Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weird sound at start up in the morning

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 07:57 PM
1st Gear
Default weird sound at start up in the morning

lately while when starting my car up in the morning to warm it up, i've been hearing a semi-lound kind of high pitched sound from my engine bay. Reving the car has no effect and it goes off within a couple minutes. It sounds like a high pitch and when it shuts off, it sounds sort of like two clicks, like what ever it is is turning itself off. WHAT THE HECK COULD THIS BE? it dosen't bother me much but i want to know what it is so i don't have to worry

Old 12-03-2007, 08:07 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: weird sound at start up in the morning

Its your secondary air pump. It helps get fresh oxygen to the cyl head for cleaner emissions on a cold start. They get noisy over time, and will sound like a hoover vaccum cleaner when on its last leg. Its either that, or the combi valve that is associated with the secondary air pump. Its a metalvalve on the back/top of the engine. Its used in place of an EGR valve found on older engines. The internals of it are metal, when/if it get gunked up it will cause a metalic sort of screech sound when the SAP is operating for the first couple mins on a cold start. No big deal really. If its the combi valve, you would be able to pinpoint where the sound is coming from easily with the hood up. The pump itself is located at front passanger side under the airbox/area.

Please put your yr/engine/tranny/mods in your signature