Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

turbo timer....

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 06:51 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: turbo timer....

That projection seems little optimistic. Every dyno is differnent but 42hp different seems like a big change. With the high altiltude the air is more dense, you car should like that.

Old 01-12-2005, 09:46 PM
1st Gear

lol dude completely wrong, the air is thinner at elevation(ie less dense) all cars hate elevation. mathmatically you lose about .5 psi every thousand feet of elevation(not turbo but atmospheric pressure) where i am now i am losing about 4 psi of atmospheric pressure, at sea level the atmospheric pressure is 14.7psi (thats what a bar is atmospheric presssure at sea level) since i am at 8k ft now my atmospheric pressure is at about 10.7psi, so my turbo has to work harder to reach max boost and it spools slower since the engine itself is down on power(before the turbo). and since the turbo is spinning faster its making hotter air, so my max power is down due to that too. a naturally asperated car will suffer GREATLY at elevation. most people say its about 20% slower up here, a lot of people say cars are about 1 second slower at our tracks elevation(5k) which i have found to be pretty accurate.

but i do agree with you, i think that the SAE elevation hp difference equation is flawed, there are too many variables for it to be correct all the time, ans since they use the same equation for turbo and NA cars that tells you right there its wrong.

sorry man, im sorta in shock that you said that..... try google if you don't believe me, but you'll find the same info, probibly less.

Old 01-12-2005, 10:36 PM
4th Gear

hahaha, no i know, dont know what i was thinking. Yeah that equation does seem a little off.

Old 01-12-2005, 11:41 PM
1st Gear

yeah its cool, i hate when people up here say "i make 230 at the wheels" and i say "is that correct for the elevation" "then shut the **** up your not making that power, thats a theoritical projection of what you MIGHT make at sea level, not what you do make here" its just another way ricers bull ****.

yeah my civic has much more torque than it has tires lol. when its raining i can spool the turbo up and the tires will spin in any gear(above 3k rpms) its pretty cool to be driving on the highway in the rain or just wet ground stomp it at 70mph and have the car start to drift around from the tires spinning. it has really nice road racing tires(yokohama advans a03r(i think)) so they are great at the track that i race and work at but shitty for drag(stiff sidewalls) and really shitty in the rain and omfg snow is beyond scary. but if you get a set of drag radials on that civic or better yet slicks it would drop the 60 ft times to a reasonable 2.0 with radials or 1.8-1.7 on slicks, that alone will decrease the cars time to low 13s possibly high 12s with the right wind, lol.

on a completely side note, how well do a4 quattro b5 trannies hold up to abuse such as drag racing etc?

Old 01-13-2005, 12:03 AM
1st Gear

I may get slapped for being a puss, , but I wouldnt drag my B5 Quattro! I wouldnt want to hurt it. The car in my opinion has decent ***** but a lot of style and class. I just enjoy driving it around and feeling pimp without dubs! Holla!!

Old 01-13-2005, 12:23 AM
1st Gear

yea i aggree, im done with drag racing, its just pointless to me. i might drag it once or twice once i do something major, but this ain't no drag car, and its way too nice to just break and not worry about it. plus i don't feel like dropping an AWD tranny, it doesn't look like fun, rebuilding it would be cake but dropping it might take some work.

Old 01-13-2005, 12:36 AM
4th Gear

The awd system is really good, you will be in debt before you come close to dropping it.

btw- rabthol, its even more fun schooling people and rolling around pimping while doing it.

Old 01-13-2005, 01:00 AM
1st Gear

do you mean i will be in debt from performance parts before it'll break on me(besides syncros, thats driver)? if so thats good to hear, i know from personal experience how some cars(AWD DSMs mostly) like to chew up and spit out trannies

Old 01-13-2005, 01:06 AM

I respect that.

Old 01-13-2005, 01:07 AM
4th Gear

"do you mean i will be in debt from performance parts before it'll break on me"

yeah

Quick Reply: turbo timer....