Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve Cover(gasket, paint, breather)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 06:42 PM
1st Gear
Default Valve Cover(gasket, paint, breather)

im replacing my valve cover gasket tomorrow and im also goind to paint the valve cover with some black high temp paint and Red audi rings on it..i was wanting to use krinkle coat...but do you guys think it would hold up?

also. i do NOT have the factory fitted valve cover breather fitting...i was wondering if i should put a breather fitting on it while i have it off...and then attach a breather filter?...or is their anyway i could do the breather like maybe take the pancake valve out and re-route it to dump back into the breather fitting?

and tips for this job?

Old 01-17-2008, 06:53 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Valve Cover(gasket, paint, breather)

The valve cover is made of aluminum for a reason, it dissapates head very well. Painting it will make your engine run hotter, but do whatever you want.

As for the three way PCV hose on the back of the valve cover, just replace it. If you don't, a check engine light will be your reward.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:58 PM
1st Gear

im talking like a heat resistance paint...like 2 coats

and i dont have the three way hose..i was wondering if i could add it and rid of the pancake valve.

fyi.. i am modded

Old 01-17-2008, 07:01 PM
I'm make believe

There are 100's of people with painted valve covers, me being one of them. Even if its painted, it will still dissapate heat heat really well. If what you said was 100% true, the aluminum part of my wilwoods wouldnt be powdercoated.

Kemp, i just used good ol krylon krinkle paint on my cover. Its not even high temp and it holds up just fine. If you want it to last forever, get it powdercoated.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:02 PM
Site Moderator

A. heat resistance paint directs more heat back into your engine......

B. Yes you do have the three way crank case hose on the back of the valve cover cause ALL 1.8T engines haveit.

C. You can't get rid of the PCV (puck valve) because it would dump oil into the intake, you can add an oil catch can instead if you wanted to, but thats way over your head.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:04 PM
I'm make believe

oh, here is my brothers breather set up. And yes, this was before we put the clamps on by the filter. And yes, that puck/regulator peice is long gone

[IMG]local://upfiles/28034/EBBB73502DD54C3FA15464FAD5AD882B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/28034/4E75E54BB2054AAEB856C8C32EA6B467.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-17-2008, 07:06 PM
1st Gear

ok...i love the look of krinle coat..i think ill have to do it

but i do need to tape off all the holes in the valve cover before i paint it correct?

and my plan is to paint it red(as the undercoat) and i made audi rings and "1.8t" sticky templates so then i can put those on the valve cover and paint with krinkle coat then take the masking off and have red rings an "1.8t"

i think it sounds like a good cosmetic mod

Old 01-17-2008, 07:06 PM
Site Moderator

^^^^That should work just fine.

and IMO kemp you can paint the valve cover like cincy says, i just think its a bad idea.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:08 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: auditech79

A. heat resistance paint directs more heat back into your engine......

B. Yes you do have the three way crank case hose on the back of the valve cover cause ALL 1.8T engines haveit.

C. You can't get rid of the PCV (puck valve) because it would dump oil into the intake, you can add an oil catch can instead if you wanted to, but thats way over your head.
well i do not have any pcv lines going into my valve cover..

and why is a catch can way over my head?...

and i was talking about dumping the pcv line straight into the valve cover instead of the intake

Old 01-17-2008, 07:11 PM
I'm make believe

Here is my painted. The bay is durty due to me sanding down the manifold

As for the catchcan, Kemp search "catch can" with my name in the TT section. It will help you do what me and my brother run in the pics above

Quick Reply: Valve Cover(gasket, paint, breather)