Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what cars will a stock 2.8 beat off the line

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 12:07 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: what cars will a stock 2.8 beat off the line

can't we all just get along...............if the 1.8T has decals it will walk a 2.8

Old 11-07-2007, 12:10 AM

I will post pictures as soon as I get pictures of my car up. I don't have a digital and I'm lazy so that might be a while. But when it happens I'll let you know.

Old 11-07-2007, 02:03 AM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: jonus079

i disagree! i ve race my friend's 2000 passat with a 1.8t. he has it chipped (i cant remeber what company made the file) and a few other mods like cone filter and stage (something) clutch. ive raced him atleast 20 times and wins go back and forth, thoughi would say i win more than i lose. iv had him drive my car and he also tells me it defenitly feels faster. now remeber he has a b5 fwd passat which i believe is lighter than an a4. my car has nothing at all done to it other than lowering springs.

edit: his set up
K&N air filter/intake
APR Stage I Performance Chip
ECS RA4 Stage 1 clutch and flywheel

he also has 18' rims so that might slow him down a little bit.

18" rims are definitely gona slow him down. and a b5 passat weighs 3201 lbs, a b5 a4 fwd weighs 3041 lbs. add 200 lbs for quattro. a chipped 1.8T will be a stock 2.8. I will put money on it

Old 11-07-2007, 05:17 AM
3rd Gear

I'm new to the forums and to my new 2.8, but i'm going to pipe in here

A buddy in one of my college courses drives a red 1.8tqm which has been chipped, intake'd, intercooled, and exaust'd

i beat him - on a straight line - in my all stock with custom intake 2.8qm

and to everyone who disses on the short ram intakes - I feel mine occationally after driving hard, and guess what... the metal section with the MAF sensor is always COLD. sometimes ice cold. even if its hotter outside

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d8...6f44a07721.jpg

EDIT: forgot to mention that, he did beat me off the line - but once I got out of that flat spot, he was gone

i'll take a video next time

Old 11-07-2007, 08:44 AM
Site Moderator

Your friend cant drive^ And guess what? The cool to touch metal pipe on your intake has nothing to do with the hot temps the exposed filter is sucking in. The heat is disipated from the pipe quickly, so that means nothing. If its ice cold, then Id really like to know where you purchased this magical intake.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:03 AM
Tech Guru

ok i dont mean to be mean but i have a proposal.

next time im home from college (which is in a few weeks) ill race my friend again and ill record it. if i win, you have to admit to the fact that a chipped 1.8t still isnt that fast. if i lose ill never talk trash on these forums again and you are comptlety and 100% with no exception correct about everything. deal? i know his car is a passat but i think thats a more than fair trade off since its fwd and it lighter (i think).
no offense, but your proposal sucks for 2 reasons

#1 i don't trust his driving skills
#2 you could tell him off camera to loose("hey man, keep it close but loose, i wanna prove a point to these audi such and suchs on the board")

so moral of the story is....... nope....... but if i am ever going to be down in md or you in mo...... then it is on like donkey kong

Old 11-07-2007, 09:39 AM
Site Moderator

I dont trust any street race. I trust track slips!!!!
I raced a GSX at the track w/some mods (dont know what) but I was ahead of him by aabout a cars lengththe entire time because I got a better launch, even accross the line at the end of the track and he still got a better time than me. I raced acetrebo at the track and was just ahead of him for one of our races, and his time was better by a fraction. So steet racering means little to nothing if you want to have a fair debate about whos faster than who, or what is faster than what.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:59 AM
1st Gear

NO ONE should be talking trash in the forum at all!!! I'll race you Jonus... LOL

Old 11-07-2007, 11:29 AM
I'm make believe

Ok, I wasn’t very clear before and I do seem to contradict myself. What I mean is, to make an a4 fast you have to sacrifice drivability (whether this deals with gutting the car or simply getting horrendous gas mileage of a 500hp 1.8t engine), which is why I said it ruins the drivability. ITS A TURBO CAR!!! On the highway your still just running a 1.8L engine and making 30+ mpg. You can contradict yourself all you want, but your in WELL over your head here.

I know what the 1.8t engine is capable of but I also know that any engine is capable of allot more than stock if you want to spend the money. Again, i thought you would of learned by now. But since you havent, ill say it again, SWAPPING RODS WILL ALLOW THE ENGINE TO EASILY MAKE OVER 600WHP. I say thats pretty strong engine since all you have to do is install some $350 rods.

Bottom line is, if you want a fast car (going by my definition of fast) an a4 is not by any means the best way to get there. if you want a nice daily driver, an a4 is a great car. Wow, since there are plenty of a4's that run 11 and 12 et's. All it takes is a decent size turbo (gt28rs+) to make the car and very capable street car

the point i was trying to make in my first post is, who cares what you can beat. fact is, youre driving an audi, which is a very nice luxry car. That has a very capable 1.8t engine.

can you agree with that? if you cant, youre just lying to yourself.... NOPE
You dont know anything about the engine and yet talk mad ****. There are plenty of 1.8t's that have the 500hp engines and are still daily driven. If it wasnt a capable engine, people wouldnt use it in their drag cars in the older VW's and even install it in a Lotus.

Old 11-07-2007, 11:43 AM

i was hoping for more info on cars an audi 2.8 would beat that are stock on the street, not this chipped and modded 1.8ts. i was looking for what cars in the similar class a 2.8 could contend with. Ive raced a 1.8t vw that almost took me, so i agree (as a 2.8 owner) that a stock 1.8t will take a 2.8 off the line almost any time.

Quick Reply: what cars will a stock 2.8 beat off the line