Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What happens when you hook up our 4" oem speaker to a 600w sub amp?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 12:06 AM
Default What happens when you hook up our 4" oem speaker to a 600w sub amp?

Well... Look and see.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=s-1GTiM5XmM

I put in some new speakers today, and this was my final farewell to these crappy speakers.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:08 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: What happens when you hook up our 4" oem speaker to a 600w sub amp?

hahahha...sweettt dancing speakers

--E

Old 05-21-2007, 12:11 AM
1st Gear

haha lmfao! nice. man i hated those speakers. i put in a new sony gt300 head unit and completly tore the cone surround on both speakers, only 17w-rms aswel from the radio.
i ended up putting in 230w 3-way pioneer 6x9's which arnt connected to a amp yet unfortantly.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:28 AM
5th Gear

My stock speakers in my 2000 non-bose were actually pretty damned nice when I amplified them. I gave them 150W RMS a side up front (JL 450/4) and they sounded amazing. I did the same thing using the OEM Bose speakers... even better! Now I run Focal polykevlars, but instead of the focal tweeters (which sit in my sock drawer) I use the OEM Bose tweeters, because they sound 10x better.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:43 AM

Wow! I had these hooked up off my headunit (20w rms) and they were already distorting. Got my CDT pro comps in today, 1000x better, their sound is actually comparable to my Sennheiser headphones!

headshok- do you have some more pictures of your car? That thing looks sweet.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:54 AM
5th Gear

Damnit I just deleted my whole post.
I basically said not enough power is as bad as too much. My focal's would distort with 20W RMS... and 20 watts could also destroy them if I tried to turn it up louder than the power supply would allow. Distortion would eventually cause them to overheat and that'd be the end of them. Too much and you get something like your video. :P
Seriously though, OEM speakers with my JL 450/4 was incredible. It was barely worth it for me to go with Focal's at all... and as I already said, I ended up junking the Focal tweets in favour of the OEM Bose.

Pics are http://hdr.chris.offtone.com and http://chris.offtone.com/photos/07-04-29/

Sample with the new wheels!

Old 05-21-2007, 12:55 AM
1st Gear

headshok, nice amps!
my oem nokia speakers used to pump out some nice lows but only with the oem head unit. but like i said, i tore them straight up with only 17w.
but my front speakers on the other hand are still oem. their powered from the sonyhead unit (17w-rms still), my fronts are quite nice and powerfull without an amp.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:58 AM
1st Gear

nice. were pictures 3, 4, and 5 photoshopped? if not then their some realy good pictures taken at the right time lol

Old 05-21-2007, 01:04 AM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: A4Tuner.

nice. were pictures 3, 4, and 5 photoshopped? if not then their some realy good pictures taken at the right time lol
All of the pictures in the first link are HDR, which is some crazy imaging software that plays with exposure. I'm sure wikipedia can explain.

And yes... my beloved amps! My 450/4 has a bad channel right now... I've got to use a ground loop isolator for a while until I can send it out. I want to get rid of my 10W7 in it's huge HO box and go with something smaller. I'll either sell the 450/4 and 500/1 to get a 500/5 or I'll try and hang the two amps somewhere out of the way. I really want to downsize though to a W6 or even a W3... but I might wait and see how these new "slim" JL subs do. I just want LESS stereo. Jeebus!
I'm even considering going back to OEM head unit, and running some stuff from audiocontrol to make up for the loss in quality. JL cleansweet 'could' work but it has its downsides.

Old 05-21-2007, 01:21 AM
1st Gear

nice. i gained quality once i swapped out my oem for aftermarket, but i lost a bit once i put in my 10disc cd changer so i had to re-ajust my amp a bit....
them pictures turned out good.
heres a shot of my boot, nothing like yours lol. im planning on making a new box for the back which would run full length of the boot (left to right), subwoofer on one side of it and the toolbox on the other side of the box hidden, the only way toget it out will be to drop the rear seat. then either bolt my amp to the top or the front of the box. if anything, i should gain some room in there since i would get some space ontop of the box.
im just not sure weather to bolt the sub to the new box which would mean making it out of MDF or try to prop andbolt the box,thatthe subwoofer is already in, to the new box. i dont know how im gonna do it yet, MDF is a little exspensive.
Dual 460w 1-2channel amp
sony xplod 600w 10" sub
230w pioneer 3-way 6x9's
and a sony cdx-gt300 head unit.

Quick Reply: What happens when you hook up our 4" oem speaker to a 600w sub amp?