Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what cars will a stock 2.8 beat off the line

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 01:23 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: what cars will a stock 2.8 beat off the line

ORIGINAL: cincyTT

ORIGINAL: jonus079

Ok, I wasn’t very clear before and I do seem to contradict myself. What I mean is, to make an a4 fast you have to sacrifice drivability (whether this deals with gutting the car or simply getting horrendous gas mileage of a 500hp 1.8t engine), which is why I said it ruins the drivability. ITS A TURBO CAR!!! On the highway your still just running a 1.8L engine and making 30+ mpg. You can contradict yourself all you want, but your in WELL over your head here.

I know what the 1.8t engine is capable of but I also know that any engine is capable of allot more than stock if you want to spend the money. Again, i thought you would of learned by now. But since you havent, ill say it again, SWAPPING RODS WILL ALLOW THE ENGINE TO EASILY MAKE OVER 600WHP. I say thats pretty strong engine since all you have to do is install some $350 rods.

Bottom line is, if you want a fast car (going by my definition of fast) an a4 is not by any means the best way to get there. if you want a nice daily driver, an a4 is a great car. Wow, since there are plenty of a4's that run 11 and 12 et's. All it takes is a decent size turbo (gt28rs+) to make the car and very capable street car

the point i was trying to make in my first post is, who cares what you can beat. fact is, youre driving an audi, which is a very nice luxry car. That has a very capable 1.8t engine.

can you agree with that? if you cant, youre just lying to yourself.... NOPE
You dont know anything about the engine and yet talk mad ****. There are plenty of 1.8t's that have the 500hp engines and are still daily driven. If it wasnt a capable engine, people wouldnt use it in their drag cars in the older VW's and even install it in a Lotus.

Wow I’m really beginning to question how much you know about turbo cars (other than the 1.8t). I’m hoping you are just saying that to make you point better and you really don’t mean it. You are really going to sit there and tell me you’re gunna get the same or even similar gas mileage to a factory 1.8t just cause you are cruising on the highway? Please show me someone with over 400 hp who is still get 30mpg on a consistent basis or even close to that. If this is true why does my factory 2.8l get better gas mileage than a chipped 1.8t passat?? and that’s only chipped, you swapped out the injectors and your really gunna take a hit on gas milage.

Learned what? Why do you keep telling me the 1.8t engine can handle 600whp, did I ever say it couldn’t? Although I don’t believe that it can handle 600hp with only the rods being changed. That’s just bullshit. You keep telling me what the 1.8t engine can do yet I see no real world examples. It funny cause the highest hp a4 I’ve seen puts down 550hp and the engine has been completely redone oh and did I mention that’s with a 2.0 stroker kit. Again im gunna have to ask you to show me someone putting down 600whp with stock pistons….until then, I simply can’t believe such insane claims.

*remember I didn’t say a worked 1.8t couldn’t handle 500+ hp, I said the stock internal (with the exception of upgraded rods as you pointed out) cant so please do post again saying that I said the 1.8t can’t handle 500hp. It’s really starting to annoy me.

Strange, I’ve only seen 2 a4s in the 11 second or better range. Both have 2.0 stoker kits, and both run gt35+ turbos one used racing fuel to get there. It takes a lot more than a gt28 to put an a4 in close to this range. I except that you can get in the very high 12’s with a top of the line gt28 turbo but there is also tons of other stuff you need to do it (injectors, headers, exhaust, fuel pump, etc.)

Do I have to outline my idea’s any more clearly for you to get them???

Old 11-07-2007, 01:35 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: turbo kraut

ok i dont mean to be mean but i have a proposal.

next time im home from college (which is in a few weeks) ill race my friend again and ill record it. if i win, you have to admit to the fact that a chipped 1.8t still isnt that fast. if i lose ill never talk trash on these forums again and you are comptlety and 100% with no exception correct about everything. deal? i know his car is a passat but i think thats a more than fair trade off since its fwd and it lighter (i think).
no offense, but your proposal sucks for 2 reasons

#1 i don't trust his driving skills
#2 you could tell him off camera to loose("hey man, keep it close but loose, i wanna prove a point to these audi such and suchs on the board")

so moral of the story is....... nope....... but if i am ever going to be down in md or you in mo...... then it is on like donkey kong
I can see your concerns but take this in to consideration. My friend is just like you guys. He puts money into his car to make it faster, not to lose to my stock 2.8 and get publically humiliated on the Audi forums. If he races me, he will race me 100% and he is a good as* driver, one of the few people I trust with my cars. I suggest we start a new thread called “chipped 1.8t vs a stock 30v”. I think you will be greatly surprised how close if not faster the 30v is. I have no reason not to be honest, its not like im hooking up my Audi or anything. Trust me, if I wanted to modify my30v to beat a 1.8t I could do it with as little expense as possible. I am an experience fabricator and im not limited like alot 30v drivers.
Chaos92287: I complete understand you point about the 18inch rims and ill post all specifications of both cars so everyone knows what we’re working with.

Old 11-07-2007, 01:43 PM
5th Gear

Wow I’m really beginning to question how much you know about turbo cars (other than the 1.8t). I’m hoping you are just saying that to make you point better and you really don’t mean it. You are really going to sit there and tell me you’re gunna get the same or even similar gas mileage to a factory 1.8t just cause you are cruising on the highway? Please show me someone with over 400 hp who is still get 30mpg on a consistent basis or even close to that. If this is true why does my factory 2.8l get better gas mileage than a chipped 1.8t passat?? and that’s only chipped, you swapped out the injectors and your really gunna take a hit on gas milage. when you on the highway crusing the turbo is no longer boosting, therefore its just the little 1.8 engine keeping you at that speed. so therefore, yes you will have great gas mileage even if your running a BT setup. when your accelerating is a whole nother story
Learned what? Why do you keep telling me the 1.8t engine can handle 600whp, did I ever say it couldn’t? Although I don’t believe that it can handle 600hp with only the rods being changed. That’s just bullshit. no its really not. stock pistons can handle over 700hp, and that has been proven time and time again. you should learn more about the 1.8T before you start making claims about it You keep telling me what the 1.8t engine can do yet I see no real world examples. It funny cause the highest hp a4 I’ve seen puts down 550hp and the engine has been completely redone oh and did I mention that’s with a 2.0 stroker kit. Again im gunna have to ask you to show me someone putting down 600whp with stock pistons….until then, I simply can’t believe such insane claims. now im really starting to think your retarded. a 2.0 w/ a gt35r will net you high 10's. There's a guy named Mike over at AZ who puts down close to 600whp and runs a 10.69 in a 3100lb a4. his is bored out to 2033cc tho. and thats just a4's. you wana talk about 1.8T's. There's a guy named Ed with a revo tuned mkiv golf that has 676whp, a couple 1.8t's in Norway are running 958 and 906, and Joel Brown dynoed at 758WHP with his corrado(which is the current fastest 20v to date)

*remember I didn’t say a worked 1.8t couldn’t handle 500+ hp, I said the stock internal (with the exception of upgraded rods as you pointed out) cant so please do post again saying that I said the 1.8t can’t handle 500hp. It’s really starting to annoy me.

Strange, I’ve only seen 2 a4s in the 11 second or better range. Both have 2.0 stoker kits, and both run gt35+ turbos one used racing fuel to get there. It takes a lot more than a gt28 to put an a4 in close to this range. I except that you can get in the very high 12’s with a top of the line gt28 turbo but there is also tons of other stuff you need to do it (injectors, headers, exhaust, fuel pump, etc.)

i would argue more but i gotta get to class

Old 11-07-2007, 02:08 PM
I'm make believe

Wow I’m really beginning to question how much you know about turbo cars (other than the 1.8t). I’m hoping you are just saying that to make you point better and you really don’t mean it. You are really going to sit there and tell me you’re gunna get the same or even similar gas mileage to a factory 1.8t just cause you are cruising on the highway? Actually its the same or better mpg on the hw. Ill dumb it down for you a bit. Ready.... ok. When the turbo is NOT making boost, guess what? Its only running off the engine like it would being n/a. Only when you make boost are you needing to add more fuel. If what you said would be the case, i would be dumping massive amounts of fuel driving 80mph on the highway, making 0 boost (be about 10-15in hg... thats vacuum for you since your not so bright) and then be running 7:1 a/f instead of 14:1 like it should since your dumping in the same amount of fuel since your at about 4k and would be in boost.

Please show me someone with over 400 hp who is still get 30mpg on a consistent basis or even close to that. Here you go smarts.Link 1 and Link 2They are not all making 400hp, but the same concept applies - great hw mpg and much lower city mpg.

If this is true why does my factory 2.8l get better gas mileage than a chipped 1.8t passat?? beacuse the chipped passat is pretty heavy and the ko3 is just about always in boost when you accelrate. But still wont beat it on the HW. The more you get on it, the worse the mpg. And most people after they get a chip cant stop getting on it.

and that’s only chipped, you swapped out the injectors and your really gunna take a hit on gas milage. Injectors do not change amout gas milage. For example, you will get the same mpg with a BT car running either 440cc or 550cc or even 630cc injectors. Why? Because the a/f is the same with a good tune. The only change is the duty cycle of the injectors. You really have plenty to learn.

Learned what? Why do you keep telling me the 1.8t engine can handle 600whp, did I ever say it couldn’t? You talked about how they cant do 500hp, im just saying they can, all they need is a new set of rods.

Although I don’t believe that it can handle 600hp with only the rods being changed. That’s just bullshit. What?!?! The pistons are Mahle forged pistons and have made over 700hp and some drop in rods can hold over 1000hp, and no one has even broken a stock 1.8t forged crank. So tell me again how they cant doo 600hp again?

You keep telling me what the 1.8t engine can do yet I see no real world examples. It funny cause the highest hp a4 I’ve seen puts down 550hp and the engine has been completely redone oh and did I mention that’s with a 2.0 stroker kit. Again im gunn a have to ask you to show me someone putting down 600whp with stock pistons….until then, I simply can’t believe such insane claims. The 1.8t is in a lot more cars than a A4 LOL. There is now a gti making almost 700whp with stock block and crank with new rods and lower c/r pistons.

*remember I didn’t say a worked 1.8t couldn’t handle 500+ hp, I said the stock internal (with the exception of upgraded rods as you pointed out) cant so please do post again saying that I said the 1.8t can’t handle 500hp. It’s really starting to annoy me. Read page 2 again. You never said stock, you said the1.8t andill take that as in general.

Strange, I’ve only seen 2 a4s in the 11 second or better range. Both have 2.0 stoker kits, and both run gt35+ turbos one used racing fuel to get there. It takes a lot more than a gt28 to put an a4 in close to this range. I except that you can get in the very high 12’s with a top of the line gt28 turbo but there is also tons of other stuff you need to do it (injectors, headers, exhaust, fuel pump, etc.) You should talk to sean1.8t, im sure he can point you in the right direction. He will show you people with pos eliminator kits making 12's. As for the injectors and exhaust etc, thats just a must, you cant swap turbos with other parts that dont fit or support it. dont be stupid

they still be wrong.

you really should just stop now

Old 11-07-2007, 02:47 PM

Does anyone think that they could build a better 1.8t then 034motorsports? I think we can put them up there as bad f*ing ***. http://www.034motorsport.com/feature...red_user_id=59 max power 476 hp and 376 torque. That is a ways off of the 500 and 600 talk. Also I am all for some 30v 1.8t threads with videos, track slips, anything more then talk back in forth. Lets see results. Bone stock, year for year, my money is on 30v all the way. Both with chips, I think it would be closer to a toss up then you guys think. Also, again, have you thought about what 25+ PSI in a daily driver does for your engine? Not so hot. All and all most of us are daily drivers, and consistency, down time for repair, ect. all counts. I think the 30v gets way to much crap on here. I mean the fake wood stopped with the 99.5 can't we stop the **** flinging there as well? Honestly I tired of the talking. Lets get multiple people with multiple videos up. I will try and run my friend with a golf 1.8t and put up the video. He has it chipped with all sorts of custom work. He is definitively lighter. I'll show you what happens.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:10 PM
I'm make believe

Ok mr. wanna make my a4 into a s4 instead of just buying one. Here you go.

ORIGINAL: ggoodling

Does anyone think that they could build a better 1.8t then 034motorsports? They make great cars. Most people use there parts but.... wait for it. I think we can put them up there as bad f*ing ***. http://www.034motorsport.com/feature...red_user_id=59 max power 476 hp and 376 torque. Ok, here it is.... Those numbers are AWHP, not to mention lower numbers since it was on pump gas only. Having a car running 476awhp on pump is pretty impressive. With its race gas and tune with it running 30psi, like CHAOS said above since you cant read made 550awhp.... thats easily 700hp and then some.

Also, again, have you thought about what 25+ PSI in a daily driver does for your engine? Not so Hot.The boost isnt the problem for the engine, its octane. Most turbos you cant run above 25psi daily on strait 93 octane otherwise your asking for trouble. Now if you run w/m injection, you can run high 20's daily no problem.1.8t'sneed a turbo that can runhigh psito move alot of cfm. Again, the pressure is not problem for the engine since thats the way it was designed. Stop talking about a engine you know nothing about. All and all most of us are daily drivers, and consistency, down time for repair, ect. all counts. I think the 30v gets way to much crap on here. Its not a tuner car and thats what the majority of people on here want, something they can mod and make quick/fast. I mean the fake wood stopped with the 99.5 can't we stop the **** flinging there as well? Honestly I tired of the talking. Lets get multiple people with multiple videos up. I will try and run my friend with a golf 1.8t and put up the video. He has it chipped with all sorts of custom work. He is definitively lighter. I'll show you what happens. Your 30v wont break out of the 16's and his golf will easily run low 14's with a chip, turboback and maybe a ic upgrade.
Can the V6 people that do not know the 1.8t stop making post acting like they do....PLEASE?!?!

Old 11-07-2007, 05:50 PM

I wasn't knocking motorsports nor saying it couldn't be done. just trying to show a real car that was beast as hell and fully built and what it could put out on 91 octane. I'm not saying that the 1.8t isn't a great motor. It IS! I am a huge fan. However, the 2.8 isn't horrible. I agree that an audi isn't the best tuner/car to quickly and easily make fast. It is a LUXURY car. If you want to go fast cheaply buy a GTi or a hatch back civic. You can cheaply make those alot faster with a lot less money, and you don't have to rice it out. Alot of people think they can push high numbers of boost into their otherwise stock 1.8t. That is asking for trouble. As you just said 25+ psi on 91 octane is no good with no injection. Agreed, that is my whole point so why are you busting my *****? As to the 2.7t swap, it is the same engine as the 2.8 with a extra liter displacement. With redone internals I could just use s4 parts and a stand alone with no problem. Actually, most likely put down better numbers, +1 liter displacement +1 better tune +1 gearing +1 fully built with fm intercooler. This is what NO ONE could tell me earlier when I was asking. I only heard it's a stupid idea, with no reasoning behind it. No parts list. No solid this is whats is different. Also for the money it would cost to rebuild you could go for a VR6 swap which would produce way more power and be more reliable. No one could tell me this. [:@] So don't worry I have let the idea go. Not because it was hard, it's actually wouldn't be that hard at all. Rather, because for the money I could do better. I'm still not selling my car. It would not be cheaper to have sold it then and just gotten an S4 by the way. If you know cars, do your own labor, and have good sources for parts it wouldn't be that hard. As to the golf, he has a stock turbo with stock inter cooler, he has completely build suspension, and chip, and some stripping and redone piping. I can beat him and have beat him. It isn't a joke and he is always pissed. I am quicker off the line and he can not catch up. He pulls alittle bit on me when I first hit 3rd but it is to little to late. A FULLY BUILT 1.8 WOULD KICK MY 2.8's ***, AGREED. But, like I said, I think we need some track slips and race videos of people with 2.8s going up against 1.8ts with chips. I think that the stock 2.8 vs. stock 1.8t is an already decided debate.

Old 11-07-2007, 05:57 PM

Also fully built 1.8t vs fully built 2.8. Like I said you can turn the 2.8 into a tt with 2.7tt parts. So if you get custom, a fully built 2.8tt will beat a fully built 1.8t. It would cost more and be more difficult, requiring much more work, time, and money, but could be done.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:06 PM
Tech Guru

ORIGINAL: turbo kraut

ok i dont mean to be mean but i have a proposal.

next time im home from college (which is in a few weeks) ill race my friend again and ill record it. if i win, you have to admit to the fact that a chipped 1.8t still isnt that fast. if i lose ill never talk trash on these forums again and you are comptlety and 100% with no exception correct about everything. deal? i know his car is a passat but i think thats a more than fair trade off since its fwd and it lighter (i think).
no offense, but your proposal sucks for 2 reasons

#1 i don't trust his driving skills
#2 you could tell him off camera to loose("hey man, keep it close but loose, i wanna prove a point to these audi such and suchs on the board")

so moral of the story is....... nope....... but if i am ever going to be down in md or you in mo...... then it is on like donkey kong
I can see your concerns but take this in to consideration. My friend is just like you guys. He puts money into his car to make it faster, not to lose to my stock 2.8 and get publically humiliated on the Audi forums. If he races me, he will race me 100% and he is a good as* driver, one of the few people I trust with my cars. I suggest we start a new thread called “chipped 1.8t vs a stock 30v”. I think you will be greatly surprised how close if not faster the 30v is. I have no reason not to be honest, its not like im hooking up my Audi or anything. Trust me, if I wanted to modify my30v to beat a 1.8t I could do it with as little expense as possible. I am an experience fabricator and im not limited like alot 30v drivers.
Chaos92287: I complete understand you point about the 18inch rims and ill post all specifications of both cars so everyone knows what we’re working with.
here is my 0-60 video........ lets see yours
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WsTXRz3VEs

Old 11-07-2007, 06:24 PM

here is some random *** video on youtube of a "2.8 acceleration" I timed them both and well, I'll let you time them yourself. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhS3E36HuEc

Quick Reply: what cars will a stock 2.8 beat off the line