Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Updated: Pictures (New Headlights, Painted Lowers)

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 05:54 PM
3rd Gear
Default Updated: Pictures (New Headlights, Painted Lowers)

Well, I've made a few cosmetic changes and so I took some pictures...pretty self-explanatory except it was bright as hell so most of the pictures I took are worthless. New headlights...I like them and they were really easy to install. I just did that this morning so I can't comment on the light output yet, but from the bit I was able to see in my garage, I think they are a vast improvement over the stock reflectors with my 4300K HIDs. I painted the lowers and the last picture is to show how Duplicolor's Radiant Silver is not a perfect match for pre-99.5 silver cars. Neat. I ordered some of the right color from paintscratch.com, but it hasn't come yet. After I fix that, I want to do a light tint on the tails and I definitely need to get the windows tinted, but there're so many...it's expensive. And at some point, maybe this weekend, I'm going to remove the key colored body side molding strips.

Edit: Hey, Leifer, if you read this, can you photoshop the last pic to make the wheels black with a silver lip?

Also, I want foglights. So, go ahead and install that FMIC and sell me your fogs, kthx.

Name:  DSCF0287.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  86.8 KB
Name:  DSCF0288.jpg
Size:  43.5 KB

Name:  DSCF0277.jpg
Size:  53.6 KB
Name:  DSCF0276.jpg
Size:  15.3 KB
Name:  DSCF0275.jpg
Size:  85.0 KB
Name:  DSCF0266.jpg
Size:  108.9 KB
Name:  DSCF0294.jpg
Size:  109.4 KB

Okay, so after my first night with the Depo projectors, I was worried...the beam pattern is BIZARRE. It zigs and zags across the top and there's sharp cut off on the left beam that made the lights shine about twice as far on the right side as they do on the left. It wasn't an adjustment issue, but I was able to make them mostly usable with a lot of tweaking. But today, I was like, forget it, I'm going to see what the problem is. So, I took them out, took them apart and pulled the projector and voila, zig zagged cut off shield. To fix that, I cut open a coke can and folded it in such a way that it would produce a straight cut off and super glued it on. While I was at it, I added a bit of red to the new shield so that when the light shines on my projectors and the headlights are off, they glow red. I took some pictures of the strange shield and my solution. There is a straight cut off now...it's much, much better...we'll see how much better tonight. To anyone considering the Depo headlights from ebay, I recommend taking care of this before installing them or you'll be disappointed.

Name:  DSCF0297.jpg
Size:  55.6 KB
Name:  DSCF0302.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  36.9 KB
Name:  DSCF0303.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  31.4 KB
Name:  DSCF0309.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  68.4 KB
Name:  DSCF0306.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  93.2 KB

Edit 10/4: It's important to me that I seem mostly coherent, but I'm mighty drunk at the moment, so I'll update briefly. The beam pattern with the new cut off shield is AWESOME. Fin.

Old 11-02-2007, 05:58 PM
Default RE: Pictures

nice job!

keep up da good work!

the first three pics are pretty worthless, did u clear coat over da duplicolor? did u sand before you painted?

Old 11-02-2007, 06:01 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: qUaTtRoA4

nice job!

keep up da good work!

the first three pics are pretty worthless, did u clear coat over da duplicolor? did u sand before you painted?
Thanks! Not bad for a girl.

Yes, I clear coated and sanded. But I didn't do a very good job with the filler primer on the front and rear valances so there is a textural difference that I will correct when I repaint them. Also, the color difference isn't very obvious on the side molding, but it is at the front and back.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:03 PM

im thinking about painting my lowers my self. But im clueless on how to do this for example, paint color, sanding and what kind of paint. Do u have any ideas? all sugestions will be helpful thanks.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:05 PM
1st Gear

damm im jelous as hell!!! i like it a lot... some might not like those lights, but i think they looks awesome. i want to get the same... whered you get them from?

the painted lowers make a big difference. i cant wait to do it.. how easy would you say it was for you?

window tint would make a huge difference... post if you do it
props on a sick avant

have a good weekend people

Old 11-02-2007, 06:12 PM
Administrator

Looks good - I see what you mean about the paint mismatch. My car is pre-99.5 also and I'm going to be painting lowers. Thanks for posting up that it's not an exact match - sorry it didn't work perfectly for you.

The new headlights - are those the "RS4" lights from eBay? They look good.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:14 PM
Administrator

Also, would you mind posting up the paint code of the paint that you ordered from PaintScratch? It'd probably save a lot of us some time, seeing as how about 90% of us have bright silver cars.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:28 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: tbird236

im thinking about painting my lowers my self. But im clueless on how to do this for example, paint color, sanding and what kind of paint. Do u have any ideas? all sugestions will be helpful thanks.
I used the DIY on audidiy.com, right down to the paint code...everything except for the paint color was excellent, it's a great DIY. I would order your paint from paintscratch.com...it's a lot more expensive than Duplicolor, but as you can see, Duplicolor can be disappointing.

ORIGINAL: UpstateNYA4

The new headlights - are those the "RS4" lights from eBay? They look good.
Thanks, and yes. Like $151 shipped. Find them here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=300164718148

I recommend that seller, too. They arrived in less than a week.

The paint code for Aluminum Silver Metallic is LY7M.

ORIGINAL: dombombBMX
the painted lowers make a big difference. i cant wait to do it.. how easy would you say it was for you?
It was very, very easy, but very time intensive. It took me like 6 hours. The prep was the worst part, a huge pain taping everything off. But I've never done anything like that before and except for it being the wrong color, I think it came out great, so I give it a 1 on a scale of 1-10 for being super easy.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:33 PM

love the bottom pic!

cant see the others well

Old 11-02-2007, 06:57 PM
3rd Gear

looks good!

Quick Reply: Updated: Pictures (New Headlights, Painted Lowers)