Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VAG-COM a Necessity?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 04:07 AM
1st Gear
Default VAG-COM a Necessity?

Going back and forth on whether to buy the acutal vag-com or just a regular OB scanner...

i dont believe ill be doing any "tuning" or ecu changes ... ill leave that to someone who knows what the hell they're doing....i just need it to maybe clear a check engine light or airbag light or read fault codes....

pretty much the only thing holding me back is the fact that i dont have a driveway pulling up to my window where my comp is...(no laptop)...and i would need 150+ feet of cable to reach my computer.....

from what i got off the website you need to connect your car directly to your comp....am i reading that wrong or should i probably just get a regular scanner...

i need you guys' approval...since everyone seems to be all VAG or nothing...thanks

Old 11-07-2007, 07:55 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: VAG-COM a Necessity?

Yes, you can connect your car directly to your computer. I bought a Vag compatible serial cable off of eBay and a USB-Serial adapter and downloaded the free Vag Com software (I'd like to...find...the full version at some point). Anyway, the whole setup was like $50...$35 for the adapter from Radio Shack! Yikes. But if you have a serial port, obviously you won't need one. With the free software, you can, at the least, clear codes and reprogram your remote to control the windows.

But, if I had had a little more money, I would have gotten this:

https://www.audiforums.com/m_364796/tm.htm

Old 11-07-2007, 09:09 AM
4th Gear

If you don't have a laptop, buy one of these:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...&category0=

Old 11-07-2007, 09:44 AM
Site Moderator

If you just want the capability to check for fault codes/clear CEL's, then a regular scanner is all you need. Vag Com is priceless for those times when a fault code doesnt directlypoint you to the solution,which happens.

Old 11-07-2007, 02:30 PM
2nd Gear

although i didnt catch what kind of car u have, if u are going to get into the audi scene full time, i like the fact u can log with vag and learn a lot of stuff about your car, how high EGTs get and how long till your car is cooled down, you can track boost which can help u determine a leak or valve going out, all kind of fun stuff

Old 11-07-2007, 04:05 PM
1st Gear

It may be worth going wit the Full Vag Com system like papa said. Buy some cheap laptop from ebay for $100-$200. Doesn't have to be new or fancy with a blazing quick processor. Thats what my roomate did for his 240sx. As long as it works and you can plug the cable into it it should be fine. It will be waaa yeasier than getting a cable all the way to your PC, lol.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:14 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: sineo

Yes, you can connect your car directly to your computer. I bought a Vag compatible serial cable off of eBay and a USB-Serial adapter and downloaded the free Vag Com software (I'd like to...find...the full version at some point). Anyway, the whole setup was like $50...$35 for the adapter from Radio Shack! Yikes. But if you have a serial port, obviously you won't need one. With the free software, you can, at the least, clear codes and reprogram your remote to control the windows.

But, if I had had a little more money, I would have gotten this:

https://www.audiforums.com/m_364796/tm.htm
i like that right there..seems that alot of people have been happy with that setup....im going to email the guy and see if he is still into those....thanks for the link...

Old 11-07-2007, 09:23 PM
Administrator

A guy at work has VAG in his PDA. I don't know if it's a full-bore version or a stripped-down, essentials-only version of it, but that might be something to consider. You could have it with you at all times like that.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:26 PM
5th Gear

vag com is not an essential but it's def good to have. and guess who just got sum extra dough and just bought a cable? mauhahahahahaha

Old 11-07-2007, 10:01 PM
1st Gear

haha congrats....i got antsy and bought that vag setup on a palm pilot form that thread mentioned above...im stoked....it seemed like he had good feedback and it seems completely awesome....

i instant messaged the guy and he answered a few questions and now i gotta wait 2 weeks...he makes them himself i guess...