Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weird chunk out of tire. Picture included

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 05:10 PM
1st Gear
Default weird chunk out of tire. Picture included

This is so bizarre; I just noticed this this morning.

There is a chunk of tire and rim missing from the car. It almost looks like I hit something HARD while parking, but I haven't. I can't imagine anything I could kick up while driving could hit the wheel in this way. And look at how sharp and angular the chunk of missing rubber is. Very bizarre. Any ideas on what could have done this?

And I'm of course wondering if a cut this deep into the sidewall is dangerous for the tire or not.

thanks

[IMG]local://upfiles/28447/61E04289BCFA44C9B935C8E05136013B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-16-2007, 05:19 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: weird chunk out of tire. Picture included

Wow, thats a huge chunk. Do you park in a garage? Looks like some kids were out having "fun". [:@]

Old 02-16-2007, 05:19 PM

its called curbing or hitting side sidewalk as you guys would say now all you have to do is decide if the alloy is safe ( the tyre is bad ) and needs replacing

Old 02-16-2007, 05:22 PM
1st Gear

I park in a garage all day at the office, definitely no 'fun' going on there. At home it's outdoors but in a lot so between cars… don't knowhow someone would accidentally slide into the car or anything like that. I suppose last night it could have gotten hit somewhere somehow while parked at a restaurant… but it's a mystery to me HOW something like this could happen, intentional or not. What would have to hit the tire to make damage like that?

Old 02-16-2007, 05:26 PM

its caused by the car moving and hitting an object ( not probable while its stood still ) unless you got hit by a snow plow

edit: take note of the damage to the alloy wheel

Old 02-16-2007, 05:32 PM
5th Gear

yea looks like you curbed something pretty bad or hit something while driving..... a cut that deep it probably pretty dangerous to the tires life and id be careful with it or just replace it

Old 02-16-2007, 05:37 PM
Site Moderator

Either you hit something or the previous owner did and you didnt notice it till now. I highly doubt that was caused by someone else and the chances of a snow plow hitting you and doing that minimal of damage is extremely unlikely. If the wheel is on the rear of the car I wouldnt worry about it, if it blows you wouldnt be in much if any danger, just make sure your spare is ready to go if needed. There are shops that could repair your wheel, and if you do that, you might as well get 2 new tires cuz you dont want mismatched tread, unless they are newer tires and you can get the same tire.

Old 02-16-2007, 05:38 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: avant80@2.6

its caused by the car moving and hitting an object ( not probable while its stood still ) unless you got hit by a snow plow

take note of the damage to the alloy wheel
No snow plows around here. If while moving, how on earth could do such isolated damage?

although… hmm, looking at the direction of the damage (this is rear left wheel) it would appear the car was moving in reverse when this happened, if the car was moving. Then adding to the confusion is the bizarre vampire teeth marks.

Believe me I noticed the damage to the rim as well.

Old 02-16-2007, 05:39 PM

snow plow was J/Kbut the tyre isn't get it changed asap

Old 02-16-2007, 05:40 PM
5th Gear

yea its kinda weird I have seen a very similar thing before , it happened when a large chunk of something in the road got run over, i think it was a piece of metal i dont know for sure

Quick Reply: weird chunk out of tire. Picture included