Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update: Prepping for h20

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 04:07 AM
3rd Gear
Default Update: Prepping for h20

Ok so some ppl have been asking me whats going on with my car, so I figured its time for an update.

OK where to begin. Well a few weeks ago on my way to my gf's school in vermont, i had to pull over because of smoke billowing out from under my hood. I ran outside with the fire extinguisher and popped the hood. Luckily no fire but oil was dripping onto my exhaust mani. I let it cool and clocked the turbo on the side of the rd, and extended the oil return with some tube and hose i had, and made it there. Then on the way back i cracked the coolant port for the second time which sits on the back of the head. Tha happened because my motors mounts are shot and the motor lifted up knocking the coolant port into the msd coilpacks.

This is when i decided it was time to redo all my plumbing.

I started with the downpipe. We just got a tig welder and I wanted to learn to use it (Yes I really suck at tig welding!!) so first i made a race pipe. Its a 3.5" pipe that dumps out just in front of the front axle.

After that I built a new downpipe that attaches to the rest of my exhaust. I also welded a new runner onto my manifold for the wastegate. The old runner was thinner material which couldnt support the wait of the tial wastegate so the new runner is schedule 40 stainless like the rest of the manifold. I also built a new dumptube for that which was a very close fit. Then I rewrapped all the exhaust parts with heat wrap.

I also obviously replaced the oil lines with new fittings (not jegs ones this time, but russel ones instead). Since the turbo came off a cummins which makes 55psi oil pressure max, and the 1,8t makes over 100psi, i needed to make an oil restrictor. So i made one out of a nitrous jet. Heres some pics.

Oh I also got a new turbo to replace that other one which had an exhaust side which was too big. This one has a compressor wheel about 1/16" smaller, and the exhaust side is much smaller which should be great. Some pics

I also replaced the 3 bar fpr with a 4bar fpr just to make sure i dont run outta fuel.

I am currently building the new intercooler piping on the turbo side. This turbo has a vband comp outlet so im gonna run to dodge tomorrow and get the clamp and oring for it, and i cut hte opposite side of the vband off another holset and i will weld the aluminum piping to that and make it one piece to the intercooler plus a hump hose., No pics of that stuff yet, hopefully it will be done tomorrow.

I also need to install a new axle in place of what that has been slinging grease everywhere.

I think thats all for now, all that took place between tues and fri of last week...here's some other pics from within the last week.

Old 09-19-2006, 04:08 AM
5th Gear
Default RE: Update: Prepping for h20

YAY your back tom, we missed you so much good to see you still have the beast, and what is your new turbo, hx 35/44 hybrid or what

Old 09-19-2006, 04:12 AM
3rd Gear

And my spelling sucks...

Administrator

wow, whats that blue dot next to ur turbo

3rd Gear

yep, i have the rabbit as my dd for the time being

Old 09-19-2006, 04:21 AM
Zombie Defense Force

***** i dont know what else to say

Old 09-19-2006, 04:41 AM
5th Gear

that turbo makes you lil evo shake in its boots
ORIGINAL: Jeff

Old 09-19-2006, 06:17 AM
3rd Gear

now thats a big turbo.

Old 09-19-2006, 07:10 AM
Site Moderator

Delicious.

Tom, when does that thing hit full boost?

Still looking for more compressor maps.

Old 09-19-2006, 12:57 PM
Zombie Defense Force

ya no **** thats one audi i would get raped by....
ORIGINAL: BadLuckAudi

that turbo makes you lil evo shake in its boots
ORIGINAL: Jeff

Quick Reply: Update: Prepping for h20