the fans cutting in to cool the engine?? if not it will overheat then it might pop a hose or the filler cap, it could easily be the thermostat so simple to change, water pump is driven by the fan/serpentine belt not the timing belt, check the fans first

Old 12-07-2005, 11:46 PM
4th Gear

Check to see if you are LEAKING! Crawl under car, start it and see if coolant is coming out. ALso check ur levels on your Anti-Freeze resevoir

I did the water pump on my car about 2 months ago. I had to take out tensionr. So if ur gonna do it changed everything tbelt pulleys water pump.

make sure u lock ur cams

ORIGINAL: truckjunky87

First post and unfortunately it is because of a problem. I've had the car for three weeks now - a 99.5 A4 1.8T TIP w/ 100K miles - and I've already replaced the ignition module after it left me with a dead #2 cylinder and now it overheated on me this morning on my way to work. The temp light came on and steam was coming out from under the hood after 15 min of 50mph driving. However, when I popped the hood I didn't see a lot of coolant everywhere as I would expect from a blown hose - it was dark so I couldn't see much any how. But I was still getting heat so I had some coolant left and while there was some coolant under the vehicle there was not a huge puddle - SO when a water pump lets go does it just stop pumping on these Audis or does it bust and leak out everywhere? If it is the waterpump can I replace it without touching any of the timing belt stuff? Man I need to get me a Bentley book. BTW when I bought it they had the timing belt and tensioner replaced but didn't touch the water pump.[:@]

Old 12-08-2005, 12:48 PM
1st Gear

Got back to the car after work - check the coolant level - a little low as expected. Started it up - no leaks. Drove it home - no problem, didn't even get the temp gauge needle to the 12 o'clock position. So it seems like a stuck thermostat was the culprit - wonder if the -3F temp caused it to stick. Regardless, I'm going to flus hthe coolant to make sure its fresh and as soon as it gets back into the 30's I'll get the t-stat taken care of.

Old 12-08-2005, 12:55 PM

don't waste time get the t-stat and coolant sorted in a single job its cheaper than a new engine "experience"[:-]

Quick Reply: What should a failed water pump look like