Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valvetrain damage

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 11:15 PM
1st Gear
Default Valvetrain damage

Took my 2001 A4 1.8 turbo Avant to the dealer for a needed repair to the gasket for the cam adjuster. The engine sounded like a diesel when idling. I did not hear from them for about a week becasue they said they needed to get the part. I go to the dealer and ask about the car. Lo and behold the service manager informs me that the mechanic that was working on the car had ruin the head and valvetrain because he didn't time the valve correctly. Ouch! I hate that when that happens!

Question=What should I ask of the dealer in regards to the internal damage to the motor.
What might be the long term damage to the motor by having this happen. Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

Phil

Old 12-27-2004, 12:44 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Valvetrain damage

theyll probly be putting a new head on this should be free of charge to you obviously the only problem I can see is if the pistons are damaged but its not likely.

Old 12-27-2004, 02:15 AM
1st Gear

What is the likelyhood that the wrist pin, rod bearings, crank bearings et al might be damaged from this blunder by the mechanic? Is it minimal because it would not have run very long or is this a case of a little really means a lot? I just cannot see how a trained mechanic could allow this to happen as the Bentley Manual I have warns to turn the engine 2 full revolutions to assure that the timing is right.

Phil

Old 12-27-2004, 03:00 AM
3rd Gear

yah I doubt it there pretty beefy(pistons) and the vavles are wimpy in comparison...

I dont know how he did it when I did my Timing belt I hand cranked my engine a few times to make sure everything was where it was suposed to be...

Old 12-27-2004, 03:17 AM
1st Gear

Feeling fractionally better. The bozoz are going to attempt to fix it and I'm still a little nervous. Thanks again
Phil

Old 12-27-2004, 04:26 AM
3rd Gear

your welcome but I hope it works out for you...

Old 12-27-2004, 12:14 PM
4th Gear

Ask the service manager , how long they warranty the engine?

Old 12-27-2004, 08:41 PM
4th Gear

The only real way to know if the pistons were damaged is to have them magnifluxed, but that involves taking the whole engine apart. with the pistons being made of aluminum, and the valves being at least hardend steel, the likelyhood that the piston is damaged is definitly something to worry about, I would personly ask for a new engine, but I thing getting them to extend the warrenty would be accepted alittle better by the dealer. Good luck man and good to have you here.

Old 12-27-2004, 09:34 PM
6th Gear

This is pretty much a crapshoot man. There probably won't be any long term damage, or you could have problems down the road. No one is going to be able to give you the correct answer with any amount of certainty. Get EVERYTHING documented in the repair process, cause if something happens down the road the dealer is going to play stupid.

Old 12-27-2004, 10:53 PM
1st Gear

Just how common is seal or gasket leakage, leading to cam chain adjuster clatter? I just had my cam seals and CCA replaced at the 4 year / 25K mile = 40K km mark, fortunately under my 10/100K powertrain warranty (2001 Passat wagon, AUG 1.8T engine). Fortunately, the tech. at my local dealership appears to have done the job right.

Quick Reply: Valvetrain damage