Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valvetrain damage

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 12:13 AM
6th Gear
Default RE: Valvetrain damage

It's not especially common thankfully.

Old 12-28-2004, 04:39 AM
1st Gear

I actually talked to the shop foreman and the service manager today and they showed me the new head already assembled with all new cams, cam chains, cam chain adjuster, etc. The 'braintrust' claimed that the valves were bent on startup after reassembling and replacing the cam adjuster and gasket and that the piston were not damaged. They claim the cam adjuster was the culprit and that it had somehow malfunctioned and caused the timing to be a wee bit out of tolerance. That is all that is takes, allegedly. Their story seemed plausable to me especially while I was looking at the brand new equipment installed on my machine. They also showed me the damaged head and valvetrain that was sitting on the bench and stated that the valve are of such strength that if they touch the pistons they would "bend like matchsticks". And so they did just that. There is a 12 month/ 12,000 mile warranty on their work and I will try to monitor it like a hawk. The first sign of oil leaking or rattling or anything they will get a visit from me. We are going to become best friends. I can do this all day as the dealer is right across from where I work. The service manager said something curious and I did not know how to respond. He said that this cam adjuster has frequent failure and that they fixed quite a few engines because of it. I was also getting a revamped version of the item. I did not know if it is a part failure or a methodology failure that was the real root cause. I told him that this fact did not inspire me to have them work on my car again especially in light of the lack of communication that they with me about this issue. I am not sure if they thought that I wouldn't notice my car missing for a couple of extra weeks. I am going to have to be deligent in the documentation of this caper in order to protect myself

phil

Old 12-28-2004, 11:14 AM
6th Gear

Are you talking about the timing belt tensioner? If you are then yes the older ones have high rates of failure.

Old 12-28-2004, 09:41 PM
1st Gear

Negative, they called it the cam chain tensioner.

Old 12-29-2004, 12:02 AM
1st Gear

As for the warranty I agree 12 months 12k miles is good. If you mess up the engine and they are fixing it. However you DIDNT mess up the engine they did. I would demand at least a 2 year unlimited miles warranty. If they are very confident in there work they will work with you on this. If not tell them you will go elsewhere for your next audi.

z

Old 12-29-2004, 01:14 AM
3rd Gear

Haha goodluck gettin that kind of promise from any dealer or having them keep it...

Old 12-29-2004, 01:42 AM
1st Gear

These guys are REALLY STARTING TO GET TO ME. I just landed this tuna in my driveway and smelled the sweet smell of burning antifreeze. I open the hood and low and behold the whole entire engine compartment has the oily essence covering everything. I also just noticed that the windshield has a crack in it. I feeling a little trapped by having this same set of bozos working on my machine. Will it ever end? I guess this is my own personal tsunami!

phil

Old 12-29-2004, 02:32 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: SlimChriz

Haha goodluck gettin that kind of promise from any dealer or having them keep it...
It would be easy is all you have to do is start talking numbers on how much money they could lose by them screwing you over and you would be amazed how there attitude may change towards you.......

Old 12-30-2004, 04:33 AM
3rd Gear

right right theyll promise the world but when sumthin brakes you think theyll fix 1 1/2 years later?