Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weird chunk out of tire. Picture included

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 05:41 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: weird chunk out of tire. Picture included

ORIGINAL: onepoint8tee

Either you hit something or the previous owner did and you didnt notice it till now. I highly doubt that was caused by someone else and the chances of a snow plow hitting you and doing that minimal of damage is extremely unlikely. If the wheel is on the rear of the car I wouldnt worry about it, if it blows you wouldnt be in much if any danger, just make sure your spare is ready to go if needed. There are shops that could repair your wheel, and if you do that, you might as well get 2 new tires cuz you dont want mismatched tread, unless they are newer tires and you can get the same tire.
This is definitely new. I saw it out of the corner of my eye walking around to fill up the tank, no chance I'd have missed this until now. This is the rear left wheel. It's a quattro, so actually that's an interesting question, what happens different in a quattro when a wheel blows vs. on a FWD or RWD car?

The rear tires were the GOOD one too… ugh… the fronts need to be replaced soon, but now this just sucks. Anyway I'll take it by a shop and get someone to look at it.

Old 02-16-2007, 05:45 PM
5th Gear

what happens when it blows?? umm it blows lol... and you have three wheel drive instead of one wheel drive for a few seconds, then you put the spare on and get some new tires, and you know your really supposed to replace all 4 tires on a quattro car at the same time cuz it can mess up the system if you get different size tires on there even just worn vs new of the same tire

Old 02-16-2007, 05:52 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: jlinaschke

ORIGINAL: onepoint8tee

Either you hit something or the previous owner did and you didnt notice it till now.

This is definitely new. I saw it out of the corner of my eye walking around to fill up the tank, no chance I'd have missed this until now.

OK, I'm an unobservant clod. I just looked at some photos I took of the car when I first got it, and sure enough, there's the bloody damage. These aren't close-ups but they are high enough rez that I can see what appears to be this mark.

I guess the good news is… if it's not new and I've been driving it (hard) for three weeks, I don't need to be afraid of my drive home tonight. But yes, now I know I need to get FOUR new tires soon. Bugger.

At least I know *I* didn't do it. Sheesh.

[IMG]local://upfiles/28447/03849113606D4CCDB00CD49ABC352AE4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/28447/DDFA7E2C4498473997A085A451CCAD0F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-16-2007, 06:12 PM
1st Gear

i'd change that tire asap if you do highway driving.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:16 PM
Bip
1st Gear

did the resteraunt that you were at have a vallet? if so maybe they did it.

Old 02-16-2007, 10:19 PM
1st Gear

grizzly?

Old 02-17-2007, 08:20 PM

Looks like you hita pothole and didnt hear anything unusual "when" it happened. Same thing happened to my Mom's car recently. S___ happens RS

Old 02-17-2007, 10:34 PM
4th Gear

damage from road debris, it is damaged and with any sidewall damage should be replaced.

Old 02-17-2007, 10:49 PM
2nd Gear

The tire is fine and doesn't need replaced, it's only cosmetic damage. All that is damaged is the bead protector which is just a rubber surround to help minimize damage to the wheel. In the picture you can't see cord so it is ok, most tire don't even have the extra rubber there.

Old 02-18-2007, 05:12 AM
1st Gear

Your running 17's? your fine. Most 17in tires have a bead protection layer of rubber JUST like the one that got cut out. You are NO where near the cords, probably about 1/4-1/2 in to the inside of the tire.

What would I do? Run the tires till it needs rotating or replacing, then when you rotate or replace it, have the wheel fixed at a wheel shop that specializes in repairs.. Honestly, if you shop around it'll probably be about 50-100 bucks to clean up the rim. Then I would put either replace all the tires (if need be) or put the tire back on and get it rebalanced...

Not a big deal. Just dont go over around 80mph. (incase something happens.. you should be able to control a blowout at that speed. Especially a rear tire) And dont drive it hard.

If your paranoid and stuff replace it now.. but seriously.. you'll be fine.

Quick Reply: weird chunk out of tire. Picture included