Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What happens when you hook up our 4" oem speaker to a 600w sub amp?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 01:48 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: What happens when you hook up our 4" oem speaker to a 600w sub amp?

ORIGINAL: headshok2002
I think I want to get another high end 10... but one that can be used in a small enclosure. The W7 has certainly spoiled me.
I've never heard of Elemental Designs... I'll likely stay a JL fanboy for as long as I care about stereos. :P
is that all that sub is, a 10"er? it looks morelike a 15"!
ive heared of Elemental Designs but not heared anything good or bad from them. ive never heard anything from JL's equipment. ive always been a sony persone but dont like their 6x9s so went for the pioneer which are realy nice.i only have the dual amp becuase bestbuy was selling themfor $50 end of stock sale, should've been $150. i was looking at an alpine or pioneer amp before tho.
if i get another sub i'll probly get a single 12" pioneer, ported. and im thinking of getting another dual amp off ebay to match up so i can power up my 6x9's

Old 05-21-2007, 01:54 AM
1st Gear

pryopenguin, are you using just mdf for your subwoofer box? ive read that, thats realy the only wood you should use to build the box, lil' exspensive tho, wernt sure if there was something else i could use instead of mdf?

Old 05-21-2007, 01:56 AM
5th Gear

I'd consider other speakers which were non JL (I ended up with Focals over XR's or ZR's, afterall) but for subs... JL are the best IMHO. The W3 is suuuuch a good sub for the money! I (and everybody I know!) has had horrible luck with Sony... so I tend to avoid all their products like I'd avoid a disease infested prostitute.

And Pyropenguin... those wooden adapters were a good idea, but I didn't want to go that route because it adds too much thickness! Are you sure that's not what is causing your problem getting the door panel back on?
I'm telling you... 2 square feet of dynomat, and you wouldn't need a single screw!

EDIT: I'm a liar. 96 pounds.
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_e...mp;prod_id=189

EDIT again! Pics of the dynamat job. This was with my old Alpine Type X speakers... same deal with the Focals. You can even use dynamat to stick the Crossovers! Hahaha

Old 05-21-2007, 02:02 AM

[:-] LIAR!

haha, jk. I sure hope it's not too deep, I can tell that the wood is running into one of the door's crossmembers- so I hope that's my only problem. I measured it out (not very exact though) and it should fit... we'll find out tomorrow.

edit-
I didn't want to mess with mountning the crossovers in teh door, so I just ran the wires from the tweeter and woofer inside the door, and mounted one next to my glove box (behind the paneling) and one behind my fuse box. I just hope they stay there.

Old 05-21-2007, 02:02 AM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: A4Tuner.

ORIGINAL: headshok2002
I think I want to get another high end 10... but one that can be used in a small enclosure. The W7 has certainly spoiled me.
I've never heard of Elemental Designs... I'll likely stay a JL fanboy for as long as I care about stereos. :P
is that all that sub is, a 10"er? it looks morelike a 15"!
ive heared of Elemental Designs but not heared anything good or bad from them. ive never heard anything from JL's equipment. ive always been a sony persone but dont like their 6x9s so went for the pioneer which are realy nice.i only have the dual amp becuase bestbuy was selling themfor $50 end of stock sale, should've been $150. i was looking at an alpine or pioneer amp before tho.
if i get another sub i'll probly get a single 12" pioneer, ported. and im thinking of getting another dual amp off ebay to match up so i can power up my 6x9's
And yeah, just a 10"... back when I really thought stereos were cool, I'd bring people into my car, turn it up and ask them to guess what I had. I'd say 8 out of 10 people guessed two 10's and the other 2/10 guessed two 12's. That single 10 in the HO (high output) box does amazing things. There are better subs out there than the W7... but the W7 is pretty damned amazing.

Old 05-21-2007, 02:03 AM
1st Gear

lol, ive had my sony sub for about 4, maybe 5 years now. not failed once. its actualy quite nice. its their older syle of subs tho so that might be why, maybe the older ones are better quality. ive had the head unit for about 1 1/2 years now, i got sony becuase i was gonna do a all sony system untill i knackerd up my rear speakers and bought pioneer and couldnt resist the cheap dual amp lol
i might have to look into a JL sub then. my 10" sony kicks out some realy nice bass i just have some vibration and rattling in the rear bumbper some where which does my head in when im washing the car.

Old 05-21-2007, 02:08 AM

yeah I've heard sony's old stuff is WAYYYYYY better than their new stuff.

I'm going to have to get some sound deadening for the rear deck and the doors soon... I see lots of rattles in my future.

Old 05-21-2007, 02:08 AM
5th Gear

I'm going to bed! Holy hell it's later than I thought it was. 2am here.

Pyropenguin: don't miss my dynamat pics on the previous page! I seriously recommend doing it! It'll sound better, and fit better!

A4Tuner: who knows... all of my friends complaints about Sony were deck related (thank God for warranty). I had this little (12") gem for a while... I used it in my girlfriends car, and yes, it made a lot of dirty bass. Haha! It'd have been okay if THUMP THUMP is all you want... but I think a 10w3v2 would open your eyes. I could be wrong... but I don't think I am on this one.
Here it is... I have no idea of what model. Anyways, good night!

Old 05-21-2007, 02:13 AM

Thanks man, if my speakers end up being too deep, I'll deffinetly use that.

g'night.

Old 05-21-2007, 02:14 AM
1st Gear

i think im gonna have to look into this dynamat and jl subs.
im guessing its one up from mine since its ported?
my 10" is ment to be in a 1.0cu box, sealed.......
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-c6P8bT2...h=sony+xsl1235

yea, im off too, laters both.

Quick Reply: What happens when you hook up our 4" oem speaker to a 600w sub amp?