Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unknown Cause: Oil Leak Already searched

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 03:08 AM
1st Gear
Default Unknown Cause: Oil Leak Already searched

Some of you may know I have an ATW 1.8t, for those that dont, you now do. Just recently, as in today, I noticed a small area of an unknown substance under the car. I didnt think to much of it, until after I returned home and saw a larger area of the same stuff. Check it out and its all 100% oil. So, I figured ok, the car as 136,xxx miles on it. I'm sure its going to leak some fluids here and there. I then checked my oil level and its at the "B" level, so I figure I can add a quart or half to bring it back up to A. I have had nothing but lost oil today. I know the weather can sometimes affect pressure and metals. It has been bitterly cold here recently, but today it was out of the norm lately. So, I guess I cant really relate that to the cold today. As I said, I have NOT noticed it anywhere else other than today ( Im **** I look for that kind of sh*t all the time).

I figured Id hop on the board and see what others had to say first. Then went back out to troubleshoot. I removed the engine cover to hopefully be able to get a little better look. Ive narrowed it down to this:

I dont see any oil anywhere near the turbo or DP. the feed and return lines seem to be clean and free of leaks. the driver's side of the car seems to be clear of oil as well. My concern is I noticed quite a bit of accumulating at the rear of the motor, particularly around the firewall, which seems to be caked. While I noticed some fresh fluid around the top of the valve cover sitting in the crevices. So Im wondering if its the valve cover gasket. When I check the oil level I didnt notice any coolant in the oil, so that leads me to believe its not the head gasket. While Ive pretty much ruled out the turbo as well. Problem is I dont have access to a lift at the moment so I am concerned about the turbo to a certain degree. Though most of what I see seems to be around the firewall and even the puddle ends up right about the same place Im suspecting.

So now, what do you think Im looking at. I could probably check the smic for oil, but at this point it seems like overkill considering I havent hurt the motor. Only once did I smell a little burning oil and that was last night only for probably a split second, then it was gone.

Im looking for any possibilities at this point being as I havent had the opportunity to get a mechanic to check it out yet. Most of the time, Id rather do my own work anyway. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 02-13-2007, 03:13 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: Unknown Cause: Oil Leak Already searched

Umm what about your Oil-Pan? and/or Drain Plug? Oil leaks can alos be caused by bad Oil pressure sensor---learned the hard way on my 96 a4

Old 02-13-2007, 03:18 AM
1st Gear

I know I didnt mention those but I pretty much ruled that out from the simple fact that there seems to be fresh oil on the back of the valve cover. Considering I havent had a chance to really get under the car, I guess I cant 100% rule that out just yet. Most people gorrilla the damn drain plug on so if thats actually the problem Id probably sh*t.

Old 02-13-2007, 03:24 AM
Site Moderator

I dont think you would lose THAT much oil out of a bad valve cover gasket. Other than that, I dont know what to tell you. Did you check the oil cooler and also the tightness of your oil filter?

Old 02-13-2007, 03:52 AM
1st Gear

I check out the oil filter and the entire drivers side engine compartment and it was pretty spotless as in no grease or oil grime. As far as the cooler, I didnt look at it. Im assuming it near the smic? Just realized today that there was one on there from the factory.

I agree with you that would be a considerable amount of oil coming from a gasket leak. I just wonder how long it has been leaking. Weird thing is I never have noticed it. Plus it just went through PA inspection in July and clearly passed. If it had a bad oil leak it never would have passed.

Old 02-13-2007, 04:54 AM
4th Gear

well when my sensor was bad..... i had literally a puddle.

wasnt pretty

Old 02-13-2007, 04:59 AM
Site Moderator

oil filter screws onto the oil cooler.

Old 02-13-2007, 01:54 PM
1st Gear

well that would make sense, but like I said I found nothing on the drivers side of the motor.

Old 02-13-2007, 02:44 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: Dj Spiel

well when my sensor was bad..... i had literally a puddle.

wasnt pretty

I bet that was a bitch to change man... I'm looking at taking mine out for my oil pressure gauge sender...

Old 02-13-2007, 10:41 PM
1st Gear

I highly doubt its my sensor being as theres no puddle, but there is no code being thrown for low oil.