Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What clutch and flywheel to get?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 06:46 PM
2nd Gear
Default What clutch and flywheel to get?

My clutch is slipping like hell after going to the track today. Im looking for a stage 2 or 3 clutch for a K04-23 setup im about to get. What clutch and fly wheel do you reccommend I get? Its for a B5 99.5 1.8t

Old 10-28-2007, 08:20 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: What clutch and flywheel to get?

k04-23 setup? you're putting a TT turbo on an A4, do you know what you are doing?

but in all, for a k04-15 setup, i would go with a southbend stage 3 clutch.. if not a stage 4 for better track and launching capabilities

and as far as flywheel, there are a bunch of options. but what kind of drivability do you want. do you want faster reving up and down, but sacrifice the smooth OEM type of drivability? if so get a Eurocode 11 lb flywheel. or the Fidanza 9 lb one..

do you want to have the same type of reving, while having a complete OEM type of feel while shifting? then just resurface your stock dual mass flywheel..24lbs iirc

or do you want something in the middle? little faster reving and almost OEM type feel, then get a spec 16lb flywheel

FWIW, i have the 11lb eurocode flywheel. i love how much quicker it revs. but sometimes the harsh 1st gear engagement gets annoying. i've learned to drive it smooth, but no one else can.. my older brother just killed it the other day trying to get out of first gear. but i just laugh at that.. all in all, i love it

Old 10-28-2007, 10:14 PM
2nd Gear

The K04-23 idea was given to me by a local audi shop owner, auto assets. He said the K04-23 is the biggest K04 setup and he can tune me with giac software with a custom map apparently. Thats a little down the road though... first I want to get the clutch done.

Do I need a new flywheel or do I have to option to re surface the current one? Whats the main diff. between the southbound stage 3 and 4? Where can I get the best deal on a flywheel if I decide to get one?

Old 10-28-2007, 10:19 PM

you don't need to get a different flywheel. re-surfacing your current stock flywheel is fine.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:31 PM
1st Gear

DO NOT GO STAGE 3 or 4....that is for like BIG TURBOS stage 1 would be able to handle a k04, I would personally get stage 2. I have a spec stage 2 and a fidanza flyhwheel. They are both awesome. If you get stage 3 that would be sacraficing ALOT of drivability. Stage 3 is like 350HP stage 4 is like 500hp. Get a stage 2 and a fidanza flywheel...you will suck at driving it at first, i did, then you will get really good at it, and will be the only one who can drive it. Do get a new flywheel, its worth the money. Fidanza is the way to go.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:35 PM
1st Gear

+1 for southbend though, ive herd great things about those. get stage 2 not 3, unless you want to do a launch every time you want to move from the stop.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:42 PM
2nd Gear

well, they are correct in it being the highest flowing k04 out there. i have seen over 260Awhp on a 225 TT before.. but realize that your shop is going to have to do some pretty heavy moddifying to get it to fit in your longitudinally mounted engine.. there are far better turbo's to go with. but whatever you want to do, is up to you..

and difference between stg 3 and 4? go to southbends site and read the max torque that you can throw at them.. more torquea clutch can hold, the harder the pedal pressure is going to be.. yes, with an abrasive scotchbrite pad + a lot of elbow grease, you can resurface your own flywheel.. if you decide to get a LWFW, just search around. GOOGLE is your friend

Old 10-28-2007, 10:44 PM
4th Gear

My friend has a stage 3 clutch and 11lbs flywheel on his stock A4 1.8TQ. The thing is so freaking hard to drive it's not even funny! I have been driving a clutch for over a year and I killed it 4 times in a few blocks trying to get it moving from a standstill. He has the electronic gas pedal though so it made it even worse. It would either die or you better hope there is no one infront of you or you will launch right into the back of them. LOL Once you get used to it though it's a lot of fun to drive. The thing just doesn't slip at all!

Josh

Old 10-28-2007, 10:46 PM
1st Gear

sean seriously why would he need a stage 3 or 4 w/ a k04? Ill admit you know alot more about turbos and that **** than i do, and you help me out alot, but why would he need a stage 3 or stage 4 for just a k04?

Old 10-28-2007, 10:47 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: Kyle09

DO NOT GO STAGE 3 or 4....that is for like BIG TURBOS stage 1 would be able to handle a k04, I would personally get stage 2. I have a spec stage 2 and a fidanza flyhwheel. They are both awesome. If you get stage 3 that would be sacraficing ALOT of drivability. Stage 3 is like 350HP stage 4 is like 500hp. Get a stage 2 and a fidanza flywheel...you will suck at driving it at first, i did, then you will get really good at it, and will be the only one who can drive it. Do get a new flywheel, its worth the money. Fidanza is the way to go.
do you have any experience with any other clutch other than the crap Spec? there is not a single definition for clutch stages for ourcars. stage 1 from one company will not be equal to another company's stage 1 clutch.. and Clutches are rated in ft lbs of torque, not hp. Southbend is the only way to go. search around, you will see.. go with at LEAST a stage 3. if not a stage 4.. i know of guys with stage 4 southbends on their K03 cars FWIW. also i run a stg 4 and LOVE it. the pedal pressure is hard, but your leg gets used to it fast and it feels like stock to me

Quick Reply: What clutch and flywheel to get?