Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 10:27 AM
1st Gear
Default Weird noise

Well still new to this forum so I am not really sure how to load a pic yet so bear with me.. Well I have had my 01 audi a4 1.8T 5spd. for about two monts now, and just the other night the cel came on. Well I had the car running and took a look under the hood yesterday to see if there was anything wierd going on. Well there is this piece on top of the airbox making this weird buzzing noise, it never did that before the cel came on. Not sure what the part is called but here is a pic of it. Just follow the link and its the 2nd picture and its the part that has the 5 pointed to. http://europeanspeed.com/stage2.htm Does anyone know what the part is called and if that would be causing the cel to be on. Also I have noticed that when I shut of my car sounds like there is some air leaking from the engine bay, is that normal. And one more thing I would like to install a boost gauge and air fuel gauge. I did some searching and was not able to find anything does anyone have a link to some instructions...

Old 08-18-2006, 11:55 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Weird noise

sorry cant help you with your weird noise issue.

the boost gauge is simple depending where you want to put it. i put mine in my center vent (DIY search the sites and you'll find it). run a line through vent and firewall to engine bay. insert T fitting into vac line on front of intake manifold and connect hoses. then splice into your lights on the vent opener/closer. careful they are sooo thin. can be stripped with finger nails. run the ground and reassemble.

heres the line to the DIY

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2365126

step 3 is the most important. lol.

Old 08-18-2006, 01:08 PM
1st Gear

I got more questions. I would like to start upgrading my car so that I could get some more power out it. First off this my first turboed car so I don't know much about turbos. I was looking at some turbo kits on ebay and this is what I came across http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Audi-...17649170QQrdZ1 Good deal are bad? I see in the listing it comes with a blow off valve, I thought audi's can't have does because it wont work properly..

Old 08-18-2006, 05:06 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: cas4067

I got more questions. I would like to start upgrading my car so that I could get some more power out it. First off this my first turboed car so I don't know much about turbos. I was looking at some turbo kits on ebay and this is what I came across http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Audi-...17649170QQrdZ1 Good deal are bad? I see in the listing it comes with a blow off valve, I thought audi's can't have does because it wont work properly..
NO! Never buy ebay turbo kits. The manifolds are crap and it only comes with 1/3rd of the stuff you will need. Look into a chips and bigger turbo kits from APR or GIAC. And yes never use a bov with an audi unless your software is tuned to run without a mass airflow sensor. Start using the search for these questions. There is endless amounts of info if you search for it: Search

Old 08-18-2006, 05:59 PM
1st Gear

Well thanks for the reply. You gave me the answer I thought I was going to get.. Also I do use the search a lot. I rearly ever post anything.. As for my problem with that thing making a noise. Well I think that is why my cel is on and I proprably need to replace it. Does anyone happen to know what that part is called. Please look the second pic on the link above. Ther is a 5 pointing at the part in question....

Old 08-19-2006, 01:07 AM
4th Gear

That is the Evaporative system valve. It should click not buzz. Sometimes charcoal dust from the EVAP canister gets sucked in there. Make sure the connections are tight (electrical and vacuum) and give it some forcefull taps with the handle of a screw driver. That will cause codes. Get the codes pulled and post them here.

Old 08-19-2006, 12:28 PM
1st Gear

Well I ended up installing a boost gauge in the car, and it so happened that the vacume line I was splicing in was busted. (it had rotted away). So I replaced the whole line and disconected the battery to reset the computer and check engine lite went off and has been of since then. I guess mayby it was not that part, I assumed it was because it was making a noise and never noticed it before. Thanks for the help guys...