Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What kind of gas do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 04:25 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: What kind of gas do you use?

91 Octane, slightly better gas mileage. My wallet takes a beating though.

Old 04-25-2006, 04:29 PM
2nd Gear

he was jokin... Bubble bath soap is kickass beats c-16 by a long shot.

Old 04-25-2006, 04:34 PM
4th Gear

i use premium everytime

Old 04-25-2006, 06:04 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: tip5

93 damnit.
hahaha bro just use whats top of the line gas...it will pay off...my baby is a lease but i still use the good ****

Old 04-25-2006, 06:09 PM
Site Moderator

I used regular for a couple months with no problems that i was aware of and when i got chipped i switched to 93...

Old 04-25-2006, 09:17 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: lbraasch
I feel like there is a lot of mis-information here...
First off... like stated before 100 Octane is not anything like a Nitrous setup. NO is like forced induction. gas is still just gas, regaurdless of octane level.
Increased octane reduces the temperature at which gasoline will ignite w/o a spark (temperature and pressure cause it). When running higher compressions, you need to run a higher octane level to prevent the gasoline from ignighting before the spark plug fires. If you have pre-ignition, it can be deadly for your car. This is heard w. a noticable ping sound, also known as knocking. If your motor is knocking, stop driving it. Increasing octane levels will prevent knocking. However, if you do not need a higher octane level, you're just wasting your money. If the manufacture recomends 91 octane, put in 91 octane to your stock motor. if you increased boost, or any other performance mod's, and you experiance knocking w/ your current gasoline, increase the octane. This is why when you chip your car, they recomend various octane levels. Octane does not increase performance, it allows performance increases. off the top of my head, the only car i know of that will allow an increase of boost based directly on the computer learning what octane you are running are the old sweedish saab turbos. The ECU could be manually adjusted to vary the knock sensor, thus you could change the boost rate/knock sensor level, etc. It would allow boost to climb until the knock sensor kicked in. Putting 100 octane or octane booster in to 91 in a stock motor will do only one thing. put a dent in you rwallet.
Thanks for all the auto zone tip of the month. FYI as said he was joking. If you were out of NOOB stauts or been around this forum for a while you would know that we all joke around especially when asking such a ...... question like this, when easily if he typed it in and searched it would come up of alot of information.

Old 04-25-2006, 09:56 PM
1st Gear

I dont remember who said it, but it was someone on here. They said using lower grade octane is like feeding your baby crappy food.... I thought that was a pretty good way to looke at it. I always using the highest at the pump, which is usually 93oct, I mean would you rather use a couple extra bucks than have a major problem with your engine later on?

Old 04-25-2006, 11:14 PM
1st Gear

It's more of an issue of vet's joking around with eachother, and people who don't know any better taking it as the word of god. The person who asked the question has 15 or so posts. What makes you think he's going ot know any better? He couldn't even read the recomended octane level inside his gas flap. There is a reason why so many ricers will pour money into those "instant hp" octane booster kits at autozone, and it's because for some reason or another somewhere along the line, they just assumed/were told that more octane = more power.

I also ride sport bikes, which is squid heavin (squid on motor cycle = fast and furious ricer boy in car). People will put in/do the weirdest things thinking they're getting more performance. I've even read of someone putting in leaded jet fuel in their bike thinking more octane was just like a nitrous injection system. It's a common misconception that people make about octane ratings thinking that they'll get the extra power from their motors.

Old 04-26-2006, 04:50 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: north5995

Higher the octane, cleaner it is

octane has nothing to do with how clean it is... all grades have the same "cleaness"... different engines use different octanes to resist knocking, which is bad for the motor... look at this thread over at a Toyota 4Runner forum... read

Premium Vs. Regular Fuel

Old 04-26-2006, 05:18 AM
5th Gear

yea but a lot of the times even if its supposed to be the same the higher octane gas has been more thoroughly filtered and refined and is cleaner

Quick Reply: What kind of gas do you use?