Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What clutch and flywheel to get?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 10:49 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: What clutch and flywheel to get?

I have been searching around, I know ebay is not the best place for car parts but I noticed this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/audi-...QQcmdZViewItem

its an AWE tuning stage 2 clutch and flywheel kit brand new, only thing that worries me is it says it fits gti and a4 1.8t, but I thought the motors were different in a way? Also thanks for the info everyone, especially sean

Old 10-28-2007, 10:52 PM
4th Gear

This is the one my friend got in his A4. He has had it over a year and has not had a single problem with it. The thing holds and launches like crazy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/XTD-R...QQcmdZViewItem
They also have a 99.9% feedback rating so there is no worries there that they suck. Just thought I might throw that in there.

Josh

Old 10-29-2007, 11:51 AM
2nd Gear

Sweet, thanks for the info I might look into that one

Old 10-29-2007, 09:15 PM
2nd Gear

DO NOT cheap out on a clutch and flywheel setup. that product might have worked well for that kid for a year. but who knows how long it will last. main reason that i would not go with that clutch because it's a 6 puck design. which is going to be even worse for drivability and going to wear out quicker than a single disk type clutch..

remember, it's around $1000 bucks or more for just clutch labor when all said and done. do you really want to do it twice within a couple of years? or do you want to do it right and have it last you 5+ years

Old 10-29-2007, 09:49 PM
tdn
2nd Gear

Hell, I'm paying only $550 for labor and I never want to go through this again. I got a southbend stage 3.. I'm leaning towards going with a k04 set up, or gtrs if the funds allow for it. And it will hold up fine for either, if I do go gtrs, I won't be pushing it to it's limits.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:06 PM
I'm make believe

The ko4-23 turbo and the ko3/ko4-15 are barely differnt. The turbine inlet is the same, the outlet is the same style flange but you will have to mod the cat some since the 3 connections are in differnt places (easy with a testpipe)and the turbo compressor inlet and outlet are slightly largerand the outlet is slightly longer. All in all, not a huge amount of mods needed to make it work. Then you just need a 225/vr6 maf housing and 380cc injectors with sw and your set. The ko4-23 will easily make 20-30whp more than a ko4-15, but will also have a much longer powerband and hold ~18psi at redline with a 23psi peak.

As for clutches, avoid spec, they like to eat themselves.

Old 10-30-2007, 03:01 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: cincyTT

The ko4-23 turbo and the ko3/ko4-15 are barely differnt. The turbine inlet is the same, the outlet is the same style flange but you will have to mod the cat some since the 3 connections are in differnt places (easy with a testpipe)and the turbo compressor inlet and outlet are slightly largerand the outlet is slightly longer. All in all, not a huge amount of mods needed to make it work. Then you just need a 225/vr6 maf housing and 380cc injectors with sw and your set. The ko4-23 will easily make 20-30whp more than a ko4-15, but will also have a much longer powerband and hold ~18psi at redline with a 23psi peak.

As for clutches, avoid spec, they like to eat themselves.
I have a 3' test pipe already so that should hopefully work with the ko4-23. Does anyone know if APR makes a map i can use with that setup possibly?

Old 10-30-2007, 06:09 AM
2nd Gear

Just so you know (even though it sounds like you are not going this route) you CAN NOT resurface the stock flywheel in the traditional sense. The only thing you can do it scuff it up because of it's design. It's two pieces and I was told that if they cut it (which they would if I made them do it) there was a possibility that fluid and metal shavings from the cutting process could get trapped inside, eventually destroying the flywheel.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:04 PM
5th Gear

i've got a stage 5, and everyone's like "oh ****, isn't that for monster setups, it must suck to drive it around town" but honestly it doesn't bother me at all. the rough engagement in first took some getting used to, but i got in down pretty well now, just need new motor and tranny mounts cuz mine are shot and there is an insane amount of slop. but i actually prefer this clutch to the stock one, engagement is solid and i have full confidence the clutch is gona hold up to what i throw at it. i also love that now half my friends cant make it 5 feet down the road in it lol

but yeah i would recommend a stage 3 for a k04 setup, stage 4 or 5 for anything BT. dont get a 4 or 6 puck design. get a full face sprung disc if your using a lwfw. and i LOVE my 11lb lwfw. tho most people told me it would, it doesn't really chatter at all. if i have the a/c on and stand outside the car i can hear something faint, but thats it.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:11 PM
I'm make believe

ORIGINAL: Quattro_1.8t

I have a 3' test pipe already so that should hopefully work with the ko4-23. Does anyone know if APR makes a map i can use with that setup possibly?
apr only sells stock turbo sw and the BT stuff has the be bought with the kits. You cant buy it by itself. You need something with atleast 315cc @ 4bar or 380cc at 3/4bar to supply enough fuel.

Quick Reply: What clutch and flywheel to get?