Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

waste gate question

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 05:48 PM
1st Gear
Default waste gate question

When I finish building my engine I am looking at getting unitronic programing. I want to get a tubular manifold with an external wastegate because everyone says thats the way to go plus it looks cool. Can I do that with this software? Is an external wastegate controlled the same way an internal is?(sorry for the noob questions)

Old 06-25-2007, 06:12 PM
I'm make believe
Default RE: waste gate question

no real point in a tubular manifold for a stock turbo.also they are far more prone to crack aswell. the turbo is already internally gated and would cost you ~$250 for an external gate, plus the manifold, dump tube, and more to weld the stock unit shut. Gains = 0hp and 0 tourque, your total cost ~$600ish

Old 06-25-2007, 06:30 PM
3rd Gear

Don't put an external wastegate on a turbo with a built in one. It's just redundant. Save your $$ & put on a bigger turbo, or other mods that will help.

Yea, they work the same way.

Old 06-25-2007, 06:36 PM
3rd Gear

I am assuming if you're building your engine you will be slapping on a larger turbo. You also said you were going to use Unitronic tuning so I am also assuming that you will be going with an Elim turbo or the Garrett GT2871R? both of these run internal wastegates so an external wastegate would be like 2k S4 said, redundant and would serve no purpose. A tubular manifold on the Elim turbo would be overkill because enough has been proven with the elim kits on stock manifolds with a Port and Polish (though may crack if ran too hot), however, a tubular manifold would be benefitial with the full blown Garrett GT series and would improve your turbo spool. If you have anymore questions PM me and I would be more than happy to help

Old 06-25-2007, 06:55 PM
1st Gear

come on guys give me the benifit of the doubt. That would be dumb to put an external wastegate with a stock turbo or one that already has a wastegate. My plan is a GT30r with a t3 flange. I guess I should have added that at first...sorry

Old 06-25-2007, 07:01 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: theguy1084
come on guys give me the benifit of the doubt. That would be dumb to put an external wastegate with a stock turbo or one that already has a wastegate. My plan is a GT30r with a t3 flange. I guess I should have added that at first...sorry
The turbo type is kind of important don't you think? If you use a GT30R, you kind of have to use a external WG. So you would need an exhaust mani made for the WG, the software should not care what one you have, they are controlled the same way. You will also need to modify the DP to accept the new diverted WG.

Old 06-25-2007, 07:08 PM
1st Gear

Cant I just vent the WG to the atmosphere. There is nothing like a monster carbon footprint..I guess I assumed you guys would know I was going BT when I said that I was building an engine

Old 06-25-2007, 07:18 PM
I'm make believe

you can just run a dump for the wastegate, it will just be loud under boost.

AND YES, YOU KNOW PEOPLE ON THE FORUM, SO SAYING 30R WOULD OF BEEN HELPFUL

Old 06-25-2007, 07:31 PM
3rd Gear

PM'd ya back

Old 06-25-2007, 07:38 PM
Zombie Defense Force

dang this is my kind of topic. i love external wg. you dont need any different program it will work the same as an internal wg. you dont need to route it back into the exhaust unless its too loud for you. get a tial 38mm wg and you good. all you need is a dump tube to the ground. and then a header to attach the wg to

Quick Reply: waste gate question