Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo Xs BOV

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 04:27 PM
1st Gear
Default Turbo Xs BOV

I just installed a turbo xs rfl blow off valve onto my 1999 audi a4 1.8t quattro.. and i do not know if i should be using any washers to tighten the spring inside.. can anyone help me?

Old 12-27-2006, 04:54 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Turbo Xs BOV

err...flaming time. ur not supposed to use a BOV. ull run ritch...

Old 12-27-2006, 05:10 PM
Administrator
Default So question for you then...

I've seen all the posts about using a recirc valve instead of a blowoff on these cars too. Is the sole reason for this the rich spike during a shift? I know some people look at a BOV as ricey and all, but that's all personal preference and I'm not gonna open that can of worms. If it's only the rich spike though, why not use something like an S-AFC with its Deceleration Airflow Correction function, which I've heard is meant for tuning down the fuel on a shift to prevent that rich spike. I've seen some talk of the AFC around here anyway, and I'm sure there are guys using them - why not use that function, especially if you're on a BT setup? There's gotta be someone around here (I imagine one or more of the S4 guys/girls) pushing enough power to overwhelm the Forge valve's capacity. In that event, a BOV would be a better tool to use, and the AFC's DAC function could really be put to use.

Not trying to start a peeing contest or anything here, but is the BOV hate just because of the rich spike and some people's aversions to what they see as rice? Or is there some other more fundamental reason why a BOV is a "bad idea" on an Audi? I'm talking technically here, not anything like "BOVs don't belong on an Audi because it's not that kind of car" or other such BS.

Old 12-27-2006, 05:20 PM
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Old 12-27-2006, 05:31 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: So question for you then...

ORIGINAL: UpstateNYA4

I've seen all the posts about using a recirc valve instead of a blowoff on these cars too. Is the sole reason for this the rich spike during a shift? I know some people look at a BOV as ricey and all, but that's all personal preference and I'm not gonna open that can of worms. If it's only the rich spike though, why not use something like an S-AFC with its Deceleration Airflow Correction function, which I've heard is meant for tuning down the fuel on a shift to prevent that rich spike. I've seen some talk of the AFC around here anyway, and I'm sure there are guys using them - why not use that function, especially if you're on a BT setup? There's gotta be someone around here (I imagine one or more of the S4 guys/girls) pushing enough power to overwhelm the Forge valve's capacity. In that event, a BOV would be a better tool to use, and the AFC's DAC function could really be put to use.

Not trying to start a peeing contest or anything here, but is the BOV hate just because of the rich spike and some people's aversions to what they see as rice? Or is there some other more fundamental reason why a BOV is a "bad idea" on an Audi? I'm talking technically here, not anything like "BOVs don't belong on an Audi because it's not that kind of car" or other such BS.
Not at all. I just have learned that they cause you to run rich and eventually cause detrimental wear and tear on your motor. I have no hate for rice. I actually lik elots of cars considered "rice" and love blow off valves. I dont think there are many things that sound cooler then a blow off valve except for an assualt rifle or a jet. But that aside BOV's are not good for our cars.

Old 12-27-2006, 05:43 PM
5th Gear

a bov will make your car run poorly, its not just long term, it wont idle and it will stall out all the time

Old 12-27-2006, 06:13 PM
Administrator

That's the first real nuts-and-bolts answer I've seen on this topic - thank you BadLuckAudi. It does no one any good when they ask about a BOV to just say "Don't use a BOV - they suck" as a lot of responses seem to be. I understand, search and ye shall find, yada yada, but still. Seems though that if the car is idling rough and stalling then maybe the particular BOV in question may be leaking. It should be sealed tightly until a shift occurs and manifold pressure exceeds charge pipe pressure. If it's stalling out and leaking down, it seems like maybe there's an air leak. As for blowing up the car, forgive me for being relatively new to the Audi scene, but has anyone seen it happen? I haven't seen any posts to that effect. Richness in fuel delivery usually leads to rough idle (fouled plugs, etc), so what's the chance that the poor idle that the BOV is taking the blame for directly, is actually an indirect result (due to the rich spiking)? I'm not denying any of this stuff - I'm openly asking since I've never seen it documented anywhere. Usually the claims of engine damage come from leaning out, not richening up, so this is new to me how a rich condition on an Audi would destroy its engine. Keep in mind that most of the time an aftermarket tuner will tune rich for safety on a turbo car (as will the OEM), so the cars really are always running rich - you aren't going to find a car running 14.7:1 A/F ratio from the factory - it's gonna be closer to 11:1 in all likelihood.

Playa, I know about search. I also have a 2.8 with no boost. It's not me that needs the answer to this for my own car. Just an attempt to start an intelligent thread on the topic is all. As for hating rice, why? Rice tastes good, especially when smoked on the street

Old 12-27-2006, 06:19 PM
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Old 12-27-2006, 06:22 PM
3rd Gear

use recirculate kit and 1 washer then you'll be all set. I have Turbo XS DV and using only one washer. (3 or more washers cause missfire)

Is it the DV or BOV because there is 2 kind of Turbo XS. If it is DV and using as a bov, then you will need at leat 15 washers to hold it right, spring is too weak to use it as a bov.

Old 12-27-2006, 07:26 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: playa256

ORIGINAL: UpstateNYA4
Playa, I know about search. I also have a 2.8 with no boost. It's not me that needs the answer to this for my own car. Just an attempt to start an intelligent thread on the topic is all. As for hating rice, why? Rice tastes good, especially when smoked on the street
Then maybe we should have said this.

I hate ricers. I live in L.A. where there are WAY too many of them with their fake carbon fiber hoods and big *** exhausts that make them sound like lawnmowers.

Rice only tastes good with fish btw.
Beef or Chicken with the ocassional shrimp.

Quick Reply: Turbo Xs BOV