Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrade after accident?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 02:11 PM
Default Upgrade after accident?

<FONT face="Courier New, Courier, mono" color=black size=1>I just got in an accident in my 97 A4 1.8. Damage includes front bumper, fender, hood, and Lt headlight/sidemarker. Can anyone recommend some options to fix it. It is my first audi and although Ihave only had it a few months , I love it. It's Stock so I figured I'd use some of the insurance money to help w/the upgrades.Here are my questions. Anyhelp is greatly appreciated.</FONT></P>

<FONT face="Courier New, Courier, mono" color=black size=1>1)Body kit? I'm lookingfor a nice fitting/decent quality rs4 look but nothing too extreme. Is it necessary to buy the whole kit (how much lower would the front bumper sit)? Heard of any subtle kits out there-I use my car for work so it can't be too extreme.</FONT></P>

<FONT face="Courier New, Courier, mono" color=black size=1>2) Headlights - Are there any headlights (mod/or factory fit / 1 or 2 piece?) that I can buy now thatare easily upgradable to HID ( Idon't think I can afford the HID right now along with my 500 deductible and other upgrades).</FONT></P>

<FONT face="Courier New, Courier, mono" color=black size=1>3)I'm running on 15's now and saw some cheap stock 17's in the paper. I think I'm going to get them but are they necessary if I get a body kit? Any other alternatives?</FONT></P>

<FONT face="Courier New" size=1>4) Seperate question: My a4 has the factory alarm but no remote. I don't think that one ever came with the car. Is it possible to upgrade the unit so I can use the switchblade remote that I got off ebay?</FONT></P>

<FONT face="Courier New, Courier, mono" color=black size=1>5) Any experience with body shops? The prices quoted on the insurance claim for parts is kind of high. I haveseen cheaper oem parts out there. CanI get them and bring them to the shop to save money or put them on before it gets to the shop? (Unfortunately I already got the hood - hope I can use it)</FONT></P>

<FONT face="Courier New, Courier, mono" color=black size=1>Please keep in mind that I am on a budget. The intial insurance estimate is $2600. I am looking to throw an extra 1000/1500 into it. Am I dreaming?</FONT></P>

<FONT face="Courier New, Courier, mono" color=black size=1>Thanks in advance for any replies. I'm new to the Audi world but think I'm here to stay. Great forumyou have here! </FONT></P>

Old 01-31-2004, 02:49 AM
3rd Gear

you really have to search around for parts 4000 is a good start but thas alotta work id look on all the major audi sites and see if its doable if you have questions about certain products you can ask on here but its alot of lookin around to find parts you can find an RS4 front bumber for 1000 at ecstuning.com but thas just the front you can find a whole kit for a little less look here http://129.33.208.33/ecat2004/dsp_pa...DI%20A4%201997and there a place on ebay that sells 2 piece head light kits that look cool that they say are easily upgrade able to HID thas ebaymotors.com

Old 02-02-2004, 12:27 PM
Site Moderator

1) Body kit? I'm looking for a nice fitting/decent quality rs4 look but nothing too extreme.

Buying full body kits is ok, but its cooler to mix and match to get the look you want. Check out www.lltek.com for options there. The RS4 bumper is good looking and sits pretty low - but not too low. Throw some sides on there with a rear valence and your set.

You can get an S4 bumper for the same price as an A4 bumper, but an OEM the RS4 bumper will cost you more. You could go with a look-alike from Rieger or something which would keep costs down.

2) Headlights - Are there any headlights (mod/or factory fit / 1 or 2 piece?)

Get some factory eCodes single piece headlights. www.ecstuning.com has them for a good price. Note that this requires a little fender trimming (under the lights - not in view). Very common mod that can be upgraded to HID later.

3) I'm running on 15's now and saw some cheap stock 17's in the paper. I think I'm going to get them but are they necessary if I get a body kit?

If you don't have the sport package (if you have 15" stock wheels then you more than likely don't), get a suspension upgrade before you get bigger wheels. Otherwise the wheel gap will look even larger. Other than that, bigger aftermarket wheels are always nice to have...

4) Seperate question: My a4 has the factory alarm but no remote. I don't think that one ever came with the car. Is it possible to upgrade the unit so I can use the switchblade remote that I got off ebay?

I had a friend try that on his 97 and he was unsuccessful.

5) Any experience with body shops? The prices quoted on the insurance claim for parts is kind of high. I have seen cheaper oem parts out there. Can I get them and bring them to the shop to save money or put them on before it gets to the shop? (Unfortunately I already got the hood - hope I can use it)

You should be able to work with the body shop and have them order in the parts you want - assuming there is not a huge difference in price.

Brrman...

BTW - ECSTuning's RS4 bumper is OEM polyurethane - not fiberglass. Cost more but much stronger. Anything other than OEM will be fiberglass - which is why its cheaper.<edited><editID>brrman</editID><editDate>38019.3959837963</editDate></edited>