Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unusual rpm drop

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 01:32 AM
4th Gear
Default Unusual rpm drop

Anyone had this issue?

97 1.8tqm - no CEL or any codes.

When I take the car out of gear, like coming to a stop light, rpm drops down to like 500k for a second or two, then after about 2 secs, it goes back up to the normal 900k or so.

If I am in nuetral, and rev the engine say like to 2 or 3 k, then let off the gas completely, same thing. it drops down to like 5-600k, for about 2 seconds, then goes back to normal.

Last week i replaced the starter. So, the battery was disconnected for like a day. The night the starter went, I push started it, and it started, but for some reason the idle did not want to go above 500k. The next day, after driving a little, it was idling just fine, as it is now. it just drops for a couple seconds after i release the throttle completely.

DONT say check the ICV. My car does not have an idle control valve, only the 6cyl has it.

So, i gues I will try to clean the Throttle body, and see if that helps. Anything else I should look at?

Has anyone had this issue with their 1.8, and if so, how did you fix it?

thanks in advance!

Old 11-28-2006, 01:34 AM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Unusual rpm drop

Did you do a TBA after you hooked the battery back up? Its a must whenever youve had your battery disconnected.

Old 11-28-2006, 01:35 AM
2nd Gear

Well, if you turn AC on or roll down a window, the RPM's drop because of the load on the engine, the computer doesnt add fuel right away. When you are engine breaking or the engine is slowing down, it cutts the fuel to it to save gas, then starts it back up when the RPM's get low. it sounds like that ishappening.

or i cdould be compleetly wrong...

Old 11-28-2006, 02:03 AM
4th Gear

Didnt know RPM's had 500k and 900k

But thats how my car felt two days before the clutch went out. Have you ever replaced your clutch and whats your mileage...

2 days before the clutch became clearly sipperly, I would put it in 2nd, start accelerating and it would hit 5k rpm so i'd let off the gas and the rpms would drop down near 2k and it felt nasty and hard, didnt feel to nice on my engine... because all the extra RPMS were just over rev and werent actually accelerating the car... Does your car still accelerate normally? Any thing else feel unusual like i described?

"or i cdould be compleetly wrong..."

Pro ^

Old 11-28-2006, 02:07 AM
4th Gear

I am throttle cable.

I thought there was no TBA for a 97?

Is this wrong?

ORIGINAL: onepoint8tee

Did you do a TBA after you hooked the battery back up? Its a must whenever youve had your battery disconnected.

Old 11-28-2006, 02:09 AM
4th Gear

Ace, respond to my post please! I might know your issue if stuff like I said is taking place, go into detail what it feels like when the RPMS drop

Old 11-28-2006, 02:15 AM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: Amze

Didnt know RPM's had 500k and 900k

LOL, my brain is stuck in computerland. It should properly read at 500rpm and normal idle speed of 900 rpm. Sorry bout that.

There is no load on the engine. It happens when I push the cluctch in or if the car is in nuetral. I can duplicate the problem with the car in the garage in nuetral by revving the engine to 2500, and taking my foot off the gas. The rpm drops to 500 rpm for a sec or two, then goes back to the normal 900rpm smooth idle.

The car rips it up as usual, no problems there. and the car is not stalling out, so its not causing any problems. Its just different than the car usually behaves, so I am looking....

Old 11-28-2006, 02:18 AM
4th Gear

Im telling you man, thats exactly what mine did... But that ended up being a clutch issue and only took place during actual driving. You can actually sit in neutral and cause this issue to occur, hmmmm.... I know the feeling, when it does that, doesnt feel nice, I hate it.

Trying to think of another cause [&:]

Old 11-28-2006, 02:22 AM
Site Moderator

You may want to try the coolant temp sensor. It controls how the car idles. I replaced mine along with the spark plugs a little while ago and it runs 100% better now. Temp sensor and o-ring are cheap, even from the stealership. Make sure to get the clip also. They have a tendancy to break. Make sure to drain the coolant or it will end up all over the back of the motor.

Old 11-28-2006, 02:24 AM
4th Gear

The car is running smoothly, it doesn't shake or anything like that.

Maybe I need a tba. I'll check the haynes real quick and see if it mentions it for the car.

Quick Reply: Unusual rpm drop