Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two questions for Audi techs(trans temp and eng oil level)

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 04:54 PM
1st Gear
Default Two questions for Audi techs(trans temp and eng oil level)

My car is a 98 A4 1.8t FWD. When i change the engine oil I put in exactly 4.3 quarts and the dipstick read about 2mm above the overfull mark. I noticed this guy changed his and got the same condition after only 4 quarts. http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng10.shtml

My manual also says it takes 4.3 quarts. The thing is, I read that there are many different dipstick sizes so i'm wondering if maybe the right amount of oil is in there despite the reading. Anyone know what the deal is?

My second question is how long do you have to run the engine before you get to the proper trans fluid temp to check the level? My Haynes manual says "about once around the block", but is that a cold start or should the trans already have been warm somewhat?

Old 02-15-2006, 05:14 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Two questions for Audi techs(trans temp and eng oil level)

did u change the filter?

Old 02-15-2006, 05:18 PM
1st Gear

right .you have to consider the filter volume,start engine then recheck.

Old 02-15-2006, 05:23 PM
1st Gear

Yup the filter was changed, and the engine has been run for many days. I've done so many oil changes in the past, i didn't even think to check it.

Old 02-15-2006, 05:46 PM
Default RE: Two questions for Audi techs(trans temp and Eng oil level)

98 A4 1.8t oil and filter = 3.5 litres
on changing the oil and filter just run the engine for a minute so it fills he filter then recheck - a run round the block is required,

Old 02-15-2006, 08:58 PM
1st Gear

Weird, so both the Haynes manual and the owners manual are wrong, and to make things more odd, i have the larger oil filter. What's going on there? I asked an Audi tech about it today, he assumed the dipstick was where is should be.

Old 02-15-2006, 09:21 PM

my data is from autodata technical which garages use and is supplied by the manufacturers to autodata regularly so its reliable otherwise I wouldn't post it, oil above the mark is definitely not recommended as the excess pressure could blow seals " its as bad as having low oil if not worse" I always have my level slightly below the mark because this allows the engine to breath better when booting it

Old 02-15-2006, 09:24 PM

spelling got a little crapped up there hence the edit

Old 02-15-2006, 09:57 PM
1st Gear

Oh thanks, i really appreciate the info.

ps. my spelling sucks as well, no shame (i have to use google toolbar spellcheck in order to show my face on forums.)!

Old 02-19-2006, 02:33 PM
3rd Gear

Make sure you remove the oil filter first and then drain the oil. If you dont oil will drain into the pan when you pull the filter but the plug will not allow it to drain out so you will already have oil in the pan when you begin filling. The 1.8 should take 4.2 quarts of oil with the new larger filter. Sometimes a little less but right around there.

As for getting the proper trans temp you need a scan tool for that. Theres way to many variables to "drive it around the block". Some trans heat up really fast and some take a bit of time.

Quick Reply: Two questions for Audi techs(trans temp and eng oil level)