Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What plugs are all you high boost 1.8t'ers running currently?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 07:56 PM
1st Gear
Default What plugs are all you high boost 1.8t'ers running currently?

Saw some other posts on here but didn’t see any definite answer for high boost apps, just stock.
Running 19psi now but plan to be running 21ish in summer when I get my k04. I have 440 cc injectors and due to smaller turbo running out of boost after 5K/RPM its getting rich and eating my plugs up. My temporary solution is to keep it under 5K RPM till I get the money for the k04 but I still need to replace the cooked plugs.
Thanks all.

BTW: I compression tested my motor, it has 143K miles and had 195/175/195/195 Any cause for concern on the 175? I was told by previous owner thats the same it was before the mods, so whatever was causing the problem(lean injector?) is probably fixed

Old 01-17-2007, 09:13 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: What plugs are all you high boost 1.8t'ers running currently?

i am running stock plugs until i go k04.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:20 PM
Site Moderator

440cc injectors AND a BOV???? Is that BOV recirculating back into the intake? You must be running soooooo rich along with those injectors. What kind of tuning/chip do you have to be at 19psi? Didnt see a chip in your signature... Please dont say you are using a mbc to get that boost.... Stock/chipped = NGK BKR6E or oem equivilent. K04=BKR7E-one heat range cooler.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:54 PM
Site Moderator

Do yourself a favor. Take out the 440 injectors and the BOV and put the stock parts back in.

The reason you're going through a set of spark plugs every week is due to those 2 mods. The ECU is counting on using the stock injectors for fueling, which send much less fuel. The ECU is sending an electronic signal to the injectors. It doesn't know that the 440's are suppyling rediculous amounts of fuel to the cylinders.

You're also running rich because of the BOV and it's wonderful sound. The car comes with a diverter valve that recirculates the vented air into the turbo inlet pipe. The ECU is counting on the extra air and to compensate for the air it's expecting, it sends extra fuel to the motor. The ECU doesn't know the difference between a diverter valve and BOV. The ECU still sends the extra fuel and you get even richer.

Unless you get a certain K04 file and a few other supporting mods, you don't even need the 440 injectors.

For your sake, and the sake of your ride, please do more research before puting parts on that will damage the motor.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:59 PM
Site Moderator

[sm=youreright.gif]
Couldnt have said it better myself.

Old 01-17-2007, 10:27 PM
4th Gear

Whatever your doing it doesn't sound good or correct.

Old 01-17-2007, 11:36 PM
2nd Gear

Psst, i hold 25 psi with my ko4 setup, weee weeee, and its bosch or w/e +2 spark plugs that came with my kit, but those ngks do great as well.

Old 01-19-2007, 12:50 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the replies, sorry for taking so long to get back, I was out of town yesterday for a family emergency. I know its running rich as sh*t, I bought the car this way from a friend 3 weeks ago and I’m doing my best to correct it as money permits. I am not a newb when it comes to cars, so I realize its wrong, though most of the work I have done has been on Nissan or Mazda/Ford. I am new to Audi though. I cant put the stock parts back, in cuz they didn’t come with the car. I was lacking a lot of info since the mods were done before I purchased it, but I have talked to the old owner more and here is the lowdown. The previous owner worked for an Audi shop and was heading the direction of the K04S and had all the parts in and ready for the new turbo, but lost his job one week before the turbo and Tial BOV arrived at his house, so he took the slightly larger K03s that was available cheap via the shop stacking them up from peoples ko4 upgrades, + the Turbo XS BOV and put it on as a ‘temporary’ solution. He didn’t get a good new job for almost a year now, so he is desperate for money and I bought one of his cars. It was no skin off his back as he has a 380hp STi, a 323 Mazda GTX with 300ish HP, and a magazine featured ’02 civic with around 450HP on a turbo K20A, + a turbo Miata stats unknown. Needless to say, he always does his work right, and I would hate to take everything out and downgrade when all I need is like 3 months to finish the job with the ko4. It literally needs nothing else. I would much rather replace the plugs every 3K and drive it easy for a few months. Also as far as the BOV thing goes, the previous owner said the ECU is no longer tuned for a DV, it is tuned for a BOV as that’s what the shop owner had on his when the dyno tuning was done. (He said he had a Tial) I should have said that it has an ECU before. My understanding is the shop owner made it for his 99.5 tqm that runs at 24 psi constantly and has done so reliably for around 26,XXX miles (at the time), and this was going to be a clone of that car. Mine is a 99 not a 99.5 so my friend had to upgrade a lot of parts like the water pump, exhaust/intake manifold, engine/tans mounts, etc too keep it on par, or better then the 99.5 his boss was running. But after knowing all that extra info, do you guys still think I will still hurt the car by driving it without the K04? (I try to keep it under 5000rpm since that’s where the K03s seems to hit its max) If so I will drive it less and drive my F150 or my 300zx for a while longer…please let me know, I am no Audi expert... Thanks a lot to all who replied for all your help, I am proud to be a member of this forum, you guys are way nicer and more helpful the old Z32 forums I was in.

Old 01-19-2007, 02:21 PM
3rd Gear

to much to read for me.. I would be worried about that compression drop in that one piston.. do a leak-down test a few psi difference is Ok, but not that much..

Old 01-19-2007, 02:36 PM
Site Moderator

Dont even know where to begin. Your friend had the ecu tuned to run with a bov? That would mean that it is tuned to run without a MAF sensor. Can you find out from your friend who did the tune? name of company? Your plugs arent the only things that are being affected from running so rich. Sure changing them often will keep the engine running, but that doesnt mean you dont have MAJOR carbon building up pretty much everywhere from the cyl head to your muffler tips. I mean, you must be spitting drops of fuelout your muffler. Its really not safe to drive it like that adn if you have other means of transportation, id take adavantage of that until you can get the audi running right. Even if thats going to take a couple months, it would be worthwhile to browse the classifieds for some used stock injectors. Can be had for $100 and there were some in there the other day. When you ready to get it set up how you want it/the right way just turn around and sell the stock injectors and make your money back.

Quick Reply: What plugs are all you high boost 1.8t'ers running currently?