Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What oil does everbody use?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 10:59 PM
Default RE: What oil does everbody use?

ORIGINAL: auditech79

ORIGINAL: sineo

I don't think I've ever read that anyone uses it on one of these "Which Oil," threads (which should probably make me nervous), but I've been using Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 and have no complaints.
Sineo you need to get that crap Pennzoil out of there, Pennzoil uses perafin wax (candle wax) in their oil which over time can be really bad for your engine.
I know old school mechaincs that would rather run water than pennzoil.
Found this on http://www.pennzoil.com/site/faq.html#q4

4. Does Pennzoil have paraffins which cause sludging while other brands don't?
Sludging is prevented by, not caused by, the use of paraffinic oils. Pennzoil as well as all other major motor oil producers use paraffinic base oils to produce motor oil. This type of base oil has advantages over the other types of mineral oil available, which is why they are universally used. The only exceptions are synthetic motor oils, which of course cost much more than mineral oil based motor oils. Synthetic base stocks are 100% paraffinic. Technically, paraffinic oil is a term used to describe the chemical structure, not the wax content. Through dewaxing in the refinery and the addition of pour point depressants during blending any harmful effects of wax are eliminated or neutralized.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:05 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: domino877

Sineo you need to get that crap Pennzoil out of there, Pennzoil uses perafin wax (candle wax) in their oil which over time can be really bad for your engine.

Sludging is prevented by, not caused by, the use of paraffinic oils. Pennzoil as well as all other major motor oil producers use paraffinic base oils to produce motor oil. This type of base oil has advantages over the other types of mineral oil available, which is why they are universally used. The only exceptions are synthetic motor oils, which of course cost much more than mineral oil based motor oils. Synthetic base stocks are 100% paraffinic. Technically, paraffinic oil is a term used to describe the chemical structure, not the wax content. Through dewaxing in the refinery and the addition of pour point depressants during blending any harmful effects of wax are eliminated or neutralized.
Well, I'm still switching on my next oil change. It's not like Pennzoil is cheaper than anything else and I'd just as soon go with something that does have positive reviews on the forum.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:09 PM
3rd Gear

From 39K miles to 156K miles, I have used Full Synthetic Mobile1 5W30 with no turbo problems, no mysteriously losing oil, and I haveeven used the smaller filters (didn't get the MEMO, so I didn'tknow they changed toa bigger filter - I just remember the original oilfilter part number and never botheredto look it up again) until I switched filter brands and thepulled upthe Mobil1 filter and I said WTF that looks too big. So they pulled up the P/N for thefram filter I was using all along and it's now a different #. Whatever... all I can tell you is I have had no sludge problems or anything from using Mobil1,for everyone that thinks it's garbage.Keep using whatever else oil you want, but my 1.8T will see 200K miles with that oil.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:35 PM
1st Gear

Castol 5w30 full synthetic

Old 12-11-2007, 12:17 AM
tml
1st Gear

won't amsoil void the audi warrenty?? it's not on the list of approved oils

Old 12-11-2007, 01:47 AM

It's not on the list of Audi-approved synthetic oils. If your car has less than 50k miles, or 100k miles w/ the CPO warranty, I would stick with what's approved. After my car hits 100k, I plan on switching to Amsoil. In the meantime, I use Mobil 1 0w40 and a OEM filter.

Any of the oils on the link below are Audi-approved:

http://www.audiusa.com/etc/medialib/....0004.File.pdf

Old 12-11-2007, 09:06 AM
1st Gear

Castol 5w30 full synthetic with the K&N filter.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:20 AM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: tml

and they are gona know you have amsoil in your car how??

Old 12-11-2007, 10:05 AM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: chaos92287

ORIGINAL: tml

and they are gona know you have amsoil in your car how??
Well, if you have some sort of problem for which they require proof of regular oil changes, your receipts would pretty much be a giveaway.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:23 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: domino877

ORIGINAL: sineo

I don't think I've ever read that anyone uses it on one of these "Which Oil," threads (which should probably make me nervous), but I've been using Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 and have no complaints.

LOL you believe everything you read!? There is a reason thats a FAQ question towards pennzoil, because most of the engines i/most people have seen has had gell like sludge built up to the valve covers ran pennzoil. I think im gonna trust the guys that have been working on cars 3 times longer than i have been alive thanks.

Quick Reply: What oil does everbody use?