Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update: Prepping for h20

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 05:53 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Update: Prepping for h20

Well my digi cam is good, its just my video camera that broke. I have a canon sd550 digi cam which I love, and I have a canon zr70 which I used to use for video but is now broken.

Anyways I just got back from the autoshop... First off, dont work on ur car at 4am if ur tired...Apparently the other day when i bolted the oil return on, I never removed the shipping plug on the turbo, and when i looked in the compressor housing this morning it was full of oil, and I mean FULL. Tomorrow I gotta pull off the intercooler because i'm sure theres about a quart in there as well. I also dropped a wrench in an intercooler pipe tonight which i need to retrieve.

So I fixed that and took out the shipping plug[:@] I really hope the seals aren't blown although theres a good chance they are.

I rebuilt that coolant pipe that I was talking about yesterday, and I built a new intercooler pipe coming off the turbo which will utilize the stock cummings vband clamp, oring, and flanges, so that should work pretty solid... a huge step up from the old hack job temporary piping i had... Here's pics.
Old

New

Keep in mind although the welds look like ****, half the reason I'm redoing the plumbing is to get some reliability back, and the other half is because we got this syncrowave tig welder, and I've always wanted to teach myself to tig weld, so this is a perfect opportunity. Here you can see my first four welds of tig welding aluminum by myself in order... Looks like im slowly picking it up I think Hopefully a couple more weeks at it, and I'll have it all figured out. I found out tig welding is a hell of a lot harder than stick and mig!

Oh yea and I helped my buddy Rob start to pull his motor which he is building to the same specs as mine interally, and hes doing a gt3076

Old 09-20-2006, 06:13 AM
5th Gear

nice dueling A4's

Old 09-20-2006, 11:59 AM
Site Moderator

The welds to look much improved from the first to last.
You're both nuts.

I decided on a different turbo for my long term project.

Old 09-20-2006, 12:26 PM
1st Gear

werd .... lol its been like a good 6 months since i loged on to audi forums... i miss it ... yea i can always count on tom for a good story ... ps ill see you at h20 again ...

Old 09-20-2006, 03:50 PM
1st Gear

Sweet car!! Need to see it in person this weekend if your bringing it down to h20.

Oh, and is anyone crusing through DE to go down. I'd love to hop in on a nice drive down

Old 09-21-2006, 01:42 AM
5th Gear

well is it all running and happy or what????

Old 09-21-2006, 06:46 AM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: TomRitt

Anyways I just got back from the autoshop... First off, dont work on ur car at 4am if ur tired...Apparently the other day when i bolted the oil return on, I never removed the shipping plug on the turbo, and when i looked in the compressor housing this morning it was full of oil, and I mean FULL. Tomorrow I gotta pull off the intercooler because i'm sure theres about a quart in there as well. I also dropped a wrench in an intercooler pipe tonight which i need to retrieve.

So I fixed that and took out the shipping plug[:@] I really hope the seals aren't blown although theres a good chance they are.
I talked to him yesterday. He's checking the seals on the turbo to make sure they're not toast.

Old 09-21-2006, 08:38 AM
1st Gear

As always Tom your car is amazing and love your work. I cant wait to hear more about the results once its running. I sure cant wait for dyno results once they come. Thanks again for sharing everything.

Old 09-25-2006, 03:36 PM
3rd Gear

Got the car all buttoned up after 4am nights everyday last week, went to start it the night before h20... it wont start, ended up taking my friends cummins, and my roomates insane wrx...then blew the wrx motor on the way home[:@] took 19hrs to get home after getting the car towed and whatnot

Old 09-25-2006, 06:26 PM
Site Moderator

Suckiness.

Quick Reply: Update: Prepping for h20