Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo Upgrade Round 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 03:58 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Turbo Upgrade Round 2

ORIGINAL: BaconBait

What were the specific problems you ran into? I'd also like to know how you guys fixed them. I remember some stuff about nuts and bolts not fitting correctly with the turbo and manifold.
muahahahhahah! Search for "pray for arif"... Print it out, its good bathroom reading material too. Well I think rennart didnt sent the right bolts, and the stock ones werent long enough for the mani-turbo.. The manifold was a PITA to bolt on and you gotta remove the bracket that is under the turbo if you havent done that already in your previous turbo swap.. that was a pita too. Oil line was a pita to fish down through to the oil pan, and just lining everything up wasnt easy.. Rerouting the DV from the greddy fmic piping wasnt easy either. He made multiple trips to home depot among other places to get the right plumbing.

Old 05-18-2006, 05:49 PM
Site Moderator

I read up on Arif's saga not too long ago. I took out most of those problems when I did my first swap. I checked the manifold-to-turbo bolts as soon as I received everything. Took out the turbo bracket last round. I'm not sure what the problem with the oil line is. DV hose problem was also taken care of last time.

My main concern is with the head-to-manifold studs.

Old 05-18-2006, 07:00 PM
Site Moderator

My main concern is with the head-to-manifold studs.
yup that was the hardest part for us.. You gotta put them on in a certain order/pattern to be able to get all the nuts onto the threads and tight... The piping on the manifold is so big that its hard to get the nuts inbetween and onto the threads if that makes sense.. Its also hard cuz a socket bit doesnt fit well between the piping either to tighten them.. I think we used an allen wrench to tighten most of them at an angle, a little bit at a time.

Old 05-18-2006, 07:09 PM
Administrator

good luck on everything
i think you should go get a virgin VW/audi and then offer it to the turbo gods
make sure it is a virgin car u dont want to anger the turbo gods

Old 05-18-2006, 07:19 PM
2nd Gear

Good Luck, Craig.
If you and Dan think of any tools that you might need shoot me a PM and I'll get them to Dan to take over if I have them.

Old 05-18-2006, 07:31 PM
3rd Gear

300whp will be not enough to you very soon

yeah manifold -> turbo -> test/cat pipe. allign is pita. you need friend to allign them very well.

oil return is pita too. it took me about 1-2 hours. if you have longer hose than original then will not be a problem.

Since it is not your first try, you should be ok. It is time consuming... It will take more than you think.

Good luck.

Old 05-18-2006, 07:36 PM
Site Moderator

Was it the oil return or the coolant return you were having problems with?

Old 05-18-2006, 07:43 PM
3rd Gear

only oil return. oil return hose is little short so really hard to reach to the oil pan.

Old 05-18-2006, 07:44 PM
3rd Gear

As long as my MAF arrives by Friday, .....
only the housing right ? lots of people missunderstand about it. only need 3" maf housing. You'll use the stock maf sensor with 3"housing.

Old 05-18-2006, 07:47 PM
Site Moderator

Hose? You mean the metal pipe right?

Quick Reply: Turbo Upgrade Round 2