Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what cars will a stock 2.8 beat off the line

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 06:44 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: what cars will a stock 2.8 beat off the line

ORIGINAL: cincyTT
Can the V6 people that do not know the 1.8t stop making post acting like they do....PLEASE?!?!
AMEN!

ORIGINAL: ggoodling

I wasn't knocking motorsports nor saying it couldn't be done. just trying to show a real car that was beast as hell and fully built and what it could put out on 91 octane. I'm not saying that the 1.8t isn't a great motor. It IS! I am a huge fan. However, the 2.8 isn't horrible. I agree that an audi isn't the best tuner/car to quickly and easily make fast. It is a LUXURY car. If you want to go fast cheaply buy a GTi or a hatch back civic.GTI's are heavy too, if you want a purely fast car you get a small lightweight one You can cheaply make those alot faster with a lot less money, and you don't have to rice it out. Alot of people think they can push high numbers of boost into their otherwise stock 1.8t. That is asking for trouble. As you just said 25+ psi on 91 octane is no good with no injection. Agreed, that is my whole point so why are you busting my *****?Boost isn't the same on all turbo's. 25 psi out of a gt35r is VASTLY different from 25psi out of a k03. Anything smaller than a gtrs, you will probly blow the turbo running 25psi before you blow the engine. so running 15 psi on a gt series turbo which can easily be done with a stock motor, your are producing a LOT more power than any amount of psi your pushing with a k03. no turbo should be run at over 25+ psi daily, you might as well step it up to the next turbo and run between 20-25 psi and get the same power. if you don't want the added lag, just add w/m and you can run over 25psi daily.As to the 2.7t swap, it is the same engine as the 2.8 with a extra liter displacement.umm...NO! even it what you said was true you have an extra .1 liter not 1 liter. With redone internals I could just use s4 parts and a stand alone with no problem. Actually, most likely put down better numbers, +1 liter displacement +1 better tune +1 gearing +1 fully built with fm intercooler. This is what NO ONE could tell me earlier when I was asking. I only heard it's a stupid idea, with no reasoning behind it. No parts list. No solid this is whats is different. Also for the money it would cost to rebuild you could go for a VR6 swap which would produce way more power and be more reliable. No one could tell me this. Dude your engine is not the 2.7 twin turbo with an extra .1 liter displacement. ITS AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT MOTOR!! So don't worry I have let the idea go. Not because it was hard, it's actually wouldn't be that hard at all. Rather, because for the money I could do better. I'm still not selling my car. It would not be cheaper to have sold it then and just gotten an S4 by the way. If you know cars, do your own labor, and have good sources for parts it wouldn't be that hard. As to the golf, he has a stock turbo with stock inter cooler, he has completely build suspension, and chip, and some stripping and redone piping. I can beat him and have beat him. It isn't a joke and he is always pissed. I am quicker off the line and he can not catch up. He pulls alittle bit on me when I first hit 3rd but it is to little to late. First off, the golf has a transverse mounted engine, not a longitudinally mounted engine like the a4. i love how everyone is like, i can beat a golf, or a passat thats chipped. ITS NOT AN A4, GO FIND A CHIPPED A4!! A FULLY BUILT 1.8 WOULD KICK MY 2.8's ***, AGREED. But, like I said, I think we need some track slips and race videos of people with 2.8s going up against 1.8ts with chips. I think that the stock 2.8 vs. stock 1.8t is an already decided debate.
ORIGINAL: ggoodling

Also fully built 1.8t vs fully built 2.8. Like I said you can turn the 2.8 into a tt with 2.7tt parts. So if you get custom, a fully built 2.8tt will beat a fully built 1.8t. It would cost more and be more difficult, requiring much more work, time, and money, but could be done.
no you can't. the reason why nobody turbo's the 2.8 engine is cause it has a relatively high compression ratio of 10.3:1, which limits forced induction to only a few psi. If there is anyone out there with a 2.8 30v a4 engine that thinks they could beat Joel Brown's Corrado i will become your slave FOR LIFE!!!!

Old 11-07-2007, 06:47 PM
5th Gear

and just so you know twin turbo's are not as good as single turbo's. ask anyone who owns a supra

Old 11-07-2007, 08:33 PM

Wow-what an arguement,Im a 2.8 owner and all I want to do is buy a 1.8t car,mod it like crazy,drive when running and keep the 2.8 lookin and drivin like the old man car my wife claims I drive...I think having both of them will be nice.If there are any sites selling restoration or minor damaged 1.8t a4's for a cheap garage project car I'm interested.....

Old 11-07-2007, 08:41 PM
5th Gear

www.shokan.com

Old 11-07-2007, 09:50 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: turbo kraut
just wondering how many hours a day you spend on here

Old 11-07-2007, 09:59 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: cincyTT

ORIGINAL: jonus079

Wow I’m really beginning to question how much you know about turbo cars (other than the 1.8t). I’m hoping you are just saying that to make you point better and you really don’t mean it. You are really going to sit there and tell me you’re gunna get the same or even similar gas mileage to a factory 1.8t just cause you are cruising on the highway? Actually its the same or better mpg on the hw. Ill dumb it down for you a bit. Ready.... ok. When the turbo is NOT making boost, guess what? Its only running off the engine like it would being n/a. Only when you make boost are you needing to add more fuel. If what you said would be the case, i would be dumping massive amounts of fuel driving 80mph on the highway, making 0 boost (be about 10-15in hg... thats vacuum for you since your not so bright) and then be running 7:1 a/f instead of 14:1 like it should since your dumping in the same amount of fuel since your at about 4k and would be in boost.

Please show me someone with over 400 hp who is still get 30mpg on a consistent basis or even close to that. Here you go smarts.Link 1 and Link 2They are not all making 400hp, but the same concept applies - great hw mpg and much lower city mpg.

If this is true why does my factory 2.8l get better gas mileage than a chipped 1.8t passat?? beacuse the chipped passat is pretty heavy and the ko3 is just about always in boost when you accelrate. But still wont beat it on the HW. The more you get on it, the worse the mpg. And most people after they get a chip cant stop getting on it.

and that’s only chipped, you swapped out the injectors and your really gunna take a hit on gas milage. Injectors do not change amout gas milage. For example, you will get the same mpg with a BT car running either 440cc or 550cc or even 630cc injectors. Why? Because the a/f is the same with a good tune. The only change is the duty cycle of the injectors. You really have plenty to learn.

Learned what? Why do you keep telling me the 1.8t engine can handle 600whp, did I ever say it couldn’t? You talked about how they cant do 500hp, im just saying they can, all they need is a new set of rods.

Although I don’t believe that it can handle 600hp with only the rods being changed. That’s just bullshit. What?!?! The pistons are Mahle forged pistons and have made over 700hp and some drop in rods can hold over 1000hp, and no one has even broken a stock 1.8t forged crank. So tell me again how they cant doo 600hp again?

You keep telling me what the 1.8t engine can do yet I see no real world examples. It funny cause the highest hp a4 I’ve seen puts down 550hp and the engine has been completely redone oh and did I mention that’s with a 2.0 stroker kit. Again im gunn a have to ask you to show me someone putting down 600whp with stock pistons….until then, I simply can’t believe such insane claims. The 1.8t is in a lot more cars than a A4 LOL. There is now a gti making almost 700whp with stock block and crank with new rods and lower c/r pistons.

*remember I didn’t say a worked 1.8t couldn’t handle 500+ hp, I said the stock internal (with the exception of upgraded rods as you pointed out) cant so please do post again saying that I said the 1.8t can’t handle 500hp. It’s really starting to annoy me. Read page 2 again. You never said stock, you said the1.8t andill take that as in general.

Strange, I’ve only seen 2 a4s in the 11 second or better range. Both have 2.0 stoker kits, and both run gt35+ turbos one used racing fuel to get there. It takes a lot more than a gt28 to put an a4 in close to this range. I except that you can get in the very high 12’s with a top of the line gt28 turbo but there is also tons of other stuff you need to do it (injectors, headers, exhaust, fuel pump, etc.) You should talk to sean1.8t, im sure he can point you in the right direction. He will show you people with pos eliminator kits making 12's. As for the injectors and exhaust etc, thats just a must, you cant swap turbos with other parts that dont fit or support it. dont be stupid

Do I have to outline my idea’s any more clearly for you to get them???
they still be wrong.

you really should just stop now

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm just jumping in here at the end of this pissing match but I will say this. I have been in the DSM game for along time (everyone tunes there junk themselfs NO CHIPS) and I know that everything CincyTT stated is true for all turbo cars and trucks.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:19 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: chaos92287

can u post a dyno? (im legitimately interested)

a chipped 1.8T won't walk all over a 2.8 but it definitely will win. a chipped 1.8T has more power and is slightly lighter.

oh and the 30v has 207 ft. lbs @ 3200 RPM, while a chipped 1.8T makes ~225 ft lbs of tq @2000 RPM. again you lose

Someone just posted (THERUSSIAN) dyno results of a chipped/intake/test pipe 1.8 and I dont even think that car made 225 lbs of tq, and yes I did convert from WHP to CHP

i hate this debate lol.

I HAVE BEEN IN ONE STREET RACE WITH A CHIPPED 1.8... it was a jetta. STREET RACE, yes! Not at a track.... 2 drivers drove the car (they were brothers), we raced twice.. the first race the younger brother drove and I won by 1 car length. The second race the older brother (better driver) drove and we were honestly nose to nose to the inch up to 100mph, no winner was concluded. The first race my car was completely stock. The second race I had my 18's and suspension installed along with an ebay intake.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:34 PM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: AteUrV8

ORIGINAL: chaos92287

can u post a dyno? (im legitimately interested)

a chipped 1.8T won't walk all over a 2.8 but it definitely will win. a chipped 1.8T has more power and is slightly lighter.

oh and the 30v has 207 ft. lbs @ 3200 RPM, while a chipped 1.8T makes ~225 ft lbs of tq @2000 RPM. again you lose

Someone just posted (THERUSSIAN) dyno results of a chipped/intake/test pipe 1.8 and I dont even think that car made 225 lbs of tq, and yes I did convert from WHP to CHP
1- he got APR. GIAC is the one that adds the most torque down low
2- he is 1 mile up in the sky so his numbers are gona be lower than normal
i hate this debate lol.

I HAVE BEEN IN ONE STREET RACE WITH A CHIPPED 1.8... it was a jetta. STREET RACE, yes! Not at a track.... 2 drivers drove the car (they were brothers), we raced twice.. the first race the younger brother drove and I won by 1 car length. The second race the older brother (better driver) drove and we were honestly nose to nose to the inch up to 100mph, no winner was concluded. The first race my car was completely stock. The second race I had my 18's and suspension installed along with an ebay intake.
[&o]again with the jetta's, gti's, and passats. transverse is different than longitudinal and weight is different. the chipped 1.8T is lighter and produces more power and torque at lower RPM's. you guys are fighting a losing battle. the only thing you 2.8 guys have as an advantage is the tranny.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:44 PM
2nd Gear

you guys really need to cut it out. what is this bickering and fighting solving? nothing.

all of this information has been covered tenfold. it's like if someone wants to argue about "1.8t vs 2.8" then a 10 page useless thread will come out of it.. but if someone posts up a discussion about "what chip is the best for my 1.8t?" then all that will happen is someone will say search..

just pick your battles more wisely, and put your guy's knowledge towards something more productive.