Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

it vibrates when I make a hard turn

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 06:00 AM
1st Gear
Default it vibrates when I make a hard turn

hi all,
I have a question.
When I make a complete stop and make a hard turn (doesnt matter, right or left), my car vibrates.
is that normal?
could it be the differentials?
please lemme know.
oh yeah,
I have a 96 a4 quattro.

Old 01-24-2007, 06:10 AM
5th Gear
Default RE: it vibrates when I make a hard turn

cv joint maybe

Old 01-24-2007, 10:17 AM
1st Gear

i have the same stuttering/vibration problem... with a clunk in the passenger side front wheel when i hit bumps.. my mechanic couldn't find anything, but he didn't look very hard. i asked right when they were done with an oil change and i was kinda in a rush so i told him to give up. next time. i've decided just to live with it for now since i just spent a sh*tload doing the timing belt and stuff. yeah yeah, i should have done it myself.. but its too damn cold, and i don't have a garage. i didn't want to wait til spring, cause i've been doing a lot of driving lately and didn't trust it. i figure better to change it at 60k, than rebuild the engine.

Old 01-24-2007, 10:37 AM
4th Gear

I think on full tight turns its normal.

Old 01-24-2007, 12:24 PM

Yeah, mine does the same on full turns when you have the wheel turned as far as you can. I wouldn't be worried about it, I'm pretty sure it has to do with the differential or the AWD

Old 01-24-2007, 01:29 PM
Site Moderator

On full tight turns (especially if you are not moving) it is normal. It's your steering pump.
Actually you should not be turning your wheel all the way in either direction while stopped. This is hard on your steering pump, and the vibration you get is your pump complaining about all the work your making it do.

Old 01-24-2007, 08:18 PM
1st Gear

its kinda hard not to make tight turns, esp at traffic light u turns, parking spots, driveways, etc.. i'm questioning whether this problem is normal or not. cause i've had more than a few awd cars, and none of them had any problems like that.

Old 01-24-2007, 08:21 PM
4th Gear

The turns you listed are not "tight" your steering pump might be fucked up if its making a vibration for everyday turns.. were talking like turning around on a 1 way small *** street.. like FULL ON turning the wheel and then engaging the clutch, then it vibrates cause its so tight... If your vibrating on turns at stop signs or lights thats not normal.

Old 01-24-2007, 08:33 PM
1st Gear

if i give it even half throttle, it vibrates on any of those turns. i've gotten into the habit of accelerating, and then turning and just coasting through, especially for the u turns. i asked my mechanic to check the pump, and he said its fine. when they did the timing belt, they changed all the belts and now its about half as bad as it was i can say.

Old 01-24-2007, 08:39 PM

whats the condition of the tyres?? are they wearing uneven??

Quick Reply: it vibrates when I make a hard turn