Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

turbo timer....

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 02:56 AM
1st Gear
Default turbo timer....

hey guys do you think a turbo timer is nesseecary? i was told to leave my car on for atleast two min after hard or long driving but i hate just sitting there. so do you think i can get a turbo timer and will it fit?

Old 01-10-2005, 03:08 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: turbo timer....

turbo timers aren't really necessary but always a good idea, especially if your running more than stock boost. but since its a water cooled turbo the main objective of the turbo timer doesn't really apply as much. what a turbo timer allows for(or just sitting in your car) is the oil in oil cooled and lubricated turbos to cool down to more tolerable levels. since the oil in these turbos gets a lot hotter than in watercooled turbos(like the 3k) the oil gets hot enough to "coke" or get crusty, only when it stops moving, once the engine stops flowing oil through it the oil just sits in all the lines and the small passages and cokes, it sorta makes a blood clott in your turbo and after a while it can kill your turbo due to lack of oil. allowing the car to cool down allows the oil to cool down to a level at where it will not be able to coke.

in summary turbo timers really arn't necessary in an audi, as the oil never gets hot enough to require a cool down.

Old 01-10-2005, 03:47 AM
2nd Gear

I beg to differ...oil does get hot..why do you think we have oil temperature gauges? I agree with greenday in that a TT is not necessary. You should leave your car on to let it cool after a hard drive. Don't think of it as a pain..you really only need to do this after you just shredded some road. Some people are highly particular and let their ride sit for 30seconds to a minute no matter how hard they just drove. Others get TTs and forget it. Personally...if I was feelin a little "frisky" with the petal I'll let mine cool till the end of whatever song I'm listening to on the radio...usually works out. Like anything involving physical friction..proper warmup and cooldown are vital to functionality.

I would personally recommend against a TT due to the P.I.T.A. they are to install as well as the potential security issues they assume. Not to say they are bad at all. If you do it right, a TT can be a very handy tool and your turbo will benefit from it.

Who here has a TT? I know brrman used to on his old B5. Anymore pointers would be great.

-T

Old 01-10-2005, 04:56 PM

i have a TT. i like it cuz the car runs without the key so i dont have to sit and wait. the install was a pain in the ***. finnally i gave up and took it to a plac e so they could install it.

Old 01-11-2005, 12:18 AM
1st Gear

oh of coarse the oil gets hot, im just saying that in and around the turbo the oil never reaches its point of de materializing(coking) if the oil can't coke then cool down is not vital, where as if the oil reaches its coking temperature then cooldown is vital to ensure healthy turbo return line and connections. in audis the oil will never reach the temperature of coking as the turbos are watercooled.

but yeah cooldown time still isn't a bad idea. on my civic i ran one because its oil cooled and lubricated so it will get hot enough for the oik to coke. it was an HKS Turbo Timer Type 2, it also measured 1/4 mile 0-60 60-120 etc, pretty cool. i just hardwired mine onto the back of the ignition.

Old 01-11-2005, 01:06 AM
4th Gear

Have you seen an audi turbo after a hard run? there bright orange alot of the time because of the heat, yeah the oil may not coke but that oil is extremely hot. What kind of time were putting out with the civic?

Old 01-11-2005, 01:10 AM

use the Blitz DSTT it has all of those that the HKS has but it also has a digital boost gauge and a boost alarm

Old 01-11-2005, 01:54 AM
1st Gear

if i bought one would i be able to install it my self? and what are some good brands? apexi?

Old 01-11-2005, 01:58 AM
2nd Gear

Apexi, Greddy and Blitz are the ones I've heard are good stuff.

Check here for an idea on how the install goes. Like said before..its a pain in the *** but if you're good with electronics and wiring..shouldn't be a problem.

-T

Old 01-11-2005, 02:08 AM
2nd Gear

It's your money, but I'd watch the clock for three or four minutes, turn the car off and go spend my money on something that will actually increase the performance of the car. JMO

Quick Reply: turbo timer....