Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to replace timing belt myself.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 11:51 PM
1st Gear
Default Want to replace timing belt myself.....

Can this be done without the chassis "alignment tool 3369" as noted in the Mitchell repair guide? I hate buying special tools just for one job.

thanks

Old 05-27-2005, 12:13 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Want to replace timing belt myself.....

Yes ... get two pieces of 8mm threaded rod, about 12" long each and you're home free. Same difference for $8 instead of $50. Do yourself a favor and get the ECS Tuning Timing Belt kit with water pump and everything you need. The only thing they leave out is the o-ring between the pump housing and the block, so you might want to get that.

Old 05-27-2005, 12:28 AM
1st Gear

Ok cool. Will it be obvious what I do with the rod? The Mitchell guide I have isn't very specific.

Thanks for the o-ring tip btw.

Old 05-27-2005, 01:07 AM
1st Gear

Yeah, you'll see. Once you remove the bumper you'll see the impact absorbers and 3 or 4 bolts attaching it to the frame. There's 4 holes on each side, 3 bolts on one, 4 on the other. What the hell that's all about I don't know. But remove the top bolt(s) on each side and thread in the piece of rod. I made fancy home made jobs out of 3/8" rod, grinded and rethreaded to 8mm because I couldn't find 8mm rod [sm=headbang.gif] anywhere locally. The good thing I did was also get some metal tubing to slide over the rod. That way you can rest the whole radiator support panel on tubing rather than drag it back and forth over threaded rod. You might want to thread a washer and nut on the end of the rod just to make sure you don't slide the support panel right off the end. By time your done those f'ers will be bent to s*&^ and you'll be glad you didn't buy any. Works really nicely though and the whole setup is kinda cool.

Old 05-27-2005, 01:57 AM
5th Gear

i recommend getting a snub mount to replace while youre doing the tb...they're 50 bucks at ecs, apr, and almost everywhere else...or 13 bucks at www.greedspeed.com

Old 05-27-2005, 02:07 AM
1st Gear

I wish I had known that! [sm=headbang.gif]

Old 05-27-2005, 02:58 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: bentframe

i recommend getting a snub mount to replace while youre doing the tb...they're 50 bucks at ecs, apr, and almost everywhere else...or 13 bucks at www.greedspeed.com
Mine's an auto, would I still benefit from a new snub mount?

Old 05-27-2005, 06:10 AM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: Dr Pooface

ORIGINAL: bentframe

Mine's an auto, would I still benefit from a new snub mount?
sÃ*, señor

Old 05-27-2005, 11:53 AM
5th Gear

How inferior is the greedspeed one? haha, that is a HUGE price difference!

Old 05-27-2005, 03:29 PM
2nd Gear

they are all just about the same.. just the name selling it. i have the greed speed one to

Quick Reply: Want to replace timing belt myself.....